Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Copying & Ripping

Good morning,

As the title shows I am new to all of this and have been reading around the forums before posting any questions.

Firstly, I have been testing the software and using virtual drive etc. to play around however stumble across some blocks.

1. If I am wanting to make an exact copy of a BLURAY 3D that I have bought, I assume I use BLURAY Copy? Make the ISO then use virtual drive to then burn?

2. When using the above method obviously most BLURAY 3D come with the 2D version so will this automatically be burned to the new disc aswell?

3. Recommendations for discs? I have looked at the Taiyo Yuden discs which look very sturdy however, very pricey....any help please?

4. What is the difference between Copying, ripping, cloning? Am not sure when to use each method and for what circumstances?

5. I downloaded trial version of virtual drive, clicked on my desktop icon and nothing happened however I did get a BD- ROM show as the virtual drive in my computer......how do I upload an image to that?

6. Would you all recommended to compress to a 25GB disc rather than a 50GB disc , or is there not much of a difference?

That's all my questions for now however would appreciate any other help and advice.

Make a 3d clone iso with fab blu ray copy.Then Make sure you have Fab burning engine in Fabs settings for burning blu rays there's settings for burn engine for dvds and for blurays so you can burn 3d disks with it.

The virtual drive is always free (no trial) and is used when viewing iso's 2d or 3d on software blu ray players.right click on a movie on your hard drive then load it into virtual drive.

With it you can view iso's on the computer and to load a 3d movie in so you can rip it using 3d ripper to rip to another format that's what ripper does.You can view 3d disks in 2d with a software player on your computer.You can even use Fab preview a built in mini software player to play the 3d disk in 2d on the computer.

The 50 gig full 3d can be reduced in size to 25 gigs and still look great and you save in blank disks as 50 gig disks are expensive.

Here's a guide to help you print it out so you will have it.

How to make a 3d disk.

First make sure Fab burning engine is selected in Fabs software settings.
    Download vitural drive from fabs front page http://www.dvdfab.com/mlink/download.php?g=VIRTUALDRIVE

Second-Take store brought 3d blu-ray make sure its clean no fingerprints,dust dirt or scratches this is a important step so clean disk even if it looks clean.

Third-Put store brought disk in burner and clone disk to hard drive using blu-ray copy select clone or burn in version 9.This makes a 50 gig exact copy minus the copy protection and is put in Fabs folder named clone.

Forth-Take this file and load in virtual drive and select Blu-ray copy You can make a 50 or a 25 gig full disk,main movie full 3d or side by side (Data file in 3d).The full disk includes everything on disk, the main movie is just the main movie both can be made in full 3d meaning 1080p in each eye the same as the store brought disk is.

The side by side is not a blu-ray but 1080 in one eye with the other eye less resolution.They can be put on blu-ray disks(25 gigs) or compressed and put on single or 2 layer regular dvds at 1080p or less resolutions.

Advantage is you don't need a 3d blu-ray player to play a side by side movie just need a 3d tv or 3d monitor and a regular blu ray player for 25 gig disks or if compressing to less than 25 gig with blu-ray main movie then a regular dvd player can play side by side 3d if it supports the format.Newer one's may.

I think all blu-ray players will support side by side.Your 3d tv must also support side by side most do..If you make just the main movie you can compress side by side to any size disk or any resolution.The 3d effects are the same.They also look great even compressed to 8.5 gig 2 layer disks on a large screen tv.Your pushing it on 4.5 gig regular dvd's but it can be done it is highly compressed maybe kids won't know the difference.

Now at the bottom of the page there's a small box that says 50 gig that's the default setting and is a drop down box when clicked here you select 25 gigs if you want a 25 gig disk.This is for full disk full 3d.Hit start and several hours later fab makes and burns a 3d movie for you.

For main movie full 3d you select this first in blu-ray copy then you can take out sound tracks you don't want and choice which subtitles you want to copy or don't select any if you don't want any then check the 25 gig box on the bottom of page and hit next it brings you to the 3d page their 3d is already selected for you this will make a full 3d disk.Just make sure that little box at the bottom of the page that 25 gig is selected if not you get a 50 gig copy uncompressed.If you want a side by side you select it here instead of the pre checked full 3d copy.

Now put a blank 25 gig in your burner drive fab will take it from here and compress the movie and do the burn for you if the disk is in the drive.If you don't have the disk in the drive the disk can be burned later by putting the new made 22-24 gig compressed 3d folder (that should be in full disk or main movie folders in the Fab program files)load it in virtual drive and select write data or burn in version 9 and burn the disk always make sure you do this with Fabs burning engine that gets set in software before you even make the 50 gig iso from the store brought disk or you won't get a 3d disk Fabs burning engine burns the 3d files on the disk.

Img burn can do this only if you made a 25gig iso during the compression stage so only if you made a 25 gig ISO can you use img burn to do the burn.

It's better to compress and burn in the Fab program all at once.When you start going to other programs to do the burn they may have higher burn speeds that's a bad thing burning the disk too fast Leeds to a lot of problems and reason it won't play in other players.When setting burn speed set to auto or one half disk speed to make a disk that plays well on other players.

Fabs program files is where the log files are under log, their Fab records each step of the process in case something goes wrong if so you can cut and paste the log file for the movie you just done and put it in a post so staff or user's can look at them to see if their are errors or fab bugs to be fixed it's a great help when something goes wrong.The newest made file is the last one at the bottom all files for all disks made are here unless you delete them.If using img burn to burn a 3d iso they also have a log file should something go wrong post its log file.

Their is another file called the burn log this file tells a lot about the burner you used we can check to see if your burner software is out of date or if your burn speed is set to high and other things so also include a burn log when something goes wrong with burning a 3d disk like no 3d etc.Again cut and past only the part of the file that you had trouble with the newest movie done is the top log in this case.Their dated also to make them easy to find.

Sounds hard but its like riding a bike after you get the hang of it.When done their are two copy's of the same movie in Fab folders the 50 gig iso and the 25 gig compressed movie you just made.They will still be their so you can make another copy or delete them.Their in two different folders

Comment

If you are looking for some decent discs here are a couple I've used and had no copying problems with so far.

The first ones are Verbatim's 50gb discs. This is a spindle of 50, and for the price its not a bad deal. They actually went up a few bucks since I ordered them. But even then they aren't to bad. The cool thing about this ones is that you can use an inkjet printer to print cd covers on them (of you have a printer that prints on cds)
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The second ones are Optical Quantum 50gb discs. This is a spindle of 10, so if you are just looking for a few you could go this route. Never had a problem with these either, but you cant print onto these discs. So thats one draw back. I just wrote on them with a sharpe.
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817607055

Whatever discs you end up getting, I would always burn at no speeds over 4x. Yea you may be able to burn fine with 6x or more, but I haven't had a single coaster yet at 4x. With the price of these 50gb discs, whats wasting a few more mins to burn compared to shelling out another hundred bucks for more discs?

Side note, if you want some real decent Bluray cases, you cant go wrong with these ones. I posted up some pictures on amazon if you want to take a look. I love them especially because they are doubled, so if you wanted to have the bluray + dvd, or 3d bluray + regular bluray you can.
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last thing, if you want some LEGIT bluray covers for your cases, check out www.customaniacs.org. One draw back is they charge for covers, but thats mainly because the ones you would pick from are all custom designed. It works out to about 18 cent a cover for custom art, or 12 cents a cover for regular scanned box art. But they are all high res, and any other websites you look at you wont find anything worth putting on your cases.

Comment

Thanks for this, will help massively. Please could you advise in the below?

2. When using the above method obviously most BLURAY 3D come with the 2D version so will this automatically be burned to the new disc aswell?

Also which discs which would you recommend for burning BLURAY and BLURAY 3d

Comment

Thanks for the links and information.

I assume they are all delivered directly to my email account once purchased or are they downloaded from the site?

If I was to buy the scanned high res art is this good quality as in I wouldn't notice the difference?

Comment

[QUOTE=hd0710;150112]Thanks for this, will help massively. Please could you advise in the below?

2. When using the above method obviously most BLU RAY 3D come with the 2D version so will this automatically be burned to the new disc as well?

The 3d disk has the 2d disk on it I already told you the preview player in Fab will play it in 2d so will most software players play it in 2d on the computer.

Most 3d Out board players will play most disks in 3d or 2d.Their are some disks that are 3d only they won't play in outboard players in 2d.Media players always play 3d disks in 3d or 2d even the ones that say 3d only.

Fab can extract the 3d or 2d from the 3d movie when making the copy so you can make a 2d copy from a 3d disk that will play in 2d players.

You have 30 days free trial to test Fab out why not make a few to see how they play in your equipment so you can try it and see?

If you make a side by side 3d that will play in a non 3d player the tv must do 3d.These are data files and can be put on regular blu rays or compressed to regular dvd 9 and 5 to save money.
            Last edited by glenns; 10-23-2013, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Honestly most of the 3D movies I've cloned ONLY have the 3D movie on the disc. The retail box usually comes with a 2D version as well, so you would have to burn that disc as well to get the 2D one. When I first started with DVDFAB I thought it actually would play 3D content in 2D if it was on a none 3D tv, but it does not. Kind of a bummber, but owell. Maybe a new feature in a distant release perhaps?

As far as the scans, you pretty much pay for the credits (I think its $6 for 100, $12 for 200, $20 for 400 and theres one more) and once you decide on which artwork you want, you click the download button and it downloads a zip file containing the artwork.

FYI the cases I showed you are 12mm cases, so artwork for either 11 or 12mm will work on them. People creature 14mm and 15mm artwork, but those are for the cases that hold 4 or more discs.

As far as the quality, it is usually to notch. Usually over 3-4mb's a jpg, and a very good DPI rate. The one thing is you can not just print them, you need a program to resize for an actual bluray case.

Comment

[QUOTE=theheadsn;150120]Honestly most of the 3D movies I've cloned ONLY have the 3D movie on the disc. The retail box usually comes with a 2D version as well, so you would have to burn that disc as well to get the 2D one. When I first started with DVDFAB I thought it actually would play 3D content in 2D if it was on a none 3D tv, but it does not. Kind of a bummber, but owell. Maybe a new feature in a distant release perhaps?

As I said the 2d content is already on the 3d disk here's how to make a 2d copy of a 3d disk examples for full disk and main movie in screen shots below.When making 2d disk of main movie the second page contains the page with the options to make 3d, 2d, or side by side 3d disks.

Once made 2d it will play on any 2d bluray player and 2d tv.

As far as playing 3d disks in 2d you need a 3d blu ray player some disks allow 2d playback by menu choice.Some players can do it without the 2d menu and have a choice in player options and some you can see the stream file to play.

In any case the preview box in Fab has a blu ray player that will play a 3d disk in 2d on the computer you can play it in full screen also.If the computer has hdmi outputs you can plug these into your tv or hdmi receiver to view it on your 2d tv or 3d tv.Some software players will play 3d in 3d so you need a 3d tv for that and a hdmi output from your computer to your tv or receiver then your receiver to tv by way of hdmi.
                Last edited by glenns; 07-14-2014, 09:19 AM.

Comment

When your copy as 2d, is there anyway you can basically clone the disc, but have it in 2d? Because if you can that would be awesome. I dont wanna lose any real quality if possible

Comment

You won't loose anything if you set the box on the bottom to 50 gigs output as in my screen shot in my last post.It will not compress the full disk or main movie if set this way.You can have the output burn to disk that way.Their are a few movies that will fit on a 25 gig disk uncompressed.
                    Last edited by glenns; 10-24-2013, 08:38 PM.

Comment

You won't loose anything if you set the box on the bottom to 50bd output as in my screen shot in my last post.It will not compress the full disk or main movie if set this way.You can have the output burn to disk that way.

Comment

Originally posted by theheadsn View Post
                        Last thing, if you want some LEGIT bluray covers for your cases, check out www.customaniacs.org. One draw back is they charge for covers, but thats mainly because the ones you would pick from are all custom designed. It works out to about 18 cent a cover for custom art, or 12 cents a cover for regular scanned box art. But they are all high res, and any other websites you look at you wont find anything worth putting on your cases.
                        How do you edit these and do you know what size they need to be made to?

Also, what program is used for this, Photoshop?

Would I need to edit the CD labels or just the outer cover for the bluray/dvd?

Thanks

Comment

If I am going to use blu ray copy main movie and just burn the 2d bluray to BD9 - is the quality going to still be good?

Comment

Working...
                          X