Issues with Merge function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues with Merge function

I wanted to make a backup, movie only, of Den of Thieves (BD, US). I also wanted to add an almost 5 minute clip of the alternate ending, so I decided to try the Merge function for the first time. The source file for the main movie is 33.2 GB; the source file for the alternate ending is about 663 MB. For some reason, even though a single title, the title selection for the second selection is not automatically turned on, as it is for the first. No biggee, I turned it on manually. I was surprised to see the resulting total size estimate at only 17,733 MB, rather than the entire or even close to the 23,098 MB available. I went ahead and let the process run. The resulting folder size was actually 22,279 MB, not even close to the 17,733 estimate as shown (see screen shot).

Oddly enough, if I change the output from BD25 to BD50 (without actually processing), the estimated 17,733 MB size still does not change!

When I try the whole sequence again, but this time using an already compressed source for the main movies (i.e.23,969 MB, rather than the 33.2 BG file) the estimate STILL shows at 17,733 MB, but again, the resulting total folder size is 22, 279 MB.

Also, even though the main movie was DTS HD 5.1, the Merge function converted the audio to AC-3 5.1. I could not find any option when using the Merge function to remove HD audio or to convert DTS to AC-3. It just did it on its own.

There first issue is likely a bug, but the second issue of whether or not to remove HD or to convert DTS to AC-3 or not, is an option that is simply not available. Could this be added in a future release? Like I said, this is my first time using the Merge function, so I don't know if previous releases behaved this way or not.

The attempted Merge was on the two files already ripped and decrypted from the original to my hard drive. I had not yet tried to do this directly from the original, but that should not make a difference.

Incidentally, I am using the latest version of DVDFab (10.0.9.0 x64) on the latest Windows 10 platform with hardware decoding/encoding enabled on a Nvidia GTX 1050 video card with latest driver. I also tried the above using the 32 bit version with the same results.

I have also included the internal log file in the event it is needed.

Any comments on these issues?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DVDFabScreenShot.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	353441

[ATTACH]n353442[/ATTACH]

Incidentally, just as a test, I tried to merge Crimson Tide, movie only , with the Den of Thieves alternate ending clip (again, just as a test). Crimson Tide source file is around 20 GB and audio is natively AC-3, and the other clip, as before, is 663 MB. So NO compression nor audio conversion was needed. Should have been just a simple merge/copy function to create the necessary structure. Yet, DVDFab compressed the file(s) and the resulting folder was only 17,495 MB (16.2 GB) so now I am pretty sure there is a bug! I could not find ANY settings that I could change that would effect the output. I don't think its my installation but haven't tried to completely uninstall and reinstall DVDFab, but not sure if that would make a difference. FYI, I included a screen shot (this shows the estimated output file size of 13,919 MB) as well as log file.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DVDFabScreenShot2.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	353445

[ATTACH]n353446[/ATTACH]

Comment

Hi,

It has been reported to the developers.

Regards,
      Mona

Comment

I guess this wasn't fixed in the latest release. Could you also please pass on to the developers the option to keep HD or even DTS. Right now, all audio is converted to AC-3, even if the merged resultant will fit on a disk without compression. User is not given a choice in this matter. If hope the fix comes soon as I have several projects where I want to combine two titles to one disk. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by LaciBacsi View Post
          I guess this wasn't fixed in the latest release. Could you also please pass on to the developers the option to keep HD or even DTS. Right now, all audio is converted to AC-3, even if the merged resultant will fit on a disk without compression. User is not given a choice in this matter. If hope the fix comes soon as I have several projects where I want to combine two titles to one disk. Thank you.
          I have passed your message to the product manager, thank you for your feedback.

Regards,
          Mona

Comment

Working...
          X