This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with playing BD Rips via WDTV

Hi, guys...need some help/advise on playing back some BD Rips on a WDTV. I've spent hours screwing around with this over the past few weeks and cannot seem to get past the problem.

Here's the scenario - I'm ripping Images of my BDs to my HD using other software. Then using DVDFab...I'm processing the Main Movie Only and downconverting the HD Audio (if applicable) to a new folder on the HD. Then I use DVDFab to convert it to another ISO. And then I transfer the new ISO to an external HD which I then use with a WDTV to watch it on TV.

The reason I change it back to ISO is so I can access sub-titles, etc...for some reason the WDTV (and PowerDVD for that matter) apparently want it in an ISO format to be able to pull that information. It took me hours & hours to figure that out.

But - here's the issue now...for just about every movie (not all...go figure) that I play back on the WDTV, it starts to stutter or go into slow-mo at certain points, and audio cuts in-n-out. I've two WDTV units and it does the exact same thing with both, and I've used a couple different external HDs (thinking maybe the HD was bad) and that's not it either. These ISOs play perfectly on my PC with PowerDVD as well.

So - I'm stuck...and I'm hoping the experts on this forum have run into this themselves, or know of some possible solutions.

Thanks, guys!

Spaz2.3
    Last edited by W&B; 12-05-2009, 04:43 PM. Reason: removed software reference

Sounds like a WDTV problem since the files play back ok on your computer. DVDFab has a Blu-ray to Mobile option thats being developed but not yet available. Some users rip Blu-rays to a folder then convert the m2ts files with File to Mobile option. Might give that a shot. If you end up with multiple m2ts files you can use tsmuxer to combine all the files into one large file before converting. Not sure if you'll retain the sub-titles though.

Comment

The most likely issue that would cause what you are describing is the bitrate at those points in the movie. BD content can be quite intensive so you may be running into the limits of the WDTV chip or USB I/O. I have a similar problem streaming BD content to the PS3 when the bitrate gets above 40K in parts of a movie. I forget what the BD spec allows, but it is quite high.

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys...

Regarding the bitrate...is there a solution to that? I mean - can it be tweaked during conversion, etc? I've not had to mess with that yet...but it makes sense to me. As Wild&Blue stated...since the file plays fine on the PC, it's got to be a WDTV issue.

I've used TSMuxer to pull out the Movie Only before...but I'm not sure if it gives an option of playing with the bitrate. I don't think DVDFAB can?

Thanks, guys...

Spaz2.3

Comment

DVDFab Blu-Ray to Blu-Ray uses a bitrate that is within the BD specification with an average bitrate that will fit in the output size you specify. It varies moment to moment based on the content being presented. The only way to reduce it would be to use one of the smaller profiles (BD5 for example) which would cut the quality.

Comment

So that defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do - keep the quality as high as possible.

Ok - let me try a new avenue of attack. For what I'm trying to do - store my BDs electronically (preferrably just the main movie) on an external HD and then watch them on my TV (not the PC)...any suggestions on what might work best?

Thanks, guys...

Comment

Other than what Complication suggested with the BD5 or BD9 compression feature(which I think you'll be surprised with the outcome but what's great to one isn't to another) I don't know. Converting to a mkv.h264.audiocopy format looks good to me also but not what you're wanting to do I know.

Comment

the WDTV has issues with iso playback so it not a DVDFab issue! Try doing main movie only in iso and playback with the WDTV to see if that plays correctly

Comment

Working...
                X