BluRay copy times super slow - 16 hours at times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BluRay copy times super slow - 16 hours at times

I have widely varying performance with BluRay copy. Sometimes copy times are 3 hours or so, but very often, they span 12 or even 17 hours. Sometimes the application just stops progress with no error message at all. My system is at the low end of power - Toshiba Satellite notebook with.Dual Core Intel i3 CPU with 8GB RAM. Win 7 64, and an integrated Intel HD Graphics controller. I use an eternal LG BE12LU30 BluRay Drive connected via SATA.

Are there resources that explain how to st the DVDFab setting specific to various configs? GPU codecs are disabled and performance seems the same whether Lightning is on or off. More importantly, an ideas of the extreme difference in processing times?

I hate to say it but it really is the limited processing power of your Toshiba Notebook combined with the fact that you have an external Blu-ray drive. I would highly recommend using a Desktop PC with a processor from the mid- to high-end range to cut down on encoding times. A well stacked Desktop PC should generally be cheaper than its Notebook counterpart hence my recommendation. I was using a Toshiba Notebook to burn Blu-rays just like you in the beginning but I got fed up with how long it took to process and decided to build my first computer and I couldn't be more satisfied! Encoding times never take me over an 45 min to complete on my custom built i7 quad-core rig. I'd recommend you do likewise, my friend!
    Last edited by SuperFist; 09-19-2012, 09:02 PM.

Comment

I think DVDFab should really look into this issue.

Originally posted by SuperFist View Post
      I hate to say it but it really is the limited processing power of your Toshiba Notebook combined with the fact that you have an external Blu-ray drive. I would highly recommend using a Desktop PC with a processor from the mid- to high-end range to cut down on encoding times. A well stacked Desktop PC should generally be cheaper than its Notebook counterpart hence my recommendation. I was using a Toshiba Notebook to burn Blu-rays just like you in the beginning but I got fed up with how long it took to process and decided to build my first computer and I couldn't be more satisfied! Encoding times never take me over an 45 min to complete on my custom built i7 quad-core rig. I'd recommend you do likewise, my friend!
      While I agree with your assessment that the member should invest in a new desktop pc with the latest components, I'm not sure that is going to help him/her much until DVDFab fixes the newer versions.

I got a new desktop last April with pretty much the latest (as of 5 months ago) components. Compressing time took me approximately the same as you - 40 to 51minutes (sometimes less depending on the movie). Recently - I'd say close to a month ago - I noticed the latter versions of DVDFab for Blu-Ray Copy started taking an inordinate amount of time to simply scan a disc before it's ready to be compressed. All of a sudden compression time also jumped up to approximately 4 hours. This is unacceptable considering what I invested in the new pc!

I took the same discs and copied them using my old Vista clunker. Surprise, surprise! The same thing. It took the same amout of time for scanning (actually a little less scanning time) and approximately the same 4 hours + compression time as my newer pc (which was not happening until approximately a month ago). Mind you, the Vista pc is from 2006 and does not have the newer components that my 2012 pc has...

I'd say the problem lies with DVDFab's newer versions and not so much with the computers we're using - notwithstanding the laptop that was mentioned.

I've read many a post from members complaining about this same problem.

Has anyone at DVDFab been reading our complaints? I wonder...

Comment

Glad to know its not just me

Thanks to bearlight for the sanity check. I can appreciate that my config may not be ideal, but if I'm so underpowered, i would expect all copies to run slow. Yest, sometimes a BluRay copy completes in less that 3 hours and sometimes it takes 18. I find it hard to believe that Righteous Kill (18 hours) is that much harder to process than The Hunger Games. In fact, I would expect the copy times to be reversed.

Comment

I don't know about you guys but anything more than an hour and a half is too much for me to wait. I will cancel the process if it reaches over that mark. Did any of you try previous versions of DVDFab? I know this doesn't really resolve the matter but at least it might be a temporary fix to get your movie backed up until an update surfaces.

Comment

Now you got me thinking about external BD writer vs. internal. I think I was using the internal writer when I was getting the good compression time for discs. I recently switched to the external BD writer, but I'm not sure whether that is the problem. Too many people have been reporting the same problems that I have been encountering.

Also, I wonder whether anyone who knows how to fix this problem would be interested in responding. Anyone from DVDFab would be nice... Do you think they read our posts?

Comment

Times

Hi I got a cheaper build and it never takes more than a hour and half for copy than compression thinking it may be that external drive my specs are slightly different but that's way to long make sure you have nothing running in background to take up CPU usage
              Last edited by Jonatan; 09-22-2012, 11:03 AM.
              ...Death Before Dishonor...

Comment

Compressing 3D-Movies to 25GB takes up to 24 hours and more for me...
                2D-Movies are 17-20 hours.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 ghz
                Ram: 3gb
                with Software-Encoder...

Comment

Again... did you all try any previous versions of DVDFab to hold you over until they find a fix? Oh, and don't forget to post your logs!

I really and truly can't believe you would wait a full day to copy a movie. I'll let you guys know now, if it takes more time to compress or encode the movie than the movie itself, there is something amiss... either in the hardware or the software. Either way, it's way too long for me! You all have the patience of Job.

Originally posted by bearlight View Post
                  Also, I wonder whether anyone who knows how to fix this problem would be interested in responding. Anyone from DVDFab would be nice... Do you think they read our posts?
                  I'm pretty sure it's probably because no one has posted their logs. They can't help you unless they have hard data.
                  Last edited by SuperFist; 09-23-2012, 01:30 AM.

Comment

I noticed the big increase in backup time right around the release of The Hunger Games. I would have to look back to quote release numbers.

Comment

I've felt a similar issue - I have a laptop with an i7 and 8GB of ram, and it slowed down massively - normal encodes (usually around 2-3 hours max) have bumped up to 8-12 hours suddenly...

Comment

Post A Log

Originally posted by ChazinCT View Post
                        Thanks to bearlight for the sanity check. I can appreciate that my config may not be ideal, but if I'm so underpowered, i would expect all copies to run slow. Yest, sometimes a BluRay copy completes in less that 3 hours and sometimes it takes 18. I find it hard to believe that Righteous Kill (18 hours) is that much harder to process than The Hunger Games. In fact, I would expect the copy times to be reversed.
                        Hi!

I'm not sure whether I can add anything regarding how long it takes to copy a BD. The only two that I was able to copy did take about 1 hour to copy and a little less to write to a blank BD WHEN the system was working...

BTW, i am not as technically proficient as you all (anyone who has taken the time to reply) are. Thus, writing that I should - post a log - is Greek to me! No offense against anyone of Greek origin or the language. I just don't know it! I am simply trying to illustrate how difficult that advice is to someone who doesn't really know his way around DVDFab.

I still need help though. Thus, keep in mind my level of expertise IF you do decide to respond. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bearlight

Comment

I did not write this!

While I agree with your assessment that the member should invest in a new desktop pc with the latest components, I'm not sure that is going to help him/her much until DVDFab fixes the newer versions.

I got a new desktop last April with pretty much the latest (as of 5 months ago) components. Compressing time took me approximately the same as you - 40 to 51minutes (sometimes less depending on the movie). Recently - I'd say close to a month ago - I noticed the latter versions of DVDFab for Blu-Ray Copy started taking an inordinate amount of time to simply scan a disc before it's ready to be compressed. All of a sudden compression time also jumped up to approximately 4 hours. This is unacceptable considering what I invested in the new pc!

I took the same discs and copied them using my old Vista clunker. Surprise, surprise! The same thing. It took the same amout of time for scanning (actually a little less scanning time) and approximately the same 4 hours + compression time as my newer pc (which was not happening until approximately a month ago). Mind you, the Vista pc is from 2006 and does not have the newer components that my 2012 pc has...

I'd say the problem lies with DVDFab's newer versions and not so much with the computers we're using - notwithstanding the laptop that was mentioned.

I've read many a post from members complaining about this same problem.

Has anyone at DVDFab been reading our complaints? I wonder...
                          I did not write this!

Bearlight

Comment

Post a Log

Again... did you all try any previous versions of DVDFab to hold you over until they find a fix? Oh, and don't forget to post your logs!

I really and truly can't believe you would wait a full day to copy a movie. I'll let you guys know now, if it takes more time to compress or encode the movie than the movie itself, there is something amiss... either in the hardware or the software. Either way, it's way too long for me! You all have the patience of Job.

I'm pretty sure it's probably because no one has posted their logs. They can't help you unless they have hard data.
                            HOW do I go about posting a log? I fully understand: "They can't help you unless thy have hard data." I would have done it already if I had an idea of what to do...

Thanks,

Bearlight

Comment

HOW do I go about posting a log? I fully understand: "They can't help you unless thy have hard data." I would have done it already if I had an idea of what to do...

Thanks,

Bearlight
                              See here -
                              This page includes all the frequently asked questions and their answers as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X