Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blu-Ray black screen, no menu...

Hello.

8.0.9.8 gave me no problems, but I needed to upgrade to get a newer disc to copy. 8.1.3.6 Qt introduced a new problem: full disc copies, or rips of full discs, will play previews ahead of the start of the movie, but once the previews are done the menu never shows up. This behavior is exhibited in both PowerDVD 9 BD-OEM (v. 9.0.2919.52) and my PS3 Slim (does not have the latest patch yet). LG burner (WH10LS30), Verbatim BD-R and BD-RE media (not LTH), also RiDATA 4X white discs, all of which have until now been perfectly playable in the PS3. Win 7 Pro 64-bit, dual Xeon 3.8GHz CPUs (older HP xw6200 workstation), 8GB RAM.

EDIT: This is with multiple movies, old (Book of Eli) and new (Super 8).

Updated to 8.1.3.8 Qt, same thing. I've seen others on the board here complaining about similar issues, and even if they downgraded, no luck. Like others, though, if I rip just the main movie, I have no problems playing it back in any device. Used both ImgBurn 2.5.5.0 (been stable so far) and DVDFab's own burner.

I welcome others to hop on with "me too's", but tell me, exactly what logs do we need to post, and where are they? I would like to get my process back to normal!

EDIT 2: Yeah, found the "Help us help you" thread. My bad. I'll post those shortly.
    Last edited by torque2k; 12-31-2011, 12:08 AM. Reason: Added multi-movie problems.

Parsed logs:
    Attached Files

Comment

hi,

I have check your log file, looks missing some information, I am not sure what is your working.

Did you compress BD50 to BD25 by fulldisc copy ?
      the copy disc play it with black screen ? and please try to play the biggest m2ts file in BDMV folder by using other file player, make sure the file is can be correctly play it, and tell me result.

thanks.

Comment

hi,

I have check your log file, looks missing some information, I am not sure what is your working.

Did you compress BD50 to BD25 by fulldisc copy ?
        the copy disc play it with black screen ? and please try to play the biggest m2ts file in BDMV folder by using other file player, make sure the file is can be correctly play it, and tell me result.

thanks.

Comment

Are you converting it down to a 25gb BD? or are you actually doing a full 1:1 to a 50gb BD? I asked about this awhile ago how I go about it and I was told to use a 50gb BD. SO maybe thats your problem? I have yet to back up my 3D movies but now getting worried with all the black screen posts.
          Lancool K-56 case.
          OCZ 700watt PSU.
          MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 AM3+.
          AMD 8 core FX-8120 3.1ghz.
          ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX cooler.
          16gb G.skill 1600mhz memory.
          OCZ Agility 120gb SSD.
          WD 2TB.
          EVGA GTX Geforce 550Ti.
          LGWH12LS38 BD-RE

Comment

My normal workflow is:

1) Rip at 100% to folder on HDD
            2) Process entire movie (all extras and menus) with BD-Rebuilder, shrink to BD-25
            3) Burn resultant folder to BD-R 25GB blank with ImgBurn

This now results in the dreaded black screen of doom, no menus, just anything which shows prior to the menus on the original disc.

The only piece I've updated is DVDFab. I don't even do Windows updates, as this machine is rarely on the net (only when I first pop in the BD to rip using DVDFab). I only update BD-Rebuilder as needed, and I haven't needed to for a few months now. You can see how long it had been since I updated DVDFab!

So, as a test, I took a movie which came in at around 19GB. I did a full Blu-ray Copy in DVDFab, Full Disc, and had the same problem. I have DVDFab set to burn using its own VSO engine, not ImgBurn. Same problem, so it's not in the "shrink" phase that this is going wrong.

I went back through the discs I had backed up recently (some originals were BD-25, some -50, but all were burned to BD-25) and they were all showing the black screen from the day that I updated DVDFab to 8.1.3.6.

I never use DVDFab to shrink from BD-50 to BD-25, as the results are not as good as using BD-Rebuilder. DVDFab is only used as a ripper, unless the original is BD-25, then I use Full Disc in Copy mode. So, RIPS are a full 1:1.

I've been using DVDFab for a few years now for DVDs, and for about a year for BDs, and have never had a problem with my setup. All problems coincide with the update to 8.1.3.6, and continue with 8.1.3.8. I do not use beta versions of DVDFab, but would be willing to help test now that I have a couple of BD-RE discs.

As for playing "the biggest m2ts file in BDMV folder", that works fine in VLC. I don't have a problem if I copy or rip using Movie Only mode (file or burned disc), so that m2ts file will play fine no matter what. It's only when the menus are ripped along with it, and the disc is burned and played as a whole.

Thanks for reading.
            Last edited by torque2k; 01-04-2012, 01:10 AM.

Comment

One thing to note: if I take the "bad burn" disc (any of them) that I've produced, and do a Movie Only copy from THAT, I get a good working copy of the movie, as expected. This seems to be in the regeneration of the structure data of the newly created copy where things are going wrong.

Comment

Curious if you ever resolved this as I have an apparently identical problem.
                I'm using the latest version of DVDFab. Newly acquired.
                I rip the original BD to an ISO file on my HD then try to compress the whole disk image to produce a 25GB version.
                When I did this with Conan 3D I got a top level play menu that had no background image but the menu buttons were visible - and hitting play it would play the film in 3D so no big issue.
                This week I tried to compress Ghost Rider (2) Spirit of Vengeance but got a top level play menu that jitters and will not play correctly - no menu buttons are visible. But if I use the BD Player menu to select Title 1 (main movie) this plays perfectly in 3D.

So for me, DVDFab is not generating the top level play menu when I ask for full disk compression. 100% failure rate so far out of the 2 3D disks I tried to compress. But the main film on the resulting disk has been correctly compacted and is playable in 3D.

Comment

Hi, miketsp
                  Please post your log file to get more help!

Wilson
                  Please post your logs the default location is:
                  For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
                  For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
                  Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
                  If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X