Compression on Blu-Ray Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compression on Blu-Ray Movies

Has anyone tested to how much compression is too much when compressing a movie down to a BD-25 disc? At what percentage of compression will you start to see the quality of video suffer? Does it vary per movie?

I know when I compress regular DVD's, I usually don't see any compression differences down to 75%, it it the same with Blu-Ray?

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Originally posted by troy9173 View Post
    I know when I compress regular DVD's, I usually don't see any compression differences down to 75%, it it the same with Blu-Ray?
    No, not the same. HD content handled slightly differently. You want to keep edges sharp and colors true.

... how much compression is too much when compressing a movie down to a BD-25 disc? At what percentage of compression will you start to see the quality of video suffer? Does it vary per movie?
    Yes it vary per content. In general, with 1080 source and 1080 output compression you should stay within following bits/pixel ratio:
    0.15-0.20 for mellow and plain content (e.g. animation, panoramic videos for relaxation, etc.)
    0.20-0.25 for most of the non-action movies
    0.25-0.30 for most of the action movies and well lighted sport events
    0.30-0.35 for most of shows, concerts and fast-moving sport events.

I know when I compress regular DVD's, I usually don't see any compression differences down to 75%
    Of course you don't. DVD picture is so blurry, there's nothing to lose!
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Working...
    X