New Protection and Oppo Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Protection and Oppo Player

Oppo has released a new software update because of problems loading newer discs with the latest protection. This has apparently solved the problem. I've made backups of the Debt, Hangover II, and Our Idiot Brother, and Limitless. All the originals now load ok on the Oppo BDP-83. The backups are a different story. I can try them and they won't load as unknown disc, and then after a couple of tries they work. The time to load if they do work, varies from 10 sec. up to a min. There is some sort of new protection that is causing problems with this player for sure, and maybe others. I believe this is the problem in an earlier thread with Limitless. It doesn't appear to be any particular version of fab, as i tried 4 with limitless, and the last 2 versions with the other 3 discs.
    I don't know if there is anything the mods can do, but it's strange the more expensive player now has problems, when my cheap LG does not. Others take note.

Hi bmiller,
    This update:-
    Release date: December 5, 2011
    Category: Public Beta Test Version

Main Version: BDP9x-60-1125B
    Loader Version: CN0900
    Sub Version: MCU93-09-0218 (BDP-93), MCU95-08-0218 (BDP-95)

is a public beta version and may be faulty.

The previous full version is :-

Release date: September 26, 2011
    Category: Latest Official Release

Main Version: BDP9x-57-0917
    Loader Version: CN0900
    Sub Version: MCU93-09-0218 (BDP-93), MCU95-08-0218 (BDP-95).

Have you reset your machine to "factory defaults" after the update ?
    This may be causing the problems you are having.

I assume you found the update HERE If not have a look and see if it helps. I have not had reason to update my BDP 83 yet, so I can't confirm that this is your problem. I hope this is some help.

Comment

I was having problems with a couple of the latest releases, ie, limitless. and thought it was the problem with the blanks, or the new version of dvdfab. I then found the software update for the BDP-83, which was because there was a problem loading some newer discs and the new protection. I updated the firmware, and the problem is still there. The discs all load fine in my cheaper LG player, but not the oppo. Older discs still load in the oppo no problem. In hindsight, if there is no protection on the disc, then why would there be a problem loading, unless there is something the player is looking for that it can't find. It will work randomly, and after a couple of retrys, butis veryy frustrating. It appears to be something in the Oppo that isn't in other players.

Comment

I didn't reset to factory faults, as i asked an oppo tech if that was necessary every time, and he said no. That was a while ago. I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

Comment

I tried the factory reset to defaults. Still the same problem. I then took all 3 problem discs to a cheap LG player, and they all loaded up within 10 sec. and play just fine. That proves the software in the Oppo is the problem. The LG hasn't been updated in a year, yet they all work ok.It appears my Oppo 83 will be collecting dust and a new cheap player will take its place. Too bad, considering the price of the thing.

Comment

I tried one last thing. I downloaded the software again. I unplugged the player for 5 minutes, and after plugging it back in i reloaded the update again, only this time the redownloaded version. I installed it again, and tried all 5 problem discs. They all worked the first time within 10 seconds. I shut the player off, and then retried the same discs 5 minutes later. All worked fine again the second time. There might have been a bug in the first download. Things are looking up. Time will tell.
            Thanks Voxsmart for just the push to look at it again.

Comment

Nice one bmiller,
              I'm glad it all worked out for you. I love my BDP83 and would have been well upset if the firmware update was naff.
              Firmware upgrades are a necessary evil really, I've had similar problems with burner updates and of all things DVD Fab! All's fine now, but the last FAB download was bad.
              Enjoy my friend.

Comment

An update. I borrowed The Help from my neighbour. The original works ok. I made a movie only copy. Tried it in the Oppo. Unknown disc. I then tried the movies that worked yesterday, and now they don't work. I tried another older backup, and it worked fine. I then tried The Help again, and after 30 sec. it loaded. I then tried The Help backup on my cheap lg player, and it loaded fine within 10 sec.
                All the original movies work with the Oppo, but the backups are having major problems. They don't play nice together, even with the latest firmware update.
                Ther doesn't appear to be any pattern. It's hit and miss, and very frustrating.It's going to become a dust collector. Too bad considering the cost of the thing. I'd get the newer 93 model, but i'm afraid i'd end up with the same problem.

Comment

I picked up a Sony S580 player, and all discs play without any problem. The Fab process is causing some major problems with the Oppo that doesn't occur in other players. It's now a dust collector.

Comment

Mmmm not good bmiller, I'm wondering if your OPPO has a faulty drive?
                    Maybe this is a stupid question, but have you tried a good quality lens cleaning disc.

Comment

I did the compressed air bit, but that's all. Every disc before this new protection scheme works perfectly. I tried many. It's only the newer ones in the last 2 or 3 months i'm guessing. Oppo found a fix with the update, and all those store bought discs now work. It's fab's backups of these that are hit and miss. The same backups work first time every time in 2 other bluray players i now have. I updated the new Sony player, and tried the 5 problem discs, and not a problem at all. The problem is related to the Oppo and it's software, or It could be a drive problem, but then i try a disc from the summer, and it works just fine.
                      I'm not sure what to think, but other Oppo owners can take note. It will be interesting to find out if others have any problems with discs from the time Limitless was released. That's when my problem started.

Comment

No problems

bmiller,

I have two Oppo BDP-83 players with the latest Nov. 8th Beta firmware installed. I made DVDFab Main Movie backups of of the Blu-Ray version of Limitless and they load fine in the Oppo's. They load in less than 8 seconds and work well. You may have a player with a problem.

Comment

That is a good possibility. I tried a dozen older discs, and they all work ok, then i try any of the latest ones and it's hit and miss. It's a bit of a mystery. I would have replaced it with the 93, but was afraid of the same software problem, if indeed that's what it is. I have an LG, and a Sony S580, and i'm back in buisiness. If your 83 is working ok, then i assume my player has a problem. Too bad, it's only 3 years old, which is a lifetime in electronics.

Comment

Working...
                          X