This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting Blu-Ray to DVDs

I think this is a great IDEA: splits and burns a Blu-Ray movie to multiple DVDs.

Then I thought: I was thinking some more about this and the splits could be 5 - 6 DVDs or even more depending on the size of the movie itself? Maybe this is not a good idea after all? I'm not sure how much memory is used on a Bluray 'movie' on the disc itself, but I do know that a lot of the memory is used for other features.

I only bought the "DVD to DVD" copying/burning software but I would consider buying the "Blu-Ray to Blu-Ray" (to DVD??) copying/burning software if this could be done??

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    geh

Why when you can do BD5? That's a lot of waste of time and resources.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
    There is no fool like an old fool.

Comment

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but remember that DVD players only know how to play DVD quality. This means that you can generally fit a BluRay disc onto a single DVD disc (depending on the nature of the extras that can be transferred) but you'll be at a lower resolution. Getting BluRay quality on a DVD would be more like a BluRay to Mobile thing, storing them in a file format other than the standard DVD format (at which point you may as well put them onto a USB hard drive and save yourself the trouble of swapping discs).

Comment

I canot see the point either.

With the advent of media players such as the WDTV, rip it to a USB drive and play it anywhere.

If I were the developers, I would put NIL effort into such a process.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

With so many cheap DVD players around the house and in the car, I can see this being a common request. It would especially be useful to families with small children. You want to buy the best, which is Blu-Ray, but you don't want your kids to destroy it.

Comment

Why not at a Blu-Ray to Mobile option I would enjoy the fact that I could put my Blu-Ray movies on my NAS. Im sure I'm not the only one out there.

Comment

That feature is already on the drawing board, as far as I know.
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Most of those "CHEAP" players will play DivX/XVid files and quite a lot from a USB device. At least most sold here in Oz will.

Why duplicate the effort? Just do it once... DVD to Mobile.

Originally posted by Complication View Post
                With so many cheap DVD players around the house and in the car, I can see this being a common request. It would especially be useful to families with small children. You want to buy the best, which is Blu-Ray, but you don't want your kids to destroy it.

Comment

Originally posted by jdbower View Post
                  I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but remember that DVD players only know how to play DVD quality. This means that you can generally fit a BluRay disc onto a single DVD disc (depending on the nature of the extras that can be transferred) but you'll be at a lower resolution. Getting BluRay quality on a DVD would be more like a BluRay to Mobile thing, storing them in a file format other than the standard DVD format (at which point you may as well put them onto a USB hard drive and save yourself the trouble of swapping discs).
                  Thanks for all of your replies - jdbower makes a very good point which I think it changes my mind on this concept.

Thanks again,
                  geh

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                    Most of those "CHEAP" players will play DivX/XVid files and quite a lot from a USB device. At least most sold here in Oz will.

Why duplicate the effort? Just do it once... DVD to Mobile.
                    You are thinking of many stand-alone players. I'm also referring to mobile and car players that usually do not have DIVX/XVID (at least in the states). I think they leave them out so they don't have to pay royalties.

Comment

Working...
                    X