Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bluray backups won't play on certain players for some reason.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluray backups won't play on certain players for some reason.

This is just a general question. I've made Full disc backups of my bluray movies compressed to BD25 and have been playing them on my standalone LG bluray player just fine. I leant 2 of my movies to a friend of mine and he can't play them at all for some reason. He has a Samsung bluray player and he also tried it on his PS3 and Xbox 1 with no success. The movies I'm talking about are, Blended and Need for Speed. Neither of which have Cinevia protection on them. Is it like this for all bluray players or just certain ones? Your input is always greatly appreciated.
    Keep smiling.

I personally think certain blu-ray players are finicky with certain media and this includes certain burn speeds that are generally higher. Some players are more sensitive and may not be able to read certain media brands or higher burn speeds. This is just my experience. I have no idea about your particular standalone player.

Comment

I use Verbatim media and only burn at 2X speed. It is weird really considering the fact that DVDs play with no problems at all on any player. So I agree with you on the statement you made about some stand alone players being finicky. I just wish there was a way to fix that problem.
      Keep smiling.

Comment

It is my understanding that Xbox will not play writable BR discs I don't know about the others?
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm not sure about the Xbox but for other stand alone players they seem to have a problem as well with playback.
          Keep smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by babyboy View Post
            This is just a general question. I've made Full disc backups of my bluray movies compressed to BD25 and have been playing them on my standalone LG bluray player just fine. I leant 2 of my movies to a friend of mine and he can't play them at all for some reason. He has a Samsung bluray player and he also tried it on his PS3 and Xbox 1 with no success. The movies I'm talking about are, Blended and Need for Speed. Neither of which have Cinevia protection on them. Is it like this for all bluray players or just certain ones? Your input is always greatly appreciated.
            I used to have a brand new Samsung bluray player month ago and it would not play any movies "copied" on a 50 GB disc. So what I did was I took the disc to a shop selling players and asked them to play it on a player I was going to buy.That way I was safe not to buy another lemon. So yes ,this problem does exist in some players.
            Last edited by BERT; 09-16-2014, 01:00 AM.

Comment

I just burned a DVD5 +R in BR format and it played fine in the PS3.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
                I just burned a DVD5 +R in BR format and it played fine in the PS3.
                I believe that but I'm discussing just the compression from BD50 to BD25 full disc copy. I just wish there was a fix that would allow this type of backup to play on any stand alone player.
                Keep smiling.

Comment

I was just checking the burned writable disc firmware thing like Microsoft uses on the xbox, obviously not present on the PS3.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Ya the PS3's are a real bugger.
                    Keep smiling.

Comment

I was considering buying another Blu-ray player like the Samsung to match my TV but knowing what I know now I have this dilemma now not knowing what type of Blu-ray player to buy because I won't know if it will accept the backup copies.
                      Keep smiling.

Comment

Are those movies that are not playing FOX-Movies ?
                        There was this problem with Fab that ripped BD from FOX are not playing on some BD-players!

I'm not sure if this was fixed... , but i had this issue with some of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by babyboy View Post
                          I was considering buying another Blu-ray player like the Samsung to match my TV but knowing what I know now I have this dilemma now not knowing what type of Blu-ray player to buy because I won't know if it will accept the backup copies.
                          You have not read my comment....Take the copied disc to the shop you want to buy a player and ask them to play it in whatever player you would like.It only takes couple of minutes and you will know if it works or not.Simple really.

Comment

I have the Samsung BD-C6500 (first one purchased) and now the Samusng BD-H5900.

The BD-C6500 plays both 25 GB and 50 GB media, noname brand BD-R. It does have trouble every now and then with 50 GB, but never 25 GB media. If the 50 GB playback starts to have issues, which will normally end up with the playback freezing, I eject the media and then start over and go to the point in time where it was having issues and ti normally plays just fine.

For the newer player I just played a 50 GB disc. I had to leave, so I just let it play and checked after I got back. It finished playing the disc and was at the next menu selection. So, AFAIK, it never had an issue, or if it did, it wasn't sever enough to cause it to halt/freeze.

I normally only do 25 GB backups, as the 50 GB is a lot more expensive.

So, it is wrong to say that Samsung has issues with BD-R when that has really not been my overall experience. Sure, as mentioned above it can happen, but it isn't crippling.

BTW, I use ImgBurn at X6 and do not have issues.
                            Last edited by MrVideo; 09-18-2014, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BERT View Post
                              You have not read my comment....Take the copied disc to the shop you want to buy a player and ask them to play it in whatever player you would like.It only takes couple of minutes and you will know if it works or not.Simple really.
                              Please don't hate me for saying this but I'm uncomfortable with the idea of bringing a back up copy to a store because after all it is illegal and I just don't want any trouble.
                              Keep smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X