This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Verbatim 4X burn at 8X?

I have seen through reviews that people state that even though these are 4X BD-R's people burn them at 8X. Can DVDFab do this if I change speed from "recommended" to "8X" in the options? Any experiences?

You will end up with a lot of coasters !!!

Recommended burn speed is 1/2 the rated speed of the media.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Joe View Post
      I have seen through reviews that people state that even though these are 4X BD-R's people burn them at 8X. Can DVDFab do this if I change speed from "recommended" to "8X" in the options? Any experiences?
      download and install ImgBurn and then do a discovery for the blank media you have. It will then give you the burn speeds that are available for that media. Do a copy paste to post that info here and then someone will be able to tell you what speed you can burn those at and get a good burn from it

Comment

I wouldn't suggest it even with the verbs. That's usually what causes playback problems is burning to fast.

Comment

Hear you guys loud and clear on making coasters. I am actually in no hurry in trying to go from 4X to 8X because this time is trivial compared to the amount of time it takes to compress to 25GB! (my 50GB discs are on the way).

Here is my imageburn discovery information, let me know if anything of this means anything to any of you with regard to 8X:

HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH08LS20 1.00 (RAID)
          Current Profile: BD-R

Disc Information:
          Erasable: No
          Free Sectors: 12,219,392
          Free Space: 25,025,314,816 bytes
          Free Time: 2715:27:17 (MM:SS:FF)
          Supported Write Speeds: 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x

BD Disc Information:
          Disc ID: VERBAT-IMc-00
          Disc Type: BD-R

Performance (Write Speed):
          Descriptor 1...
          -> B0: 0x02, B1: 0x00, B2: 0x00, B3: 0x00
          -> EL: 12219391 (0x00BA73FF)
          -> RS: 14,881 KB/s (3.4x) - WS: 8,991 KB/s (2x)
          Descriptor 2...
          -> RS: 14,881 KB/s (3.4x) - WS: 17,982 KB/s (4x)
          Descriptor 3...
          -> RS: 14,881 KB/s (3.4x) - WS: 26,973 KB/s (6x)
          Descriptor 4...
          -> RS: 14,881 KB/s (3.4x) - WS: 35,964 KB/s (8x)
          Last edited by Boston Joe; 12-17-2009, 08:40 AM.

Comment

OK, the burn speeds available to you with those verbs are 2x, 4x, 6x and 8x speed. I burn my Double Layer verbatim at a burn speed of 6x so for you using Blu-ray media I would not go any faster than 6x but that speed will not guarantee a good burn so the safe speed for now I think would be a burn speed of 4x speed. I would also wait for others who actually use the Blu-ray feature of DVDFab as I have not gone the Blu-ray way yet

Comment

Thanks! Yes, I am hoping the Blu Ray to Blu Ray folks will chime in as this is the forum for it I believe.

Another question, how does "recommended work"? What is the speed DVDFab sets?

Comment

Another question, how does "recommended work"? What is the speed DVDFab sets?
                Check out this link below for that

Follow the youtube video for setting up the recommended for ImgBurn

Comment

Thanks! Yes, I am hoping the Blu Ray to Blu Ray folks will chime in as this is the forum for it I believe.
                  I think AGJ is correct, same holds true for Blu-ray same as DVD recommended burn speed. Half the reported speed available using ImgBurn (from my personal experince)

Comment

In regards to the Verbatim 4x burning at 8x, I have a package of 10 Verbatim BD-R 25gig discs rated at 4x (same ones as Boston Joe seems to be using) and Imgburn sees them as 8x after the latest firmware update to my drive.

I have burned all of the discs at 8x (using an LG BH08LS20) and all have worked perfectly. No coasters, no digital picture break-up, or pauses. Burning a 25gig disc in around 12 minutes is very cool

My drive is an internal Sata burner and I wouldn't recommend using 8x any external burners as the buffer will not be able to handle the data as fast.

Thanks

Comment

Methos - we have the same setup. Thanks for chiming in. Great burner so far!

Comment

No problem Joe,

As of your original posting, you were using older firmware (HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH08LS20 1.00). I would suggest updating to the latest firmware (v2.x) for that LG drive. I will assume that BH and WH are the same drives, just different colors.

Hope this helps, let me know what happens when you try it at 8x.

Thanks
                        Ray

Comment

Strange, I have the black drive, got it from newegg. The firmware you posted as well as the 'B" version on the LG site will not recognize my drive probably because of the "W" and there is no "W" drive on the LG website.

Comment

Nice, oh well, maybe your drive is newer and doesn't require any update. I saw another posting that said v1.0 was the latest for your drive.

Oh, and the LG site and the lack of updates and products has been a pet peeve of mine for years.

Thanks
                            Ray

Comment

Did some googling and searching here. Not the same drives. 1.00 is the latest for me.

http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

EDIT = posted at the same time as you. Thanks for checking it out as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X