Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time required for blu-ray backup?

Hi folks,

I have experience using DVDFab (which I love!) backing up standard def DVDs and they generally seem to take less time than the duration of the program material being backed up. I think blu-ray may be a whole different animal, though.

Now that I have DVDFab Blu-Ray Copy, what kind of time durations are people seeing for backing up a blu-ray disc, say one that fits on a 25GB disc? I mean from the very start of the process to the completion of burning backup disc? I realise that there are many variables, but just want to get a feel for what to expect.

If you are referring to a straight full copy, it's about an 45 minutes to 2 hours depending on the size of the content on the disk and the speed of your drive. CPU doesn't come in to copying much. Since you are asking about a 25GB copy compression will needed so the CPU/GPU will come into it....totally depends in how fast your machine is.

I don't do 25GB copies, I do full copies to the hard drive then run Blur-ray ripper on those files. I'll do a 2-pass scan at 10k video (h264) and 640kb 5.1 audio (AC3) in an (mkv) file and it'll average about 2-2.5 hours to complete (size is around 10GB). A DVD will typically take 20-25 minutes to encode on my machine.

I encode in full software, on an Intel i7 (quad core) overclocked to 4Ghz per core. On my machine a Blu-ray takes about 9-10 times longer than a DVD, so you an work out your base from that since you encode DVD's just now.
    Last edited by rdorian; 11-13-2011, 09:03 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Impossible to estimate without knowing something of your rig's specs.

It's kind of like changing your car's crankcase oil with a super-slick synthetic oil and asking how fast will my car do 0-60 mph?
      It would be helpful to know at least the model and powerplant.

If your rig is fairly robust, maybe 1-2 hours...depending.
      If not, longer...and maybe a whole lot longer.

A better approach would be to try one and post your specs and results.
      Then we could actually offer something substantive.

Many BD movies will fit on a 25 GB blank so no compression would be involved.
      Will you be doing main movie or full disc?
      Compression vs. no compression as well as other factors will significantly alter your times.

My rig is a home-built core i7 about 2 years old now.
      A BD rip usually takes me about 25-40 minutes.
      I archive all my video content to hdds and playback on a media player so burning doesn't come into play for me.
      Last edited by maineman; 11-13-2011, 09:05 PM.
      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys. Some system info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
        Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
        System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
        System Model p6716f
        System Type x64-based PC
        Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor, 3000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
        BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 6.06, 3/22/2011
        SMBIOS Version 2.6
        Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
        Total Physical Memory 7.75 GB
        Available Physical Memory 6.29 GB
        Total Virtual Memory 15.5 GB
        Available Virtual Memory 13.1 GB
        Page File Space 7.75 GB

Pioneer BDR-206DBK 12x Internal Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer

Comment

Thanks for posting your specs.
          Your cpu is decent and you should realize pretty good times when you're compressing/converting

Looks like you have a Ati radeon hd 4200, whch is an intergrated chip.
          Please use the following Fab settings for A/V Codec:

Video Decoder: Software only
          Video Encoder: Software only
          Disable Lightning-Recoding

Overall, these settings will be much less problematic.

Use quality BD media
          Burn at 1/2 the rated speed of the media...2X is probably a good place to start.
          Use Img as Fab's default burn engine

Click on the link in my sig below for D/L, setup and configuring AWS
          (Automatic Write Speed)

Let us know how you get on.
          Good luck and have fun
          Last edited by maineman; 11-14-2011, 01:45 PM.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Sorry, forgot to mention one hard & fast rule.

Be certain to do the intial rip without any compression.
            Rip to BD50 output in both Main Movie and Full Disc modes.

Like I said, many BD flicks will fit on a BD25 disc without any compression.

Remember 23866 MB and not 25 MB is about the max output size for a blank BD25.
            To be safe, you may want to decrease this a bit, but I never burn BD's I can't say for sure.

Comment

Wow, Maineman, thank you very much for the recommended settings! And, thanks for your info about IMGburn setup! The text was fine, but the video really make it abundantly clear. Great stuff.

One more question, if I may.

You say "Be certain to do the intial rip without any compression.
              Rip to BD50 output in both Main Movie and Full Disc modes."

Are you saying that I leave DVDFab in BD50 mode per the image below, regardless of how large the disc/main move is and that IMGburn will handle fitting the data onto the disc? In other words, the software will detect the disc size at the time of burning and adjust compression automatically?

Comment

Yes and no.
                Yes, always do the initial rip (from the BD disc) to your hdd without any compression at all.

Next, open the newly ripped hdd files in Fab as Source.
                Now you can go ahead and select BD25 as output and your burner as Target.

I realize that this represents an extra step and begs the question why???
                Compression of BD files is very labor intensive.
                If you try this on the initially it would actually take longer and subject your burner to excessive wear and tear.

Keep in mind that the bottleneck for BD processing, particularly encoding, is your burner;
                better to offload the compression process entirely to your cpu.

Obviously, if no compression is needed, you can burn it from the BD disc.
                Fab always rips to the hdd in a temp directory anyway, whereas
                Fab Passkey is able to rip on-the-fly

Your very welcome, hth
                Last edited by maineman; 11-14-2011, 04:04 PM. Reason: Can't spell

Comment

To do this as a two step process as you describe, I would set DVDFab's output to some folder on my hard drive?

Comment

You got it. Any location is ok.
                    Just remember to delete it after you burn it.

That is, unless you decide to archive to hdds and playback with a media player like many of us have done.
                    In which case you do can away with blank media and the hassles of burning entirely.

Come on in...the water's fine...

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
                      You got it. Any location is ok.
                      Just remember to delete it after you burn it.

That is, unless you decide to archive to hdds and playback with a media player like many of us have done.
                      In which case you do can away with blank media and the hassles of burning entirely.

Come on in...the water's fine...
                      I'm skeered!!!

Thanks again. I will try this 2 step process the next time I back up something.

On IMGburn, presumably I select Write Image file to disc and then pick what DVDFab saved to my hard drive. For the file selection part, am I going to select the folder where the disc went, or am I going to select individual files?

Comment

No, you don't have to deal with Img as a standalone app.
                        Just install it, then open Fab and select it as Fab's default burn engine.

Common Settings > DVD / Blu-ray > Write Burning Engine

Now just select Img from the dropdown (there are only 3 choices...VSO, Img, Nero)

Everything from here on out happens within Fab
                        As previously, subsequent to ripping to the hdd,

> Open Fab > select just ripped BD hdd files as Source
                        > select your burner as Target and be certain to select BD25 as output size,

Click start

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
                          No, you don't have to deal with Img as a standalone app.
                          Just install it, then open Fab and select it as Fab's default burn engine.

Common Settings > DVD / Blu-ray > Write Burning Engine

Now just select Img from the dropdown (there are only 3 choices...VSO, Img, Nero)

Everything from here on out happens within Fab
                          As previously, subsequent to ripping to the hdd,

> Open Fab > select just ripped BD hdd files as Source
                          > select your burner as Target and be certain to select BD25 as output size,

Click start
                          Ah! Gotcha. Thanks so much!

Comment

I would select the folder where the files are, rather than pick individual files, right? It makes quite a directory tree of stuff...

Comment

Right, select the entire movie folder, not any subdirectories

Comment

Working...
                              X