Which Hardware do I need to run this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Hardware do I need to run this?

I posted this in the general section of the forum and no one answered over the weekend so I'm hoping to get help here.....

I was referred to this forum by a friend and I've since joined and been doing some reading.
    I have a nice action Blu-Ray collection and interested in backing them up.

If I've read correctly, I need to purchase the DVDFab Blu-Ray Copy from here.

I also need to purchase an external Blu-Ray Burner and Media.

I have a 2 year old Sony Vaio Laptop that I assume I can connect the burner to thru USB to get the job done.

What is the best and easiest brand of Blu-Ray burner to buy?

What is the best compatible media to buy with it? I've seen on various posts that the brand and type of BD-R makes a difference with the burner.

Any feedback and advice would be appreciated! I look forward to buy THIS software and getting started.

Thanks,
    Kathy

You're right about the software, but the question of an external drive and media is so subjective most will not get into it. If 10 people respond you'll get 10 different answers. My advice is research and read reviews by users and stay with a name brand with good support on the drive.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
      You're right about the software, but the question of an external drive and media is so subjective most will not get into it. If 10 people respond you'll get 10 different answers. My advice is research and read reviews by users and stay with a name brand with good support on the drive.
      Nice to see someone else on here from SE MO.

Does it matter which BD-R's I buy to go along with my burner I buy?

I'm looking at this one right now.

I didn't know if I needed a certain kind of BD-R to make an exact clone?

Kathy

Comment

I don't burn BR, I have a media player so I don't need blanks or worry about Cinavia protection. If I did I would likely go with Verbatim HTL 50GB blanks for cloning.
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Go to the drives manufacturers. web sight to see what brands of disks work well with it some tell you the tested brands of blank disks.Commercial DVD or Blu-ray movie titles won’t be played with some drives including the one in your post but Fab backups will because the copy protection is removed.Just saying you can't play a disk unless fab opens it for you or your using a fab backup.I hope I don't confuse you Fab will take care of everything ok.

You could use it with a computer with pass key or fab copy or ripper programs but plugged directly into a media player no as the copy protection on the disk prevents it from playing unless it's a Fab back up that removes all the copy protection for you.You didn't say what your going to play the disks on after you make them so I just wanted to tell this.

If you turn your 50 gig blu ray disks to 25 gigs your going to need a powerful laptop and large hard drive and if like my 2 core computer even with cuda it can take many hours to do it just so you know.If your going to use expensive 2 layer 50 gig blu rays make sure your burner can burn them their easy and much faster to make as you don't have to trancode the disk just copy it.
          Last edited by glenns; 11-25-2013, 10:26 PM.

Comment

I use different brands of BD's.In a way they all do the job.However in order to clone you NEED a 50gb disc not a 25gb one.Reason..full movie and all the other perks on it are more than 25 gb's.Mostly around 35-45 gb's.Use 25 gb's discs for "Movie only".The burner you looked at should be ok.PS.All burners will work with all different brands of discs.On a Blu ray burner you can also use DVD's...any DVD's.Hope that helps.
            Last edited by BERT; 11-25-2013, 10:40 PM.

Comment

"All burners will work with all different brands of discs" (quote)
              No this is not true many cheaper brands don't work with many burners that's why some burner internet sights tell you what disks work and are tested to work with their drives.

Comment

Originally posted by glenns View Post
                Go to the drives manufacturers. web sight to see what brands of disks work well with it some tell you the tested brands of blank disks.Commercial DVD or Blu-ray movie titles won’t be played with some drives including the one in your post but Fab backups will because the copy protection is removed.Just saying you can't play a disk unless fab opens it for you or your using a fab backup.I hope I don't confuse you Fab will take care of everything ok.

You could use it with a computer with pass key or fab copy or ripper programs but plugged directly into a media player no as the copy protection on the disk prevents it from playing unless it's a Fab back up that removes all the copy protection for you. You didn't say what your going to play the disks on after you make them so I just wanted to tell this.
                If you turn your 50 gig blu ray disks to 25 gigs your going to need a powerful laptop and large hard drive and if like my 2 core computer even with cuda it can take many hours to do it just so you know.If your going to use expensive 2 layer 50 gig blu rays make sure your burner can burn them their easy and much faster to make as you don't have to trancode the disk just copy it.
                Regarding the 1st quote, no, you didn't confuse me. I saw that in the Amazon Rating Reviews of the product where a few others posted that. I only want to use that Samsung Burner to make a 1:1 clone of BR movies not to watch any actual movies using it. My laptop has a built in BR Player so I can check it on there.

I want to play my finished clone on either/both of my Samsung Blu_Ray Players that we use in our living room to watch all of our DVD's and BR Movies.

Comment

Originally posted by BERT View Post
                  I use different brands of BD's.In a way they all do the job.However in order to clone you NEED a 50gb disc not a 25gb one.Reason..full movie and all the other perks on it are more than 25 gb's.Mostly around 35-45 gb's.Use 25 gb's discs for "Movie only".The burner you looked at should be ok.PS.All burners will work with all different brands of discs.On a Blu ray burner you can also use DVD's...any DVD's.Hope that helps.
                  That, I did not know. I didn't realize BR's were that large. I figured around 20-to under 25ish.

Thank you for that wake up, so I need to order the spindle of 25 of the 50gb size.

Comment

Working...
                  X