Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blu ray copy Help

Hey all,

I have been using dvdfab for over 6 years and just recently decided to get into backing up my blu rays rather than doing just my dvds. I am currently running dvdfab 8.2.2.6 on Windows Vista. I have an external blu ray player LG BE14NU40 14x. When I first started, I noticed it was going to take over 9 hours to just read the disc and then an additional 5 hours to write the disc. It was averaging 1.00-1.25 Mb/s. I started to do some looking on here and found that if I downloaded imgburn it would speed the write speed up. So I downloaded it and put all the settings to my Phillips 6x discs and the AWS. I then tried Total Recall, it read the disc within 45 mins at an average of 9.00 Mb/s and wrote the disc in about 20 mins.

I thought everything was okay but then I tried to do Looper. It again went back to the 1.00 Mb/s read speed and was going to take about 8 hours. I exited out and went back to Imgburn to make sure everything was still set up properly. And of course, everything was still set properly as the last time I burned a blu ray. I did some more research and noticed that it would reduce the time if I copied the blu ray to my hard drive and then just write it to the disc from there. I did this for Looper and it took 1 & a half hours to read and then about 7 hours to write with a approx speed of 2.00 Mb/s.

This still seems quite odd to me because when I read everyone else's success with blu ray copying, they all talk about it taking 1 and a half for the whole process.

I then tried to do The Dark Knight Rises the same way I did Looper. I first saved it to the hard drive and that took about 2 hours with a read speed of 4.50 MB/s. But every time I try to write it, I set the target as my Blu ray drive but when I click start, it changes the target to my hard drive. I have done this about 5 times and every time it changed the target to my hard drive rather than my blank blu ray in my blu ray burner.

I have also downloaded dvdfab 9 to see if that would make a difference. The exact same problems have occured no matter which dvdfab version I use. I am running this whole set up on a Sony Vaio 300 GB Intel Centrino laptop. I have numerous times restarted my computer. When I burn regular DVD's everything runs perfectly fine and the MB/s are normal. This only happens when I try to copy blu rays.

Please help.

I have been all over the internet looking for solutions and have not found one similar to mine. It just makes it weird that it would work great with the good Mb/s speeds for one dvd but then for other ones it would go all the way down to the 1.00 Mb/s.

Any information would help greatly since I am new to the Blu ray back ups but have been doing my dvds for over 5 years.

Thank you for your time,

Mdpq6c

well unfortunately your biggest bottleneck is your CPU...Intel Centrino.

The problem you are experiencing is the compression to fit on your BD25.

Try copying a movie to BD50 on your hard drive...should not take very long maybe an hour or less. This is because it does not compress anything.

Some movies can fit to BD25 without compression, some cannot. Batman the Dark Night Rises is over two hour long, definitely needs compression!

Only advice with Bluray compression/conversion...is to upgrade your CPU.

I was using a Intel Core 2 Duo and would take literally 12 hours to compress or convert...now with new Intel i5 I range between 2-4 hours.

Comment

In a nutshell, Bluray H.264 codec is more CPU intensive than mpeg2 from the good ol' dvd days!

Comment

Thanks for the help. I kinda figured it would be my computer making it go so slow. It just makes me curious as to why one movie would be only an hour and a half to copy a blu ray but yet it is taking over 15 hours for another. I'm not sure if I said this in my previous post but the movie I got to copy in an hour or so was going to take 15 hours before I went in and downloaded imgburn. That has me wondering if it really is my computer or something with my settings. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks though

Comment

Working...
        X