8.1.7.0 Beta: Lowest Bitrate but retain visual quality in MKV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8.1.7.0 Beta: Lowest Bitrate but retain visual quality in MKV

Like many I am wanting to rip my blu-ray collection to MKV for streaming and currently have 53 uncompressed titles which total 1.2TB.

I can see that before long my 6TB storage is going to be full so what I would like to do is compress these files as much as I can but without sacrificing visibly the quality of the picture that will show on my 50" screen.

In the default 'Video Convertor to MKV' profile I can see the bitrate for 1920x1080 is set to 7458Kbps and I am guessing someone very clever worked out this to be what I am looking for but can you confirm this?

What are the increments for h.264, (I know in computing its 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096 etc) so I can possibly set my own.

Thanks in advance.

Hi adw_uk
    If these files are in BD format you will not use the Video Converter function, you would use the BD Ripper function.
    CBR929
    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

I have ripped heaps of BD to MKV and trialed lots of different settings for best quality to view on my 55" LED LCD via PC HDMI ... Below is for H.264 as MKV
      DVDFAB Blu-Ray Copy to HDisk
      DVDFAB Blu-Ray Ripper
      I believe the sweet spot for 1080p @ 1920x1080 is above the 9000 kb/s mark .. I tried to get close as original as possible and worked out that a setting of 11982 kb/s is the optimum before visible degradation occurs .. at this rate you get the finest detail being evident.. And the image stops looking flattened and takes on the depth that is evident in an original Blu-Ray.
      As an example I have just backed up my Game Of Thrones Original Blu-Ray
      Using 8.1.7.0 BETA and 1 episode comes in at about 4.9 GIG and looks utterly amazing and better than 14 to 20 GIG per Episode as the Blu-Ray original. Which means I can get the entire first season (214 Gig) for 50 Gig of space and retain the Epic nature of the production.

OPTIONS Settings (For the best/optimum Quality)
      I use software only (disable all GPU acceleration, As I use an SLI System and CUDA is a pain) and worse quality. Conversion is slower the way I use (still fast though) but better as it shows Blacker Blacks and is clearer in my opinion. I use single pass as double has some jittering in it everytime. and I set to
      Slow Encode on Blu-Ray Copy ..
      Turbo CPU is on
      Memory Usage on MAX ..
      Lightening Re-Coding is OFF
      Audio at 448 kb/s 5.1 AC3
      Video at 11982 kb/s H.264 MKV
      The Results Are Awesome !!!
      Hope this helps ..
      regards
      PhantomMkI

Time Is AN Investment In Quality

Comment

PhantomMkI, I just wanted to let you know that I used your settings, and the resulting .mkv files look amazing. Thanks a lot!

John

Comment

Working...
        X