This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CUDA GPU Acceleration

I'm finding something strange when reencoding video. Right now I'm compressing Hurt Locker to a BDDVD9 it's working a 8MB/s and will tale app. an hour and fifteen minutes. I initially started re-encoding this title which is app, 34 gig to a BD25. I noticed that the reencode rate was only 4MB/s so I cancelled it. I knew that when I did a DVD9 the rate was twice as fast. So I had to try with Hurt Locker to see if maybe it was because of the movie itself but no I had 8MB/s. Both times DVDFab reported GPU acceleration enabled. I'm stumped.

34 Gig to BDDVD9 = 8MB/S
    34 Gig to BD25 = 4MB/s ???????????

ANY IDEAS OUT THERE?
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @3960MHz
    4G Geil ddr2 1066 (5-5-5-15) @1120MHz
    ASUS M3N HT Deluxe Nvidia 780a chipset
    2 XFX 9800GT SLI driver 197.45
    LG WH08LS20 BD drive firmware updated
    Windows7 Professional x64

I've noticed this also in earlier versions but not tested the last few betas. Makes me think the BD25 compression feature can be 'tweaked' to work a little faster.

Comment

Patience. GPU acceleration is alpha software in DvdFab.

Comment

I'm still using ver. 6.2.1.8 since I havn't had any issues with it. I'll install 6.2.2.0 when I'm done work and see if there is any change. Is the file structure still the same on BD25 with just an increased bitrate?

Comment

I would like to know when GPU acceleration is activated and when it is not. When I compressed Forrest Gump and Shorts it was activated, but when I tried to compress A Knight's Tale it was not.

Comment

OK I installed 6.2.2.0 no change in processing speed tried switching to DXVA no change tried turning GPU acceleration off still 4MB/s it seem GPU acceleration doesn't even kick in when compressing to BD25.

Comment

Just FYI here is the specs from DVDFab
              Graphics Chipset :
              NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

Supported Video Codecs :
              CUDA_MODE_H264
              CUDA_MODE_VC1
              DXVA_MODE_H264

Comment

I do all of my compressing to BD9 in order to fit the file on a DVD DL. You'd think GPU acceleration would always be activated for this, but sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. Don't know why.

tld

Comment

It's greyed out for my dual sli'd geforce 800GTX's.

Comment

I do have a syack of 15 BD-Rs but save them for really really good movies I'll keep using the DVD9 they're alot cheaper and take a third of the time to process

Comment

It just does not work yet. Can't recognize my GeForce 8800GTX CUDA card. If it does recognize your card DvdFab is not getting the performance increase of other GPU acceleration applications. I am sure the guys will figure it out with a little research at nVidia and ATI.

Comment

Originally posted by Johan View Post
                        I do have a syack of 15 BD-Rs but save them for really really good movies I'll keep using the DVD9 they're alot cheaper and take a third of the time to process
                        We think the opposite way, I have a stash of dual layer 50GB BD-R's that I save for that special burn.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Joe View Post
                          We think the opposite way, I have a stash of dual layer 50GB BD-R's that I save for that special burn.
                          I just haven't been able to pony up that kinda cash. I wouldn,t say I'm cheap just thrifty. I've been using Memorex media for years because it's cheap. I know how some people feel about Ritek a.k.a. Memorex but paired with my LG burners I don't get coasters and as far as longevity I have several DVD's that are 5 yrs plus such as The Army of Darkness that I still watch a couple times a year no playback issues at all.

Comment

I have done a little research and I think I may have found out why there is such a difference in in compression speed. Now anyone can correct me if I am wrong cause I am still trying to wrap my head around this. Video encoding is not my specialty.

If I understand things correctly the powers that be have established a standard for Bluray movies and hardware. All Bluray discs shall include VC1 format, MPEG-4(H.264/AVCHD) and MPEG-2 part 2(H.262).
                            When compressing to BDDVD9 only the AVCHD stream is re-encoded which my GPU's support. Bluray format on DVD's is not supported by Bluray players. So these are more like HDDVDs.
                            When compressing to BD25 all Bluray content is compressed to the disc.
                            .m2ts stands for MPEG-2 transport stream. MPEG-2(H.262) is not supported by my video cards therefore GPU acceleration only works with the other streams.
                            Like I said I may be way off here but this makes sense to me.
                            I'm fairly certain that MPEG 2 encoding is possible with my cards so this may be something for the Developers to add to DVDFab compression

Comment

Originally posted by Johan View Post
                              I just haven't been able to pony up that kinda cash. I wouldn,t say I'm cheap just thrifty. I've been using Memorex media for years because it's cheap. I know how some people feel about Ritek a.k.a. Memorex but paired with my LG burners I don't get coasters and as far as longevity I have several DVD's that are 5 yrs plus such as The Army of Darkness that I still watch a couple times a year no playback issues at all.
                              I bought 10 dual layer TDK's from a Japan seller on ebay. I think I paid $70 for 10. Still expensive, but I was chomping at the bit to see if how my new burner fared with dual layer disks. They got to here quick too, about a week.

Comment

Working...
                              X