This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing HD Option.. Yes/no

Looking to see if someone could shed some light on this option..

I switched from DVD to Blu-ray for 2 reasons, the video quality, and the audio quality, then I see this option and wonder why would people use it..

I've seen some other threads and people talk about doing it to reduce compression etc.

Could someone provide any facts available, and their opinion on the HD audio and removing it? I most certainly don't want to lose the 5.1 SS.

Thanks

well i could reply by saying why are you buying blu ray when you want to compress it ?

afterall as you said blu ray is for better video and audio quality ?

compressing it means you are reducing the quality

Comment

Unless your equipment can make use of HD audio it doesn't affect the experience, since it somehow must be stripped down do DD 5.1 or DTS anyhow. If you connect the audio via common optical or coax you can't make use HD audio.

So, removing HD audio convert the audio to DD 5.1 or DTS. This saves a certain amount of space, and depending on your equipment have some or none impact.

Comment

Right this moment I can't stream my HD content to a far room (bedroom) in my home (can't do it via wireless, and until I route a cat6 cable through the walls, I'm not willing to have the cable across the wall/floors.

Once dump a movie from disc to ISO it goes into storage.. I can remember buying Terminator 2 four times back in the day because of "wear and tear" (admitting that some people aren't the most careful with discs in my home).

So I generally keep a copy on my NAS, and keep a copy on blu-ray (real disc = storage, ISO on back up drive, playable file on NAS for the "entertainment room" and disc copy in the bedroom). I'm sure you really enjoyed my life story..

The equipment I use..
        PS3 with passing the audio through as PCM via HDMI to my Surround Sound box: Pioneer VSX-1019 AH (says it has the ability to play TrueHD).

Two questions.
        Can anyone tell me what the difference would be with leaving the HD audio in, and removing it?
        For my equipment, what is the best route to go?

Comment

Audio

I think it is a personal choice. here is a link that might help you decide.http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1064
          Last edited by docgoo1; 01-14-2010, 11:15 PM.
          Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
          There is no fool like an old fool.

Comment

I only keep the HD audio if it will fit with main movie only on a BD25. If not, I remove HD audio so there is less compression of the video.

The "core" dolby digital or Dts stream is from a pristine lossless master audio track so it is still pretty dam good. Much better than you will find on standard dvd version.

So its worth the removal in some cases. My opinion.

Comment

Working...
            X