This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to detect writable media

First, I'm not sure where I should post this issue since it seems to be a Vista setting issue and not a DVDFab issue. When I try to use the DVDFab HD Blu-Ray to Blu-Ray option, the program progresses through the first of two steps flawless. My computer is a Sony VGN-AW360J/B laptop with a single Blu-Ray burner. Once the original disc is ripped, I'm prompted to insert blank writable media. When I do that, I just keep being prompted to insert blank writable media. I have not found a way to get the drive to recognized the blank media and start the write process. This has nothing to do with my blank media, as I have tried seven different types of blank Blu-Ray media, and it can not recognize any of them. All of my Blu-Ray media is BD-25 and I make certain to set DVDFab to that option at the very beginning.

Here where is gets interesting, and I the reason I say this is not a DVDFab issue. On standard DVD's I prefer to rip with DVD Decrypter and burn with DVD Shrink. Again the rip process goes fine. But, DVD Shrink does the same thing, it prompts me to insert blank writable (standard DVD) media repeatedly. The difference is that the way that DVD Shrink works, I've figured out that if I eject the blank media, then tell DVD Shrink to cancel the burn, DVD Shrink has an additional step or menu that asks me if I am sure that I want to cancel the burn. If I say not to that prompt and then push the media tray in again, is will burn the DVD. Of course, DVDFab does not have this extra menu, when you press cancel at that stage on DVDFab, that's it, the burn attempt is permanently aborted.

I have gone to the Sony website and downloaded and installed all updates as well as the firmware for the Blu-Ray drive. That is not solving the issue. What's even stranger, is that I had another one of this exact model of Sony computer that worked great to burn Blu-Rays prior to being stolen. Somehow, the setting on the replacement I bought are not the same. For some strange reason, the drive is having a problem recognizing blank media.

I do have a Windows 7 upgrade disc, but am extremely doubtful that upgrading will solve this issue and know from research that the upgrade takes hours of work to properly set up.

Try right clicking the desk top icon for DVDFab and run as administrator to see if that works for you

Comment

Are you using the VSO burn engine?

Have you tried using Imgburn for burning your disc.If so what error code does it give?

Removal of new protections may not be available yet in the free version of DVDFab (HD Decrypter)

Help Us Help You :

Troy's excellent tutorial on Setting up ImgBurn with DVDFab :

I use Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim media mainly.
      Trying Falcon D/L media

I use ImgBurn as my main burning engine

Free Media Player VLC

Comment

I ran into this problem when running Alcohol 120% and I'm sure it's the same with Daemon Tools. If you have "Ignore Media Type" option checked under "Emulation Options", Windows and any other program that accesses your optical drive will think you have a BD-ROM or DVD-ROM in the drive. Uncheck the option and the media will be seen for what it really is. Threw away a few perfectly good disks until if figured that one out.

Not saying that is your problem but it sounds eerily familiar.

Comment

Smabbage,
          Where can I find this setting? I running Windows 7 without Daemon Tools or Alcohol. I'm trying to burn a ripped movie onto a DVD5 disc (referred by dvdfab) as BD-5, and get this error message. My laptop has the Intel i7 processor with a BD-ROM/DVD-RW drive. My understanding is that BD-5 is a regular DVD5 disc that uses a bluray format. Thus, I should be able to burn a file with the drive I have.

Thanks
          Steve

Comment

Working...
          X