This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movie with single large m2ts file......

I have run across two movies now that have single large m2ts files (30gig or more) (Star Trek 2009 and Transformers ROTF) I am a little confused as to what people do with these for burning onto 25gig bd-r's.

I do not mind skipping out on the HD-audio but I REALLY REALLY do not like compressing video. I ponied out the $$ for the bluray player and 1080p hdtv. I'd prefer to keep the video quality the best I can.

What are my options, if any? I am not 100% certain on the features DVDFab bluray to bluray has available. Does it compress video to fit on the bluray if needed? If so what quality can I expect in the finished product?

Should I just rip to my NAS and stream from there or store for when DL BD-r's are cheaper than buying a second copy of my movies?

Originally posted by Lunarpancake View Post
    Should I just rip to my NAS and stream from there or store for when DL BD-r's are cheaper than buying a second copy of my movies?
    You might have playback issues when directly playing the .m2ts file. (or it might play just fine)

But, you can always store it for later date when the BD50's become cheaper.

Personally, I would just compress to BD25...I would put money that you would never notice the difference between 30gb vs 24gb. (remove HD audio for even less compression)

...now if you compressed down to BD5 or BD9, maybe...

Comment

I have over 500 gig of slave hard drive space on my pc, and ~1 tb free of raid0 space on the NAS to store the uncompressed rips onto.

I think ill do what you say. I will rip and compress movies I NEED now and keep the uncompressed rips on the NAS for future when DL discs are under $8 each. ($8.40 seems to be the cheapest I can find a BD-r DL 50 printable disc for)

Now an added question, can I compress my already ripped uncompressed movie or should I re-rip and compress at that time?

Comment

Yes you can compress the file you have already ripped to your hard drive. Use it as the source and select your media. I personally rip to hard drive first uncompressed then compress to disk to save wear on my bluray burner.
        AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @3960MHz
        4G Geil ddr2 1066 (5-5-5-15) @1120MHz
        ASUS M3N HT Deluxe Nvidia 780a chipset
        2 XFX 9800GT SLI driver 197.45
        LG WH08LS20 BD drive firmware updated
        Windows7 Professional x64

Comment

I usually rip Main Movie only to the hard drive uncompressed.

Then I compress that file into a BD25 and make a back up copy disc.

Then I take the original uncompressed copy and convert into a .mkv usually around 10-15gb for streaming use on my hard drive. You really cannot tell any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Johan View Post
            Yes you can compress the file you have already ripped to your hard drive. Use it as the source and select your media. I personally rip to hard drive first uncompressed then compress to disk to save wear on my bluray burner.
            How is that saving wear on your burner? You still are ripping from one disc and burning onto a bluray eventually.

Comment

Because the rip without compression takes far less time.
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                Because the rip without compression takes far less time.
                gotcha that makes sense....thanks

Comment

You guys saving as .m2ts? Then ripping with which software to BD25 ?

Comment

Originally posted by EricLThomp View Post
                    You guys saving as .m2ts? Then ripping with which software to BD25 ?
                    DVDFab of course!

You can compress the main movie BD50 into a BD25.

Takes a while though.

Comment

Working...
                    X