This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Level Increases

I am trying out DVDFab and tried both 6.2.1.8 and 6.2.2.0 and am seeing an issue with black level on the backups. I've tried both Star Trek 2009 and Transformers 2 with the movie only option and have tried converting to BD-50, BD-25, and BD-9 formats. Blacks become dark gray instead of black after processing versus the original disc.

If I use full copy to hard drive and play the main avchd file, the black level is fine. I then try to covert the hard drive file using movie only to these sizes and when I do the blacks become the same dark gray again.

The only way to correct this is to lower the brightness on my display about 9 units on a scale of 0 to 50, but then I have to go back and forth with the brightness between regular programming and playing the files. I tried playing the files with both my PC and my BD390, same result.

If I use handbrake or ripbot264 to extract and shrink the movie only from the full copy hard drive file produced by DVDFab, the black level is fine same as the original disk. I really want to get this program to work because of the speed and the one step process versus my other programs. Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Have you got GPU acceleration enabled when doing the compression?

If so, try a sample without it enabled and report back.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by bsantini View Post
      I am trying out DVDFab and tried both 6.2.1.8 and 6.2.2.0 and am seeing an issue with black level on the backups. I've tried both Star Trek 2009 and Transformers 2 with the movie only option and have tried converting to BD-50, BD-25, and BD-9 formats. Blacks become dark gray instead of black after processing versus the original disc.

If I use full copy to hard drive and play the main avchd file, the black level is fine. I then try to covert the hard drive file using movie only to these sizes and when I do the blacks become the same dark gray again.

The only way to correct this is to lower the brightness on my display about 9 units on a scale of 0 to 50, but then I have to go back and forth with the brightness between regular programming and playing the files. I tried playing the files with both my PC and my BD390, same result.

If I use handbrake or ripbot264 to extract and shrink the movie only from the full copy hard drive file produced by DVDFab, the black level is fine same as the original disk. I really want to get this program to work because of the speed and the one step process versus my other programs. Any help or pointers would be appreciated.
      I have reported this problem back in early Januaury, not a show stopper but niggling nevertheless.

Suggest you also post in Beta 6.2.2.0 forum as this is the version the luminance problem prblem commenced.

Comment

Gregiboy, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Without DVXA, black levels come out fine. So, I did some investigation and found the setting for AVIVO video dynamic range on the video card driver and set it to full 0-255. Tried again with DVXA enabled and came out fine. I'm running an i7-860 and HD5750 card. With DVXA, I can process a 2 hour movie in about 1:10 versus 1:35 without. So, thanks again!

Salusa, you may try this experiment as well. It turned out to be my settings on the catalyst control center.

Cheers.

Comment

Gregiboy, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Without DVXA, black levels come out fine. So, I did some investigation and found the setting for AVIVO video dynamic range on the video card driver and set it to full 0-255. Tried again with DVXA enabled and came out fine. I'm running an i7-860 and HD5750 card. With DVXA, I can process a 2 hour movie in about 1:10 versus 1:35 without. So, thanks again!

Salusa, you may try this experiment as well. It turned out to be my settings on the catalyst control center.

Cheers.
          Thank you bsantini & Gregiboy, Just needed to dis-engage GPU acceleration and black was back !
          Can't seem to find a 'dynamic range' to change on the AVIVO Catlalyst Control Centre, but although the process takes a couple of hours +, it works !
          Last edited by Salusa; 03-01-2010, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Look under AVIVO video, advanced color controls, dynamic range - set to full 0-255.

Comment

Look under AVIVO video, advanced color controls, dynamic range - set to full 0-255.
              Thanks , I can find AVIVO Video > advanced color but it shows 'Color vibrance' and 'Flesh tone correction' with enables and a slider... thats it, no dynamic range. Never mind.

Comment

Maybe this "dynamic range" thing is only enabled for those new HD5xxx cards??

Comment

Working...
                X