This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blu ray to blu ray rip time

just got all the hooks and components and go to try and copy transformers 2 and it tells me 24 hours!?! i read 3-4 hours normal, but 24 hours? my computer is not the fastest but tell me if i'm doing something wrong or could be doing something better ... 3Ghz 2G Ram LG Burner 8x i believe... please help if possible, thanks

I am assuming you are trying to compress this to a 25GB file versus the 50... try that...

Comment

set up to go to bd-25 1080p ... first time i left it at bd 50 didn't take that long but don't have the required discs... have no option on full disc to change to bd-25 so i went to main movie changed to bd-25 knocked out a few languages and went for it... been 13 hours and 50% through lol... sad

Comment

1st try ripping to your hdd first in full disc mode. Then use that main folder (with the BDMV and Certificate folders within) as the source in main movie mode instead of converting from your optical drive. You should see a faster converting speed.

Comment

k will try this after 8 hours, thats how long i got till my first burn is done...

Comment

Ok, using that method is better imo since it will save wear and tear on your optical drive and if compression is needed it still may take a bit to process, 3-4 hours on average for most users. Rip full disc to hdd and then you can put your original disc back in its case to prevent any possible damage also. good luck.

Comment

System specs?

You say you have a 3Ghz CPU, but how many cores? If it's a single core, then 24 hours wouldn't surprise me. 2GB of RAM isn't that much now a days either. What operating system are you running? Believe me, a faster CPU, more RAM and a supported GPU for GPU acceleration will cut down on that time significantly! I recently upgraded from a AMD Athlon X2 5600 (2.8GHz) dual core CPU to a AMD Phenom II 965 BE (3.4 GHz) quad core and it cut my times for copying/ripping blu-rays in half! (if not less!)

For example, on my older processor, copying a blu-ray's main movie that was 1h 30m (about 15GB), compressing to BD9, 1080p took anywhere from 5.5h to 6.5 hours. Now it only takes 3 hours at most with the new CPU. Similarly, when using another ripping program I use so I can rip a blu-ray movie to an .MKV (can't wait till DVDFab supports this!), my speeds almost tripled! When ripping a movie using 2-pass mode, 720p @ over 4000kbps my average FPS for the 1st pass was about 14 or 15 FPS and for the 2nd pass wasn't even half that! The 1st pass is always faster, but both together would normally take 8 to 10 hours! I ripped UP and it took only 3 hours with the new CPU, 1st pass was at 40 FPS and the 2nd pass was at almost the same rate!

I plan on buying a new video card next year once I get my tax return $. (Eying an Nvidia 285 GTX 1792MB) This card should definitely help with GPU acceleration and cut down on time by another 10% to 15%. (I have an ATI GPU right now and DVD Fab, so far as I've seen, only likes the Nvidia chipsets for GPU acceleration!)

Comment

Hectic's post is 100% correct. Hardware will be a BIG factor in compression speeds. Also Fab doesn't support conversion from BR to mobile formats (yet). Good point and true on all accounts!

Comment

i went and bought a new computer, well refurbished and wasn't trying to get nuts with it, at the time wasn't expecting to be burning blu ray... pentium 4 - Ghz, 2 G of Ram, but bought a video cards nvidia geforce 8400 gs and running on xp

Comment

So after copying to HDD then do Write Data and let it compress? transformers will need compression going to a bd-25...

Comment

After you rip full disc to hdd remove disc from tray, select main movie mode (since you want/need compression to fit to a 25GB disc). Click the folder icon beside the source dropdown. Then select the main folder that contains the BDMV and Certificate folders within it (it's probably named your movie) OR the iso tab beside that same folder IF you ripped to an image file. DE-select languages and subtitles (all you can for better quality) select your destination in the dropdown and name folder/target. Make sure you have BD25 selected in the dropdown beside quality and click start.

Edit: Wanted to add, test these files for playback BEFORE burning to blank BD-R disc. If everything looks good and using Fab's included VSO burn engine set the burn speed to half if your blank speeds rating (if it's only rated for 4x you can probably get by setting it at 4x, generally never set for MAX speed). I personally recommend ImgBurn (it's free and can be set up with Fab easlily (link in my sig to a great post by Troy512 who made a video on just that and how to set the burn speed, watch in HD for a better viewing experience).
                      Last edited by W&B; 11-23-2009, 01:17 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

you said test it... how do you test it?

Comment

Originally posted by ggstokey View Post
                          i went and bought a new computer, well refurbished and wasn't trying to get nuts with it, at the time wasn't expecting to be burning blu ray... pentium 4 - Ghz, 2 G of Ram, but bought a video cards nvidia geforce 8400 gs and running on xp
                          Yes you can play the files from your hdd if you have the software. The computer you purchased, did it come with the BD drive pre-installed? If not and you purchased/installed the drive did it come with any software; PowerDVD, WinDVD 2010 or TMT3? You can also use
                          Videolan Media Player (it's free and will playback the m2ts files). Fab's Blu-ray option is still in beta so I always check files before I attempt a burn.

Comment

i have powerdvd and vlc media player... but after copying to hdd i see nothing to play... is there something i should be seeing... working on troy b/c it was a smaller movie no compression... but i can't find anything to test

Comment

ok well i got vcl player playing under main_movie ... director's cut... BDMV... streaming... 00000.m2ts ... it plays, choppy but video card probably not as good as could be... so i should be good to burn?

Comment

Working...
                              X