Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Layer Break

Hi,

DVD Copy (Clone) maintains the Layer Break on DVD DL Clones and always has. Blu-ray Copy (Clone), for some reason does not. I only buy Premium BD-R DL Discs (and they are not cheap), but I must have gotten a bad batch and a lot of the movies freeze at the Layer Break. After looking at the Original BD-ROM DL Discs, it didn't take long to figure out that the original Layer Break is not maintained and the Movies are Writing all the way to the Rim of the BD-R DL Discs.

Is there any way that we can get maintain Layer Break enforced, added to the Blu-ray Copy (Clone)? It was a "Feature" for DVD DL Clones and it saved a lot of money and time. Bad BD-R DL Clones cost even more money and time, so if you liked it with DVD DL Clones, you'll really like it with Blu-ray Clones!

Thanks...

I have had the same issue. I use verbatim BD-R DLs and backup-ed up several movies and noticed they all freeze at the layer break. One way around this was to burn at the slowest rate my burner can for this disk (which was 2x) and it seemed to cure the issue for most (but not all) backups. But the ones burned at the higher speed (8x) all freeze at the layer break when played on my standalone player, but NOT when player back on my PC using the BD-R reader/writer. But I agree, having the ability to split the layers evenly would prevent most BD-R DLs from burning to the edge since very few use the full 50 GB. But perhaps this seems like a burning software issue, rather than a BD Copy issue. I use IMGBurn to burn all my discs and even though there are options within IMGBurn for setting the layer break for DVD DLs, there are not for BD-Rs (or at least none that I have found).

Comment

As far as I know, there is no need to set layer break for BD-R DL.
      DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
      http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

I have the same problem, Blu-ray DL Clones layer break stuttering or even freezing, on BD-RE DL discs.
        In the past Clones worked fine, but somewhen the problems begun. First I thought it was the disc(s), or the drive(s), but now I'm sure there's an issue with the Clone mode.

Comment

There is a way to set a custom size for layer0 and the full disc capacity in Imgburn when using the Write Files to Disc option. It is under the Advanced>Media tab. Not sure if setting these to a slightly smaller size would prevent the disc from being burned all the way to the edge and perhaps eliminating the freeze at the layer break. ( I am assuming you would reduce the total disc capacity by the twice the amount that you reduce layer 0 size to ensure equal capacity on both layers and maybe preventing writing either layer at the very edge). Will try this next time I have the occasion to burn a BD-R DL.

Comment

Hi,

My problem started happening when verbatim BD-R DL Discs went south on me, but we're drifting from the original question. It's kind of technical, but every DL Disc has a Layer Break. If the Layer Break of the Original Disc isn't enforced on a "Clone," then, I guess that the "Copy" really isn't a "Clone" then, is it, and, the Layer Break will therefore, occur at the Rim of the Disc where Bad Blocks often lerk.

DVDFab, DVD Clone maintains the Layer Break of the Original DVD-ROM on DVD DL Clones and always has, while Blu-ray Clone, for some reason does not for BD-ROMs, but instead does a Copy to the RIM of the BD-R DL Disk where the Layer Break happens.

Back in the DVD DL days, I always did a Clone for that reason and almost never got a Coaster. Now I'm getting BD-R DL Coasters because the Original BD-ROM Layer Break is not Enforced on a Blu-ray Clone.

So, I'm just asking if we can have the same "Feature" for Blu-ray DL Clones that we have always had for DVD DL Clones with DVDFab.

Finding Tools that Display the Blu-ray Disc Layer Break location is a challenge. The Transfer rate Pane and Test of "Opti Drive Control" correctly shows where the Layer Break is for Blu-ray Discs. A bright red line down to zero Read transfer rate at the Layer Break which will be at the Rim (just over 23 GB) are bad Blocks (a good disc will show a pretty even arc for Read Transfer rate with the apex at the Layer Break). A CRC Error Check Test on the Bad Disc with "DVDInfoPro" will show Bad Blocks for the at the same location (23.3 GB at the Rim).

Comment

Working...
            X