• Show
Clear All

Write Error message

I have the follwoing setup;

DVDFab v6.2.1.0
    Vista Ultimate 64bit
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 4TB
    Netgear EVA9150

I recently upgraded DVDFab to allow Blu Ray support. Upon doing this I found that I had buffering issues when playing the ripped DVD's. To resolve this I enabled NFS support on my NAS and also the client on my PC.

With this configured in this way I am prevented from Ripping a dvd (any dvd not just blu ray) direct to my NAS and recieve a 'write error' from DVDFab. If however I rip the DVD to my local drive and then manually copy using explorer this works successfully so there would appear to be an issue within DVDFab.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or is this a 'feature' ??

Originally posted by Noginthenog View Post
    I recently upgraded DVDFab to allow Blu Ray support. Upon doing this I found that I had buffering issues when playing the ripped DVD's.
    Maybe you were having buffering issues with Blu-Ray playback, not DVD? Upgrading DVDFab would have no effect on playing ripped DVDs unless you where using DVDFab for playback.

To resolve this I enabled NFS support on my NAS and also the client on my PC.

With this configured in this way I am prevented from Ripping a dvd (any dvd not just blu ray) direct to my NAS and recieve a 'write error' from DVDFab. If however I rip the DVD to my local drive and then manually copy using explorer this works successfully so there would appear to be an issue within DVDFab.
    There are 2 possibilities I can think of here. It may be that the NFS implementation in Vista or the ReadyNAS does not support a particular API call that DVDFab is making (I'm guessing here). If that is the case then you may want to use SMB for ripping and NFS for playback. I do something similar because my NAS's DNLA indexer ignores files added via NFS.

The second possibility may be a permission problem. NFS, being a unix file system, has very different file permissions. I'm not sure if you can adjust or see these permissions on the ReadyNAS but you might check their forums for others with similar issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Complication View Post
      Maybe you were having buffering issues with Blu-Ray playback, not DVD? Upgrading DVDFab would have no effect on playing ripped DVDs unless you where using DVDFab for playback.

There are 2 possibilities I can think of here. It may be that the NFS implementation in Vista or the ReadyNAS does not support a particular API call that DVDFab is making (I'm guessing here). If that is the case then you may want to use SMB for ripping and NFS for playback. I do something similar because my NAS's DNLA indexer ignores files added via NFS.

The second possibility may be a permission problem. NFS, being a unix file system, has very different file permissions. I'm not sure if you can adjust or see these permissions on the ReadyNAS but you might check their forums for others with similar issues.

Re playback - yes this is squarly a throughput issue between the readynas and EVA9150 , nothing to do with how it was ripped. It was suggested I went to NFS support to enable the faster throughput and this worked.

SMB is also enable on the share on the ReadyNAS and indeed must have worked they way you suggested as initially I didn't have the NFS client enabled on Vista but could still manually copy from PC to the NAS. If it were a permissioning issue then I wouldn't expect to be able to copy manually would I? (Incidentally it seems to create the directory structure on the NAS but fails to write any data)

Comment

SMB is also enable on the share on the ReadyNAS and indeed must have worked they way you suggested as initially I didn't have the NFS client enabled on Vista but could still manually copy from PC to the NAS. If it were a permissioning issue then I wouldn't expect to be able to copy manually would I? (Incidentally it seems to create the directory structure on the NAS but fails to write any data)
        Logically, you wouldn't think it could be a permission problem because you can copy stuff there, but my experience tells me different. However, failure of the NFS implementation to support the way DVDFab is trying to write the files seems like a more likely scenario. What does the path look like to DVDFab?

C:\NFS\
        N:\
        \\ReadyNAS\NFS\

Comment

Originally posted by Complication View Post
          Logically, you wouldn't think it could be a permission problem because you can copy stuff there, but my experience tells me different. However, failure of the NFS implementation to support the way DVDFab is trying to write the files seems like a more likely scenario. What does the path look like to DVDFab?

C:\NFS\
          N:\
          \\ReadyNAS\NFS\
          I'm using the \\Readynas\Share\ option. Same share regardless of if NFS is enabled on the NAS or not so from Vista's perspective there should be no change

Comment

I'm using the \\Readynas\Share\ option. Same share regardless of if NFS is enabled on the NAS or not so from Vista's perspective there should be no change
            DVDFab does not like UNC paths. Map a drive letter and try that.

Comment

Working...
            X