Long time to compress to 25GB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long time to compress to 25GB

I've been using FAB for a long time with mostly good experiences. Lately I haven't been backing up very many movies and recently I upgraded my OS to Windows 10. I usually back up MAIN feature only onto a 25GB disk. My last 2 movies took over 10 hours each to compress - I've never had this before. I'm talking about compressing from about 29GB more or less. No problem with CLONE or FULL DISK - only when compression is involved. I have a 3.1GHz Quad Core Processor with 8GB RAM and I'm using a GeForce GTX 460 SE graphics card. I don't know if it's a Windows 10 thing or maybe something as simple as my FAB settings for the hardware I'm using. Perhaps someone could suggest the settings I should use or have any other ideas why this is happening.

I assume your using CUDA since you don't say anything about your current settings. If you are be sure to check lighting-shrink.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

I was under the impression that the CUDA technology was the fastest. I have attached an image of that screen settings but even if I use the lightning-recording settings (from 10 hours to compress) the 40% reduction still leaves it with 6 hours, way too long when I was getting less the 2 hours before. I regularly update my graphics driver and now I'm wondering if I should go back to an earlier version? My current GeForce driver is v 355.6.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by jimp124; 12-08-2015, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Set H.264 to CUDA also if you can. And check lighting shrink too.
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Found the problem, it's Windows 10. Using Windows 7 ON THE SAME COMPUTER WITH THE SAME DRIVERS AND THE SAME SETTINGS, it compresses the movie Furious 7 in less than 1 hour while it was going to take over 10 hours with the Win 10 installation. I don't understand why, perhaps Win 10 sees drivers/hardware differently. Thanks for your suggestions with the settings.

Comment

Windows 10

I can't understand why using FAB with Win 10 x64 takes so much longer than when using Win 7 x64 for compressing. All the settings in FAB are the same using the same computer in a dual boot configuration. I'm talking about a serious huge difference. Ten hours or more to compress using Win 10 vs. 52 minutes for the exact same movie using Win 7. Same graphics card driver version for both installations. This problem does not exist if I use Clone or Full Disk, only when compression is involved, and the analyzing portion alone during the compression stage takes nearly 5 minutes. For now, when I need to back up my movies I have to boot to Win 7 but it just seems like I shouldn't have to do that. Does anybody have any ideas here about why this is happening?

Comment

Working...
            X