compression rate on BDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

compression rate on BDs

How low should I go when compressing a BD to a 25GB disc? I've noticed lately that some discs will go down to 62%, which I understand it's quite below standard. I was under the impression that I should not bother if the compression rate should fall below 85%.

The only thing that matters is how it appears to YOU. Test it and see. Don't worry about numbers.

Comment

Compression BDs

Bearlight, I did MI4 the other day and it came out around 35GBs, I also used the HD Audio! I then set to compress to 25GB with FAB!

Fab showed it at 66%, but I went ahead and did it anyway! The movie came out great, as good as orginal Blu-ray! The HD Audio was kicking too!

Its good to have a couple of BD-RE's around, then you can burn and play and if you like it you can go ahead and put on a regular Blu-ray disc! Also use 2 HDTV's, one 42" and one 32" 3D HDTV!

Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperFist View Post
        The only thing that matters is how it appears to YOU. Test it and see. Don't worry about numbers.
        In essence, you are right. Nonetheless, in the past, I have noticed that the lower the compression rate number is, the less clear the visual aspect of the final outcome will be.

If the number is above 80% there's a pretty good chance that you won't notice that much of a difference. Anything below that is taking a chance.

I play it back on a 60" screen which brings out defects more than smaller screens do.

P.S. When will 50 GB blank BDs be available at an affordable price?

Comment

Originally posted by bearlight View Post
          In essence, you are right. Nonetheless, in the past, I have noticed that the lower the compression rate number is, the less clear the visual aspect of the final outcome will be.

If the number is above 80% there's a pretty good chance that you won't notice that much of a difference. Anything below that is taking a chance.
          I only say that because I'm speaking from experience. There were times when I had movies compressed at like 60% where I would have sworn they'd look like crap beforehand and they turned out fantastic, visually indistinguishable from the original. And I'm an anal proofreader so that's saying a lot!

Comment

Yeah, this question is like "How long is a piece of string?"

Nearly every movie will give differing results but the following factors contribute:-

Amount of action
            Speed of action
            Darkness of movie
            Grain of Movie
            What you are happy with
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I'm doing my first one and is it normal that it takes 30hrs to compress 38GB to a 25GB Disc?

Comment

Originally posted by laz305 View Post
                I'm doing my first one and is it normal that it takes 30hrs to compress 38GB to a 25GB Disc?
                No, it is absolutely abnormal

In order to provide any meaningful help, you'll need to provide some specifics, including your hardware, otherwise this is all guesswork.

I know this is your first post, but you should start your own thread as your issue is unrelated to the OP.
                You'll receive better and more specific advice....plus no one will criticize you for hijacking someone else's thread.

Keep in mind, when posting a problem/question...
                The devil's in the details...
                If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Two comments:

First - how long it takes to compress is a function of your computer and how it is set up. If you have a single core CPU with the wrong DMA setting, it's going to take a while, a long while. A high end quad core CPU with correct settings will fly on the other hand. Who cares really though - you end up with a backup eventually anyway.

Second - I always thought compression ratio was somewhat irrelevant. What is relevant to picture quality is the encoding bit rate - the higher the bit rate, the better the resolution. In other words, if you have a 90 minute movie weighing in at 30 GB (high bit rate), then go ahead and compress to a 25 GB blank. However, if you have a 150 minute movie at 30 GB (already a lower bit rate), you might just want to not compress any more, but instead just backup to a 50 GB blank to preserve the picture quality.

Comment

Working...
                  X