9.0.3 beta - Black screen on The Hobbit 3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D Copy 9.0.3 beta - Black screen on The Hobbit 3D

Did a quick 1:1 full disc copy to .iso for The Hobbit 3D that I just picked up today. Burned the .iso to a 50GB blank.
    When the main menu comes up, there is no picture playing in the background, and when I start the film, the timer/counter just stays at 00:00:00 and never plays.

No time to grab logs as I'm late for work, but just wanted to throw out there that there is something going on with The Hobbit 3D as of now.

Will try more backups of it in a few days and may be able to produce some logs at that time.

If its a 20th century fox bluray then welcome to the black screen club.

Ive had this issue since Oct 2012 and still not got anywhere with it.
    Avatar..I robot..Ice age 4..Prometheus all in 3D give me a black screen with time counter not moving.

Does not matter what version you try,what method you try or wether you use 25 or 50gb discs.

Theres a few threads about it knocking around.

developers say it works for them and they cannot replicate the issue which means it seems unlikely to be sorted..if you get any further please post here with details on how you managed it.

Comment

Its MGM/NewLine/WarnerBros

Got it to work tonight... here is what I did.

(Worked with Disc 1 at least...)
      Used DVDFab9 to rip entire 50GB disk to HDD
      Mounted the rip to VirtualDrive 1.38
      Used DVDFab9 to convert the 50GB disk down to 25GB (also on HDD)
      Mounted the rip of the 25GB image to VirtualDrive 1.38
      Closed DVDFab9, went to DVDFab8 and did a movie only conversion to .iso (on HDD, obviously)
      Wrote the .iso to 25GB disk using ImgBurn.
      Backup disk plays fine in 3D and looks great. (Just missing the main menus)

Haven't tried it with Disc 2 yet... maybe in a while I will try that one so I can have my backup done for this movie.

Not sure if this will help anyone else, but its how I got it to work.
      If this helps anyone, let me know.
      Last edited by dgrams; 03-21-2013, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Dgrams: When making a 3d copy make a clone in version 9 use the latest version open blu ray copy use burn to make a 3d iso clone to hard drive or disk.If you made a full disk file instead of a clone you must use Fab burn engine to burn the disk with the 3d files.A iso clone is a 1-1 copy minus the copy protection.

Gary 1609:This movie is not a Fox movie.Three studios went in on it but Fox is not one of the 3.This move is the first to be filmed at 48 frames per second and show in some theaters this way twice the amount of film.

I don't know how the 3d blu-ray or normal blu ray will be authored at so we don't know yet if problems are going to happen with this disk theirs a guy about 6 topics below this one that had trouble with the normal blu ray but that was because he had used lightning recording after i recommend he unchecked this in software he was able to make a copy so lets see if Dgrams is going to have trouble or not after he does his copy from a 3d clone.

On the black screen problem did they buy a UK disk? as that's the problem a UK disk in certain model UK players from all I read so this must be the same for Fab to see if they can replicate the black screen problem.

Things you can do upload your disk to their server? It may take a few days to do it but then they will have your 50 gig disk iso then they need a UK effected player I would send them one if their not going to buy a UK model just enclose the disk with the player send it to China and see if they will pay to return it.

That's what i would do but first i would try to get them to buy the correct UK disk and player.The more people effected and complaining the better.

My only problem is why is their not more people complaining about this I know their are a handful now.Then again I don't know how many people are Fab customers In the UK that are also Forum members.

I do hope this gets solved as if they start doing the same thing outside of the UK making disks will grind to a stop fast.In all the problems i read about in Fab this is the most hi profile item that I would like to see get fixed as it's been going on for a long time now.

Oh don't know who told you they didn't replicate this black screen problem as if you read the release notes one of the older issue's of Fab said they had fixed some black screen problems so they must of been able to reproduce black screen problems in the past.

Gary did you look into getting a media player so you can put the disk on a hard drive and play with a media player bypassing making disks at all?.
        Last edited by glenns; 03-21-2013, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Hi Glenn.
          Not sure where the 'clone' option even is in version 9. Been looking around, and I dont see it anywhere.
          Full Disk, Main movie...etc.. are there but there is no clone option for BluRay (that I can find)
          The only Ver9 documentation out there does not say anything about the clone option.

Sorry to say, but I"m not going to mess around anymore with my Disc1 of The Hobbit. I got a backup of it (minus the menu) and I am more than fine with that - I dont want to turn this into an experiment, when I dont have 50GB media to just throw away. And with as much time as it takes to backup blu-rays.. I dont have time for it.

I will move on to disc2, but at first glance, I don't see any kind of Clone option in Fab9, so I will probably just do a main movie copy again.

I started a different thread to ask about the Clone option in Fab9 - we will see what people say.

Once I have my backups made, I may try a SBS backup for my media player as well, but at least I'm getting my main movie backed up for now.

Comment

Originally posted by glenns View Post

On the black screen problem did they buy a UK disk? as that's the problem a UK disk in certain model UK players from all I read so this must be the same for Fab to see if they can replicate the black screen problem.

Things you can do upload your disk to their server? It may take a few days to do it but then they will have your 50 gig disk iso then they need a UK effected player I would send them one if their not going to buy a UK model just enclose the disk with the player send it to China and see if they will pay to return it.

That's what i would do but first i would try to get them to buy the correct UK disk and player.The more people effected and complaining the better.

My only problem is why is their not more people complaining about this I know their are a handful now.Then again I don't know how many people are Fab customers In the UK that are also Forum members.

I do hope this gets solved as if they start doing the same thing outside of the UK making disks will grind to a stop fast.In all the problems i read about in Fab this is the most hi profile item that I would like to see get fixed as it's been going on for a long time now.

Oh don't know who told you they didn't replicate this black screen problem as if you read the release notes one of the older issue's of Fab said they had fixed some black screen problems so they must of been able to reproduce black screen problems in the past.

Gary did you look into getting a media player so you can put the disk on a hard drive and play with a media player bypassing making disks at all?.
            Hi Glenns
            It was potti who informed me they could not replicate it in jan

Thanks, Gary1609.
            We got many new 3D standalones, and still cannot repro the blackscreen problem. So the result of ssif, is the key.

As mentioned in another thread im using xp and so couldnt give the info about ssif key without doing things to my system which I just wasint prepared to mess with ( but thnx for trying to help me on that glenns )

Both Spacemonkey and myself tried the version that said blackscreen was fixed but it still didnt work for either of us and as we found later it did not work for others as well although for some people it did work so it seems to depend on what model player is used but ..and here is the kick,after giving DVDFab the links to the actual disc i bought and the player im using they told me they would purchase both and try it,I asked if they had carried out the test with said items and potti gave me the reply above so im not 100% sure if they have tried the exact disc and player as they said they would but pottis response made me think they would have done so.

I dont think many people are even purchasing 3D here in UK and then how many of them would even want to replicate for backup,and again how many of those do have a machine that plays the backup ok ( it seems certain that some machines are playing the copy back ok ).
            I think we are talking about a small group of people with the issue but as more people discover DVDFab and buy new players I think the problem will become more common.

I dont want an additional player to attach to my system and im really happy with the LG player ( simplink with my lg tv is great ) so the media route is not an option I am looking to go down.

What baffles me is as you say they have recognised the issue and in some cases fixed it so why does it still fail for some of us?
            Its not the discs i use or my method of backup because the backup disc will play on my PC using powerdvd..the issue has to relate to a group of standalone players..ive tried them in 3 different players ( LG,Panasonic and one other whose name escapes me ) and each time the disc loads,it tells me the film is 3d and to put glasses on,it goes into a menu ( although not always ) and when you press play or enter it just goes black screen and time count does not move from zero.

Thanks to Glenns and dgrams for the info on the hobbit,it comes out here in April and now I know its not a fox film I am confident that is one 3d disc i can back up safely as I have done with many other 3d discs.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary1609 View Post
              Hi Glenns
              I dont think many people are even purchasing 3D here in UK and then how many of them would even want to replicate for backup,and again how many of those do have a machine that plays the backup ok ( it seems certain that some machines are playing the copy back ok ).
              btw.
              It's not only UK disks !
              German disks are affected , too!

Comment

Gary:Fab also listed the 3d blu ray players they had in a post.They listed newer models some the same brand as the effected older models.They never say where these players were brought.Are they players for Europe or US?

You shouldn't assume anything ask and find out for sure the key question is did they use a disk made for Europe.Also did they use a Europe or a US model player? If your going to do the test you have to use the same disk and players effected to get a result that matters for the problem given.

Then we don't know what got fixed what was wrong that they found and fixed.What caused the black screen that they said they fixed?

Then another user posted he took out all the extra files Fab puts in a copied disk and only left in the files needed to play the disk and it worked so is the cause something fab puts in a copied disk that your player doesn't like and puts up a black screen?

Look at your older Fox titles were you ever able to make older backups that played with the model players you have trouble with now?

If so then we can look at the files Fab was making with the older versions of Fab and maybe that's the key here.You can also reread the thread and contact the person who took out files to make it work find out what he left to make it work and do the same.
                Last edited by glenns; 03-21-2013, 10:51 PM.

Comment

DJMRS:I already told you where the version 9 iso maker is.

Please open fab blu ray copy then hit the burn tab this option will make (BURN) a Iso to your hard drive or to the disk in your drive depending what the output is set for.

Comment

Working...
                  X