Slow compression times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow compression times

I know this has been covered and I think I have all the recommended settings set. I do have everything set to software with lightning record off and gpu selected. Compressing a 25g file to 22g takes four hours or more. Ive read a thread that said a better graphics card will make a big difference. Im really looking for info on upgrading my system. I am work now, so I ll post the log as soon as I get home.

But as far as my current system I have an HP pavilion slimline with windows 7, intel celeron dual core E3200 2.4ghz, 3gb ddr, 320g hdd, Integrated graphics (Intel(R) Media Accelerator 3100) [VGA

Im sure I can use an upgrade for the graphics card, but not sure of what would work with this system. When Im compressing my cpu usage goes into the 90% range. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

chrisb,
    4 hrs + for your system seems pretty good speed. Your system is not most robust system out there... sorry.
    I don't think new videocard will solve your issue completely. Although you will notice significant speed improvement if you install older versions of CUDA-capable nVidia cards, (something like STX250 or any of STX 200-series), you have to remember that you installing it on older, outdated hardware (CPU, MoBo, etc.).
    Unless you want to rebuild entire system, I would suggest to add to your current system older piece of hardware - STX 200-series card - that will be compatible with your current configuration.
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

IPopov, thanks for the info. yes the thread I was referring to stated to get a graphics card compatible with cuda. I do, however, want to upgrade my system. I thought I could just make a minor upgrade to get me by temporarily.

Comment

That seems about right for the system you have. My computer specs are listed below and a 26gb to 23.145gb compression takes me roughly 50-70 minutes. My CPU runs around 90% and my video card is barely used. I believe my system is now limited by my HDD write/read speed. A SSD would probably take my times down below 45 min for that kind of compression.

Upgrade your CPU, MB and GPU if you want a significant drop in compression time. Otherwise, be patient.

AMD Phenom II x6 1100t (OC'd to 3.6 GHz)
        COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520
        Thermaltake V3 Black Edition (Case)
        HIS H685FN1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB
        BIOSTAR TA990FXE AM3+ AMD 990FX
        OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular
        G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
        WD Blue 500gb HD
        LITE-ON Black Blu-ray Burner IHBS112-04
        HP DVD Burner

Comment

Working...
        X