This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blu Ray to DVD?

I am guessing this can be done but unsure of how to do it. From the Blu Ray to Blu Ray menu do I select Main Movie and then drop down the compression to DVD9? I have two drives, a blu ray burner and a DVD burner, if I select the output device as the DVD drive, will it just go from source blu ray drive to output dvd drive? Of course with a lot of time in the middle for compression. Just curious as there is no "Blu Ray to DVD" specific option.

Thanks,
    Joe

DVDFab can go from drive to drive but it is not recommended due to the fact that your Blu-Ray drive will be running constantly for the time it takes to convert. You are better off ripping to the hard drive first and then do the compression step.

By the way, it is BD-9 not DVD9 that DVDFab creates. BD-9 is a Blu-Ray format that can be written to a dual layer DVDR and played on most Blu-Ray players. DVDFab cannot convert from Blu-Ray to standard DVD format (yet).

Comment

I have done the conversion using NeroVision 9. I actually ripped to BD25...then imported the file into NeroVision and chose burn DVD. At that point, NeroVision said that the file needed compression to fit on a DVD9...so I chose YES and it recoded it and burned to DVD. Excellent quality and now I have a DVD backup of my Blue Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Complication View Post
        DVDFab can go from drive to drive but it is not recommended due to the fact that your Blu-Ray drive will be running constantly for the time it takes to convert. You are better off ripping to the hard drive first and then do the compression step.

By the way, it is BD-9 not DVD9 that DVDFab creates. BD-9 is a Blu-Ray format that can be written to a dual layer DVDR and played on most Blu-Ray players. DVDFab cannot convert from Blu-Ray to standard DVD format (yet).

Thanks, this is what I meant. I am not in front of the program. Also, I believe DVDFab rips to a temp folder and then burns, so it is in essence going from optical drive to hard drive to optical drive. This could be different going from one drive to another though. I have only burned blu rays and since I only have one blu ray burner I must rip and then put in a blank BD-r to write.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Joe View Post
          Thanks, this is what I meant. I am not in front of the program. Also, I believe DVDFab rips to a temp folder and then burns, so it is in essence going from optical drive to hard drive to optical drive. This could be different going from one drive to another though. I have only burned blu rays and since I only have one blu ray burner I must rip and then put in a blank BD-r to write.
          In both single and multiple drive situations DVDFab will continually access the Blu-Ray source as it needs more information for the compression process. Only the completed output is held in the temp folder as far as I know. This is a desirable method if you do not have lots of space on your hard drive to store the ripped BD. It is possible that your computer is fast enough to compress the video as fast as the BD source drive can read it, but that is not usually the case so the drive ends up spinning while it waits for more read requests.

Comment

I think I understand what you are saying, thanks again. My computer is really fast and I have a ton of hard drive space. I would prefer a complete rip to the hard drive and then a burn once the rip is complete. Right? This way the blu ray drive gets a break.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Joe View Post
              I would prefer a complete rip to the hard drive and then a burn once the rip is complete. Right? This way the blu ray drive gets a break.
              Correct. You can opt for Main Movie only if that is all you need. Just make sure to select BD50 so that no compression takes place.

Comment

Working...
              X