This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help! DVDFab is not compressing its stated value

Hi all! My first post and I'm having difficulty with the 'Main Movie' Function. It may be two problems that are related so please bare with me. I using the 'Main Movie' option to back up my Blu-Ray discs, now the first problem is DVDFab isn't compressing the movie to its estimated final size to fit onto the BD25-R that i'm using which results with an 'Wont fit on the disk error'. DVDFab states before the compression that it's going to compress to 23.145GB but the resulting image (I make an ISO image first) is 23.681GB also when I try to correct this by re-compressing the image, DVDFab states (23.681 -> 23.145 GB) and I proceed onto the copying process DVDFab states that no compression is needed and just copies the image to the 23.681GB size as before! It seems to be a vicious circle! If anybody can help with this it would be great. I have messed about with the common settings menu and entered various amounts in the 'Write' section where I can alter the 'Writable Media Size' but its a gray area (current settings are 23700) because DVDFab isn't estimating the final correct size or for some reason making the files bigger than need be. I don't want to compress the movie down if the movie would fit on the media without compression and altering the 'Media Size Value' to a lower value would in most cases compress all movies? Anyway hope somebody can help, many thanks.

Are you first creating an iso in Full Disc mode and using that as the source for you Main Movie rip and compression if needed?

Also read the Help Us Help You document (link in my sig) and post the info, thanks.
    You might also try ImgBurn as Fab's burn engine (link in my sig for instructions how).
    The included VSO is known to be buggy for some users.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm going to run some tests today, the error log is very full so I'm going to clear them and start fresh and try to organize them into a more meaningful interpretation. Also I have a similar system elsewhere in the house which is used as a media center with the only noticeable difference being the OS, Graphics card and Blu-ray writer (not a burner) Ill post back here soon with the results, thanks Kwiss.

Comment

Fixed

Ok I seem to have found the fault. When the 'Remove HD audio' is checked even though DVDFab states it is going to re-compress the Blu-ray iso it doesn't, it skips the process. But if I leave the 'Remove HD audio' unchecked DVDFab starts to re-encode and and compresses the Blu-ray down to the size I have set in the 'Common settings - Write' menu. I don't know if I have misunderstood this option but it appears to be back-to-front? Anyway I'm going to run a few more tests on XP32 and VistaX64 and I will post the results here.

Comment

Re-compressing now

Ok both of my systems are re-compressing the Blu-ray iso as I write this so I'm assuming the file size will be the size I have set in the 'Common settings - Write' menu. It would appear that if you leave the 'Remove HD audio' option UNCHECKED DVDFab will re-compress the video and audio data. If however you CHECK the 'Remove HD audio' option DVDFab isn't picking up the flag to trans-code the HD audio to ac3 and assumes no re-compression is needed even though it states the file will be 23.600GB -> 22.300GB in the analysis. If I rip the whole Blu-ray to iso and have the 'Remove HD audio' CHECKED and then I use the Main Movie function to make a BD25-R copy the problem begins again as the 'Remove HD audio' option isn't there (obviously) and re-compression is skipped again. So basically if I don't touch 'Remove HD audio' option at all in any stage of the process everything works well (although I'm not sure if the HD audio is compressed along with the video, if it isn't than the 'Remove HD audio' option would be handy to make more room for the video stream). Would be interesting to know if anybody else is having similar problems with this or if its just my two PCs? Anyway hope this helps and if you need the loggings I'll post them. Kwiss.

Comment

This seems to be a known issue with a few movies. Can you mention what movie(s) you are talking about.

Check this thread...

Hope this helps.

Comment

Sure its 'The Proposal'. All seems ok at the moment (If I leave the Remove HD audio UNCHECKED) in both processes. The post you mentioned seems to be similar to my problem (would be interested to know if they had the HD checked or not) I have been lucky with other titles as they did not need any re-compression anyway. There is always a work-a-round to every software and this seems to be it for me so I'm happy for now lol.

Comment

I've been having the same problem with Terminator:Salvation & Harry Potter 6. Right now I'm checking the improvement by adding a new graphics card with CUDA on my 23+ hrs to do Star Trek XI. Right now it's down to 16+ hrs on my "ancient" P4 3.0 GHz. I'll check those titles again once it's finished, without checking the "Remove HD Audio". That may well be the problem.

Will also check with the new beta released today.
                Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (Stock)
                Gigabyte EP45-UD3P w/ FD Bios
                4MB G.Skill PC2-6400
                nVidia GeForce GT 240

Comment

New Beta

I've tried the new Beta and had the same problem but for testing purposes I switched back to the November release (didn't want to cloud the issue using the Beta) If you try the Beta and it works can you let me know? These are pretty new releases we are both trying to back-up here and it smells a bit fishy!

Comment

When working with Blu-Ray always use the latest beta as BD is a work in process.

Comment

Beta

Ive tried and tested the Beta and the problem still exists.

Comment

I have read in other threads where the setting to remove the HD audio may be causing a problem. Try changing that setting. My guess is that DVDFab currently has a calculation error to do with HD audio being included or not. Also, I believe others have gotten around the issue by temporarily reducing the BD25 output size to compensate (in DVDFab settings).

Comment

ok

Everything is ok now if I leave 'Remove HD audio' unchecked which I can live with.

Comment

I too finally got Terminator Salvation to work by NOT CHECKING remove HD audio. I'll give Harry Potter 6 a try now.
                            Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (Stock)
                            Gigabyte EP45-UD3P w/ FD Bios
                            4MB G.Skill PC2-6400
                            nVidia GeForce GT 240

Comment

Great news

Thats great news!

Comment

Working...
                              X