This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forced Subtitles

Is there anyway to force subtitles to play automatically.

For example half way through 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' the characters talk in a foreign language and during this conversation there are subtitles.

When I encode the blu ray down to a smaller size I can select the subtitles, but the subtitles do not come on automatically at the right time. I have to manually turn them on.

I even worked out which subtitle track it was and just encoded with that one selected. Again when playing the blu ray back you have to manually turn on the subtitles.

Is there a way of getting FAB to automatically force certain subtitles to play?

Thanks. eon

Hi

There is a program called BDedit which allows you to set autostarts for any subtitile and audio stream you wish but:

1. DVDFab sets a command for subtitle + audio stream (you will have to delete in the bdedit program)
    2. well it's not really easy to understand how the program works... you should google for it and search for some tutorial... just to let you know you will need some numbers like 49153; 49154; 19455... for the subtitle you want to run. The numbers are equal to the number of the subtitles place or so... however not really easy but possible!

good luck

Comment

Looked at BDedit - not a very user friendly application.

Have no idea what to do - not many guides on the web to help either.

Shame we can't just have this feature added into DVDFab as there are a lot of DVD's and Blu Rays that now have forced subs.

Perhaps it could be added as a feature request.

Comment

tell me which subtitle/audi you have to set... perhaps i can tell you in some simpel way how to do it

Comment

Backing up The Day the Earth Stood Still

When I used DVDFab I just had a single audio track and a single subtitle track

I go to the playlist tab and load in 00001 - then lots of info is shown on the screen, but no idea what any of it means or what to do

Any kind of of help would be fantastic.

Thanks.

Comment

First go to Options and uncheck Create Backup files then go back to BDMV

you got 2 fields on the right side... a "+" "-" on top and a "+" "-" down

Press "+" which is down.

Then there is a new line in the field down. click on it
            Then you have 3 drop down boxes on the bottom

The first hast to be "Set"
            The Second "SetSystem"
            The Third "SetStream"

Ok here we go. now you have to check both boxes on the bottom and set the other 2 Drop down Boxes to "Imm"

Then you got 2 fields where you can enter numbers on the right side down... the one on the bottom has to be empty.
            The one on top has to be 49153 if you want your first subtitle to autostart
            49154 for second subtitle
            49155 for third subtitle
            and so on...

If you want to set a Audio Stream to Autostart you have to do:

Press "+" which is down.

Then there is a new line in the field down. click on it
            Then you have 3 drop down boxes on the bottom

The first hast to be "Set"
            The Second "SetSystem"
            The Third "SetStream"

Ok here we go. now you have to check both boxes on the bottom and set the other 2 Drop down Boxes to "Imm"

Then you got 2 fields where you can enter numbers on the right side down... the one on the bottom has to be empty.

Now something different. You see those 3 fields with blue numbers... and the word hex next to it. You go to the middle field of those and enter 80010000 for audio stream one
            80020000 for audio stream 2
            80030000 for audio stream 3
            then just click somewhere and you will see a number appear on the right side. (you can't enter this number there because this field not programmed for so big numbers)

After you have finished with the things you wanted to set (1 set means 1 "+" so if you have to set audio and sub you will have to push 2 times "+" and set 2 different lines)
            press save. now exit

Search for your BD Files in the folder BDMV there are index.bdmv and MovieObjext.bdmv
            copy those to folder BACKUP and replace the other ones. Then Copy the Folder Jar to BACKUP.

That's it... hope you can follow...

Always have the newest version of you bd player and if you use it on your computer the newest version of your replayer

good luck

Comment

Excellent thank you - I'll try it later and see what happens.

Out of interest is there a similar tool for editing ordinary DVD's so they automatically play a specified subtitle track?

Thanks. eon

Comment

Worked straight away - Fantastic

Just need to find a way of doing the same with ordinary DVD's

Comment

congrats

well for dvds it should be ifoedit

Comment

Thanks

Did a quick search - found the line to add

Thanks for all your help red1

Comment

Red1 or anyone else that knows the answer - have another question for you that is also part of another thread I started regarding Angels and Demons.

Found out that the first English subtitle also contains the forced subtitles. Somehow there are markers agains some of the subtitles that are flagged as forced.

Using your method of editing the Blu Ray via BDEdit this will make the whole subtitle track active showing subtitles all the time.

Do you know of a way to just get the forced subtitles to show that are within that track?

Thanks in advance. eon

Comment

hey

The Subtitle is as far as i know part of the audio or video stream... so don't set any forced subtitle and it will work.

If you have access to the original Blu Ray play it on you Computer and right click to see if a subtitle is autostarted (i use cyberlink power dvd). If nothing is autostarted but there is a subtitle then the subtitle will appear as wished as long as you don't set any autostart. If there has to be a subtitle then you can see it in power dvd set as autostart.

So long there is no BD with subtitle which will suddenly start during the film as far as i know... and i know Angels and Demons too.

Hope i could help you

PS: Always burn a Iamge on your computer before you create a BD to avoid throwing BDs away. (Virtual Clone Drive to load the Image)

Till then

PSS: There is almost always more then 1 Subtitle of your language on your BD (Had 5 already)... One of them should be the right one if the subtitle isn't within the video stream.
                        Last edited by red1; 12-17-2009, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by red1 View Post
                          The Subtitle is as far as i know part of the audio or video stream... so don't set any forced subtitle and it will work.
                          Please do make sure you know what you are talking about before replying to someone. As you specified to someone else, search is your friend.

Subtitles are NOT part of the audio or video streams (unless you are talking about closed captioning on a TV signal not Blu-Ray).

Originally posted by red1 View Post
                          If you have access to the original...
                          THERE SHOULD BE NO IF! Forum rules do not condone ripping of rentals or other content that you do not own. Please spare us the "but I don't have access because I just put my brand new DVD/BD in the garage, in a box, way up in the rafters, and my friend borrowed my only ladder."

Comment

well there are films where you mustn't start a subtitle and you still get subtitles so they are part of the video stream... 0_o e.g. james bond quantum solace as far as i remember! Perhaps you don't call them subtitles then but they are still part of the film!

Before worriing if anything I write is wrong you could have helped him long time ago instead of me.

regards
                            Last edited by red1; 12-17-2009, 09:40 PM.

Comment

I believe Quantum of Solace has text burned into the video. Your assumption that all movies are like that is incorrect.

It is my job to worry about what you wrote. I don't know how to solve his problem but I know enough to recognize that you were leading him down the wrong path.

Comment

Working...
                              X