This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quality of Main Movie Rip

I have been ripping movies from my Blu-Ray collection and creating 1:1 copies of the entire disc using a different program. I'm really particular when it comes to the quality of the rips and if I perceive a loss of quality I won't even bother ripping them. The full disc rips are exactly the same as the disc, but I'm running out of space and to be honest I do not need to make copies of the full disc. I never watch special features or anything like that and I don't really care for the menus and previews. I've been using DVDFab Blu-Ray Copy to rip the main movie from a few of them to test it out. My concern is that the audio and video needs to remain the same quality and the resulting ISO should be error free. At the moment I only have powerdvd to see if the master audio is still intact and it shows it is, but I don't have the capability at the moment to bitstream it to my receiver and see if it is decoded properly. I don't see a visual loss in quality, but the thought of ripping the main movie of all my movies and regretting it and doing it over is enough for me to question the results of the Blu-Ray copy module.

For those of you who are experienced ripping a lossless version of the main movie have you encountered many errors in playback or noticed a loss of quality in either the sound or video? I'm really hoping no because I would like to purchase the program to alleviate the space issue and the hassle of skipping through warnings and previews every time.

Originally posted by c0h3n0 View Post
    but I don't have the capability at the moment to bitstream it to my receiver and see if it is decoded (?) properly.
    If you selected "Main Movie" with "BD50" output size, there would be no "properly" or "not properly" encoded content - there is no encoding involved. All DVDFab does is stripping all content from BD, but main movie. Reduction in size achieved by removing unwanted content, and not by re-coding movie itself.
    And just a general comment. You really need to work on your terminology... I hope I understand you question and comments correctly, but "ripping a lossless version of the main movie"? What the heck was that?
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

The part about the receiver and decoding I merely meant that when the main movie rip is played if the dts master audio light would come on the receiver indicating that it was the same audio as on the disc. I know there is no encoding when you select bd50, I meant decoding the audio stream. You don't understand what ripping a lossless copy of the main movie means? A copy of the main movie that has not been encoded to a smaller size? Am I not understanding that right?

Comment

@c0h3n0
        Well, where would I start...

The part about the receiver and decoding I merely meant that when the main movie rip is played if the dts master audio light would come on the receiver indicating that it was the same audio as on the disc.
        Geez, this is most complicated way of verification of a content. Have you ever heard of MediaInfo or BDInfo? Google it, download and install, it's free. You can run report for source content and processed content, and compare them.
        I know there is no encoding when you select bd50, I meant decoding the audio stream.
        I can only suggest here is to Google or WiKi for "decoding" and "encoding" and try to read what you just said, again. I think you meant downconverting audio stream...

You don't understand what ripping a lossless copy of the main movie means? A copy of the main movie that has not been encoded to a smaller size? Am I not understanding that right?
        I guess I understand what you trying to say... It just inappropriate use of word "lossless" got me a bit confused. FYI, there are practically no lossless content out there. It's all compressed. Again, visit WiKi and see what lossless content really mean...
        sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Yeah haha it is complicated but I'm so OCD if it didn't light up I'd prob decided against ripping them, but that was one way I thought to verify it. Thanks for pointing out that software I'll def use that. My assumption was encoding was a way of repackaging information and in some instances that meant changing it's format and otherwise reducing it's quality. Decoding was just the opposite it takes the information and unpackages it. I prob used those wrong in this situation I don't really know how DVDFab reduces the size so I can see if I confused you.

Comment

Originally posted by c0h3n0 View Post
            I don't really know how DVDFab reduces the size so I can see if I confused you.
            OK, let me give you a quick scoop on what is happening inside your computer after you click "Start" on DVDFab window.
            Everything spins around little piece of software calling "codec", which is stands for coding/decoding. (Please keep in mind, I'm really simplifying things here!). When studio produces movie, it's coming in postproduction as raw digital (lossless) material with very large size. To fit movie on disc (plus other crap they putting there), postproduction lab have to compress it to suitable size.
            So, when it's done, pressed and thrown to the store, you buy it and putting into a player. During playback process, your player decoding content into lossless form and sending massive stream to your TV for your enjoyment. So, your player is nothing but powerful processor that runs codec.
            Now, what DVDFab does is:
            (a) decoding content to a lossless form and,
            (b) re-compressing it (encoding) to a greater degree than original content was.
            DVDFab uses different algorithm (and secret spell ) to achieve greater compression without much of a loss in quality and get reduction in size...
            I hope this sketch helps
            sigpic

Comment

I study computer science at a university so I have a lot of experience with technology. You said you were confused when I used encoding and decoding but you just used both trying to explain what DVDFab does. I know there really isn't any media in lossless form, just compressed to a lesser degree. If I selected a smaller size disc such as BD25 and I had a 50GB movie it would be encoded to a smaller size. I don't see how I used either word in the wrong way or how you could say you were confused by what I had said in my original post.

Comment

@c0h3n0
                I'm loosing enthusiasm and mood for education here... quickly...
                Please go to you computer science class, ask your teacher, read WiKi, put together you "a lot of experience with technology" and read your post again...
                sigpic

Comment

Thread going no where and is closed.
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-23-2011, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X