Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to convert a BluRay from European format to North American?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to convert a BluRay from European format to North American?

I have an image of the BluRay on my computer, it's now region free (original media is Region B and my player isn't region free). I thought it should be uncomplicated to convert as BluRay shouldn't (to my knowledge) be "PAL" or "NTSC" - those are holdovers from analog broadcasts and DVD. Problem seems to be frame rate and the fact that some of the material may be encoded as standard definition.

So my question is - can I use Blu-Ray copy to convert frame rate etc? The disc will play, I can hear audio but the majority of the video is blank/blue screen.

Dave

No, DVDFab is unable to convert framerates. You would need a much more comprehensive video encoding program for that type of task. I once accomplished this with a PAL region of the HBO special of Rasputin on DVD. However, I used the robust TMPGEnc Plus program which was awesome once upon a time for DVD movies.

Comment

Converter has adjustable frame rates maybe give it a try.

Comment

Yeah unfortunately looking at the specs for Converter it doesn't support BluRay.

Comment

Originally posted by dfemia01 View Post
          I have an image of the BluRay on my computer, it's now region free (original media is Region B and my player isn't region free). I thought it should be uncomplicated to convert as BluRay shouldn't (to my knowledge) be "PAL" or "NTSC" - those are holdovers from analog broadcasts and DVD. Problem seems to be frame rate and the fact that some of the material may be encoded as standard definition.
          You are right in that Blu-rays are neither PAL or NTSC. Technically DVDs aren't either. The players, OTOH, output the analog as NTSC or PAL and require 480i or 576i respectively as the source. There are exceptions, as there are DVD players that will handle either as input and you can set the output as NTSC or PAL and it will transcribe as necessary. On a Blu-ray release, any old SD material is upconverted to 1080, but keeps the framerate (normally).

The disc will play, I can hear audio but the majority of the video is blank/blue screen
          This tells me that the Blu-ray player can handle, i.e., play all the viable Blu-ray frame rate standards. Your monitor, OTOH, cannot handle 1080i25 as input. The cure for that is to get a new TV/monitor that will handle all of the possible Blu-ray formats. While looking into a larger TV/monitor, I discovered that a lot of manufacturers do not include the information in the specs and/or in the manual, making it tough to determine if it will display 25 fps material.

Another program that should be able to do what you want is ffmpeg. If you do use a program to transcode the framerate, do not convert to 29.97 fps, convert to exactly 30 fps, otherwise you will have to change the audio as well.

Comment

Working...
          X