Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scanning problem in 6.2.0.5 on Windows 7(64)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scanning problem in 6.2.0.5 on Windows 7(64)

Hi,

DVDFab works fine on XP. When the disk is being scanned, there is continuous activity on the BD. On Windows 7 64-bit the application comes up, but when the scanning dialog comes up there is no activity and it just sits there. I have tried the latest beta also, and on both OSes the results are similar.

This is a big impediment to my movement towards Win 7.

Thanks,

Brian Williams (registered user).

I suggest you try the 6.2.1.8 release and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by Complication View Post
      I suggest you try the 6.2.1.8 release and report back.

Nice idea, but how? I can only find 6.2.1.6 and the problem occurs in that too. is 6.2.1.8 available somewhere?

Surely if the next beta fixes it, it must be a specific, known problem? After all, plenty of people are using DVDFab under win 7 64-bit, so it must be idiosyncratic. I was wondering if my IDE burner was confusing it. It's a pain to get it all out and disconnect it, and I really need that other burner anyway.

Thanks

Brian

Comment

DVDFab 6.2.1.8 is out (December 31, 2009)

I know we are all trained to use the latest beta, but sometimes there is a full release.

I have no information on whether your problem is fixed or not, I'm just asking you to try the obvious and then report from the "Help Us Help You" thread if no joy.

Comment

DVDFab 6.2.1.8 is out (December 31, 2009)

I know we are all trained to use the latest beta, but sometimes there is a full release.

I have no information on whether your problem is fixed or not, I'm just asking you to try the obvious and then report from the "Help Us Help You" thread if no joy.
          Many thanks for the link. I'm fairly new to this forum. I will certainly give it a go!

Thanks again

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by bwims View Post
            Many thanks for the link. I'm fairly new to this forum. I will certainly give it a go!

Thanks again

Brian
            No luck, I'm afraid. I get about 3 bursts of activity from the bluray drive than all is silence. After about 20 mins, my only hope is the power switch as even a reboot can't kill the bloody thing. I just don't get it. Why the heck doesn't even the cancel button work???

Is there any way of submitting this problem to the author?

Thanks,

Brian Williams

Comment

Same Problem

Originally posted by bwims View Post
              No luck, I'm afraid. I get about 3 bursts of activity from the bluray drive than all is silence. After about 20 mins, my only hope is the power switch as even a reboot can't kill the bloody thing. I just don't get it. Why the heck doesn't even the cancel button work???

Is there any way of submitting this problem to the author?

Thanks,

Brian Williams
              I have the same problem with Win 7 32 & DVDFab 6.2.1.8 (December 31, 2009). Previous version was no better. Little bit of activity and then nothing. I've never seen an application that is so impossible to kill - just locks up and nothing wil kill it except a reboot. I would love to buy and use this program but after 3 days trying I'm about to give up. I may try on a XP machine tonight to see if it is any better.

Comment

Originally posted by RLW View Post
                I have the same problem with Win 7 32 & DVDFab 6.2.1.8 (December 31, 2009). Previous version was no better. Little bit of activity and then nothing. I've never seen an application that is so impossible to kill - just locks up and nothing wil kill it except a reboot. I would love to buy and use this program but after 3 days trying I'm about to give up. I may try on a XP machine tonight to see if it is any better.
                I can almost guarantee that it will work on XP. May I ask whether you have more than one drive, and if the BD is first on the list or not?

Thanks,

Brian

Comment

How many drives you have and in what order is not usually a problem for DVDFab.

Maybe you both have something else in common. Some piece of optional software (virus scanner?) that is affecting the outcome.

Comment

How many drives you have and in what order is not usually a problem for DVDFab.

Maybe you both have something else in common. Some piece of optional software (virus scanner?) that is affecting the outcome.
                    Actually I have far more in my system tray in XP where it works than in Win 7 where it doesn't.

I don't have very much software on Win7 at all (MSE for viruses). It's fairly clean as I have a dual boot system with a view to migrating. This is a real holdup.

My rationale for the drives is simply that I am suspicious of the Win7 driver complexity. I was just curious. Interesting that DVDFab looks at the disk and then just sits there for two of us, yet for other users of Win 7 it's fine.

Presumably it's not related to 64-bit?

Thanks,

Brian

Comment

The most likely suspect is a poorly written driver for 64-bit Win 7 . If not the same optional software then maybe you both have a similar piece of hardware with the same poor driver. There are others on the forum using 64-bit Win 7.

How about you both post the DVDFab logs (instruction in the Help Us Help You thread) so the specific details can be seen?

Comment

The most likely suspect is a poorly written driver for 64-bit Win 7 . If not the same optional software then maybe you both have a similar piece of hardware with the same poor driver. There are others on the forum using 64-bit Win 7.

How about you both post the DVDFab logs (instruction in the Help Us Help You thread) so the specific details can be seen?
                        Hi, sorry to be so late responding.

The text below show the difference between 2 bluray disks using identical versions of DVDFab under XP and Win 7. The problem seems to be how long the software takes to access the BDROM.

Thanks for any help you can suggest.

WinXP - G.I. Joe
                        ================

DVDFab 6.2.0.5 (2009/12/17 08:39:39)

0m 38.20s: detected blu-ray
                        0m 38.20s: drive Z
                        0m 38.20s: volume label GI_JOE_EU
                        0m 39.93s: root 8CC1B99E6CB76FC2_VOLUME_SET_ID:GI_JOE_EU:GI_JOE_EU :GI_JOE_EU
                        0m 40.73s: aacs 1 bd+ 0
                        0m 42.31s: got discinfo
                        0m 42.45s: got bdmv
                        0m 42.46s: got agid
                        0m 43.53s: sent host cert chal
                        0m 43.54s: got drive cert chal
                        0m 45.28s: got drive key
                        0m 45.28s: got host key signature
                        0m 45.28s: verified drive signature
                        0m 45.28s: verified host signature
                        0m 47.18s: sent host signature and key point
                        0m 47.18s: got bus key
                        0m 47.20s: got volume id
                        0m 47.20s: got volume id mac
                        0m 47.20s: volume id is correct
                        0m 47.20s: got vid
                        0m 48.96s: got vuk
                        0m 49.01s: got unit key 7
                        1m 00.81s: got extended bdinfo

Win7 - G.I. Joe
                        ================

DVDFab 6.2.0.5 (2009/12/20 00:47:03)

0m 49.57s: detected blu-ray
                        0m 51.80s: drive Z
                        0m 51.80s: volume label GI_JOE_EU

(Waited 5 mins, gave up. Later installed 6.2.1.6 tried again and left it for a long while)

DVDFab 6.2.1.6 (2009/12/31 16:02:42)

0m 00.64s: option dvd2dvd 1 dvd2mobile 1 bluray2bluray 1 file2mobile 1 filemover 1
                        6m 39.34s: detected blu-ray
                        6m 39.41s: drive Z
                        6m 39.41s: volume label GI_JOE_EU
                        6m 40.25s: root 8CC1B99E6CB76FC2_VOLUME_SET_ID:GI_JOE_EU:GI_JOE_EU :GI_JOE_EU
                        6m 41.11s: aacs 1 bd+ 0
                        6m 43.10s: got discinfo
                        6m 43.15s: got bdmv
                        6m 43.16s: got agid
                        6m 44.23s: sent host cert chal
                        6m 44.23s: got drive cert chal
                        6m 45.96s: got drive key
                        6m 45.96s: got host key signature
                        6m 45.97s: verified drive signature
                        6m 45.97s: verified host signature
                        23m 25.99s: sent host signature and key point
                        23m 25.99s: got bus key
                        40m 06.48s: got volume id
                        40m 06.48s: got volume id mac

Gave up at this point and rebooted (the system then hung, had to power recycle)

Win7 - Braveheart
                        ==================

Tried with latest beta

DVDFab 6.2.2.0 (2010/01/15 13:53:34)

0m 02.30s: option dvd2dvd 1 dvd2mobile 1 bluray2bluray 1 file2mobile 1 filemover 1
                        5m 57.78s: detected blu-ray
                        5m 57.83s: drive Z
                        5m 57.83s: volume label BRAVEHEART_F1
                        5m 59.39s: got bdmv

Gave up at this point and rebooted (again, hung, needed a power recycle)

WinXP - Braveheart
                        ==================

Latest beta.

DVDFab 6.2.2.0 (2010/01/15 17:00:17)

0m 06.56s: option dvd2dvd 0 dvd2mobile 0 bluray2bluray 1 file2mobile 1 filemover 1
                        2m 40.21s: detected blu-ray
                        2m 42.43s: drive Y
                        2m 42.43s: volume label BRAVEHEART_F1
                        2m 42.50s: detected blu-ray
                        2m 42.50s: drive Y
                        2m 42.50s: volume label BRAVEHEART_F1
                        2m 44.09s: root 3AFD69D4BRAVEHEA:BRAVEHEART_F1:BRAVEHEART_F1:BRAVE HEART_F1
                        2m 44.42s: aacs 1 bd+ 1
                        2m 51.71s: got discinfo
                        2m 51.82s: got bdmv
                        2m 51.84s: got agid
                        2m 52.92s: sent host cert chal
                        2m 52.92s: got drive cert chal
                        2m 54.60s: got drive key
                        2m 54.60s: got host key signature
                        2m 54.60s: verified drive signature
                        2m 54.60s: verified host signature
                        2m 56.51s: sent host signature and key point
                        2m 56.51s: got bus key
                        2m 56.53s: got volume id
                        2m 56.53s: got volume id mac
                        2m 56.53s: volume id is correct
                        2m 56.53s: got vid
                        3m 03.62s: got vuk
                        3m 03.62s: got fut
                        3m 03.75s: got unit key 7
                        3m 56.45s: got extended bdinfo

Comment

If you are just migrating to Windows 7 from XP It could be a controller setting in BIOS. When I first started using Vista I had alot of trouble with my optical drives. Did some research and turns out AHCI was the problem. I had 1 sata optical and 1ide optical and my sata would never work right. Under MCP storage I had options for IDE,AHCI and RAID. AHCI is advanced hardware configuration interface and was new for VISTA and continued to Win7. I don't know the case for Win 7 but in Vista if it wasn't selected in BIOS during install you had to edit the registry and force it afterwards. I had advance warning for Win7 so did the install accordingly. Any how after I forced the AHCI driver into action all my drive problems went away. It may be worth looking into.
                          AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @3960MHz
                          4G Geil ddr2 1066 (5-5-5-15) @1120MHz
                          ASUS M3N HT Deluxe Nvidia 780a chipset
                          2 XFX 9800GT SLI driver 197.45
                          LG WH08LS20 BD drive firmware updated
                          Windows7 Professional x64

Comment

Originally posted by Johan View Post
                            If you are just migrating to Windows 7 from XP It could be a controller setting in BIOS. When I first started using Vista I had alot of trouble with my optical drives. Did some research and turns out AHCI was the problem. I had 1 sata optical and 1ide optical and my sata would never work right. Under MCP storage I had options for IDE,AHCI and RAID. AHCI is advanced hardware configuration interface and was new for VISTA and continued to Win7. I don't know the case for Win 7 but in Vista if it wasn't selected in BIOS during install you had to edit the registry and force it afterwards. I had advance warning for Win7 so did the install accordingly. Any how after I forced the AHCI driver into action all my drive problems went away. It may be worth looking into.
                            Many thanks Johan, I very much appreciate your advice!

I will try this (probably tomorrow) and see what happens.

Thanks again,

Brian

Comment

Do some research on google first lots of info there. Registry edits can seriously foul up your OS if not done correctly
                              AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @3960MHz
                              4G Geil ddr2 1066 (5-5-5-15) @1120MHz
                              ASUS M3N HT Deluxe Nvidia 780a chipset
                              2 XFX 9800GT SLI driver 197.45
                              LG WH08LS20 BD drive firmware updated
                              Windows7 Professional x64

Comment

Working...
                              X