This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem playing BluRay ISO files

I am testing the trial version of 6.2.0.5 prior to deciding whether to buy it. I have tried creating ISO files from 2 different BluRay disks (Twilight, Blade Runner final cut), all with the same result when trying to play them back, -a black screen with a few funny coloured characters on it. This version does have an options box for support of BD+, which is ticked.

What are you trying to play it with? Download and try VLC Player.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Sorry I forgot to mention what I was trying to play it with. It is actually VLC Player 1.0.3 that I'm using. I right clicked on the file and selected 'Play with VLC Player'. I left a message on their forum, and the reply was that maybe (?) it didn't support playing Blu-Ray ISOs. I've now just loaded it up with MagicISO onto a virtual drive and VLC Player is playing it fine (apart from the titles having a funny green shimmering line through them on Blade Runner, which I have heard is why DVD Fab doesn't rate as highly for quality of output as other programs). So was i being stupid, or should VLC actually be able to play an ISO directly?
      Last edited by gdaymate; 01-01-2010, 07:21 AM. Reason: More info

Comment

Originally posted by gdaymate View Post
        ...apart from the titles having a funny green shimmering line through them on Blade Runner, which I have heard is why DVD Fab doesn't rate as highly for quality of output as other programs.
        You definitely should be using a later release than 6.2.0.5 for Blu-Ray. Also, If you think DVDFab did not encode correctly then you should include the type of rip you did (BD50, BD25, BD9, BD5).

So was i being stupid, or should VLC actually be able to play an ISO directly?
        I'm sure it will eventually, but Blu-Ray ripping is rather new.

Comment

I left a message on their forum, and the reply was that maybe (?) it didn't support playing Blu-Ray ISOs. I've now just loaded it up with MagicISO onto a virtual drive and VLC Player is playing it fine (apart from the titles having a funny green shimmering line through them on Blade Runner, which I have heard is why DVD Fab doesn't rate as highly for quality of output as other programs). So was i being stupid, or should VLC actually be able to play an ISO directly?
          Unless Magiciso came out with a new version it doesn't support BD iso format/structure and neither does VLC media player (as Complication stated, maybe someday).
          VLC will playback the m2ts file but since it cannot handle Blu-ray structure, no audio or even the wrong audio may be the result.

Comment

Virutual BR

Virtual CloneDrive works great to mount Blu-Ray ISO (MDS) for preview.

Daemon Tools doesn't work reliably (knock head on wall)...I understand you have to pay for the version of d-tools that does play blu-ray correcty.

I had no luck with MagicDisk either.

Comment

Thanks for all that info. If I add what I've discovered by trial and error to what you've all added the situation now stands at:
              MagicDiskISO 2.7 (build 105) does appear to load a BR disk, however the latest version (5.5 build 276), which says it can open/extract BR files up to 10Gg size) didn't succeed.
              But when I try and play a BR ISO disk on a virtual drive with VLC as a disk it bombs.
              When I try and play a BR ISO disk on a virtual drive with VLC as a Folder it bombs on some files, and plays the others in sequential order with a gap between each (so not really usable).
              When I try and play a BR ISO disk on a virtual drive (or from HD) with VLC as a file it appears to work, though you lose the menu structure.
              So what I want is a product that plays the BR files or a BR ISO from HD, preserving the structure, so that I can check that DVDFAB has encoded it correctly, and I have a good quality backup (I don't really want to burn a copy to disk).
              So far the only product that's been mentioned is Virtual CloneDrive and the pay version of Daemon Tools, which I will have to try next. Are there any other suggestions?

Also, when I ripped The Fifth Element and played the m2ts file there was a lot of pixelation on the Columbia lady with the torch (?) and a green frizzy bar through the titles. I used standard BR-BR BD50, and re-did it with the latest version 6.2.1.8. I've only tried 2 other BR titles, and neither of these had this problem.

Comment

Did your BD drive come with playback software? You might try that.

If you search for playback issues in the Blu-Ray forums then you can find were others have used various playback software.

Comment

Yes it came with HP Quickplay 3.6, but i can't get it to play Blu-Rays, and the update button seems to do nothing. So I'll do a search for other software, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X