Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Green Screen on Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green Screen on Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.

I made a Movie Only backup of "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith" (2019 release purchased on Amazon) to 25 GB BD. At 00:07:02, there is about 8 frames of a green screen. I could not attach a screen shot due to DRM protection of my player. I tried various scenarios but it appears at precisely the same place. When making a movie only backup to 50 GB BD (thus no compression) there is no green screen. It is not the media because this was directly on the HDD file. I had the same problem with another copy and though it was something on the original, but getting the exact same thing with this copy. So it is reasonable to conclude that it is something in DVDFab compression. (Using latest version of DVDFab, latest version of Windows 11, and latest video drivers).

The issue shows up whether using a software player on my PC to play the file on my HDD and on a standalone player using the copied disc. I even backed up to a higher compression (as if to DVD 9) and the problem STILL shows up at the same location.

I was going to make a backup using software (CPU only) compression, but that pretty much maxes out all CPU cores and the CPU runs hot (I have AIO water cooling) and would have taken a very long time, so decided to abandon it.

I hope DVDFab can fix this. This is NOT a new release. I recall seeing similar comments about other Star Wars movies with similar problem but no solution was offered. It is not a decryption issue because it will back up fine with no compression. Since the issue appears on a 2011 release AND a 2019 release it appears to be a DVDFab issue.

I have attached a zip of all my log files. Please advise. Thank you!
    Attached Files

I will get the QA team to check if they could duplicate this free screen issue.

Comment

Thank you. Green screen, not free screen. The whole screen turns green, the bottom half being a darker shade of green. Again I cannot do a screen capture due to DRM issue. But was able to take a picture with my camera (the text is a bit fuzzy but you get the general idea). As I said, it starts at 00:07:02 and lasts for about 8 frames. Same effect whether playing from HDD in power DVD or from disc on my Sony standalone player. Thank you.
      Attached Files

Comment

Btw, I tried to make a copy on a different machine. Its an older PC running Windows 10 on an i7-3770K platform, with a Nvidia GTX 1050 video card. Same identical result, so it is not anything specific to my PC but likely the compression algorithm in DVDFab. Just wanted to pass that along. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by LaciBacsi View Post
          Btw, I tried to make a copy on a different machine. Its an older PC running Windows 10 on an i7-3770K platform, with a Nvidia GTX 1050 video card. Same identical result, so it is not anything specific to my PC but likely the compression algorithm in DVDFab. Just wanted to pass that along. Thank you.
          try what is posted in post #7 in this thread - https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...uts#post406704

Comment

Thanks but I wasn't trying to create MKV file since I don't have the Ripper module. I did find a work-around for the other two titles that have this issue in this collection (i.e. Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi) using tsMuxer to remux the uncompressed movie (only), importing chapters from BDInfo, then using DVDFab to compress to 25 GB size and the problem disappeared. However, that method did not work with Revenge of the Sith. Hopefully the developers can figure this out and solve the issue. I was surprised to learn that this problem was posted on this forum back in 2017 and yet no solution from DVDFab. Personally, I don't feel that one should have to use a work-around and that DVDFab should be able to fix this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mona View Post
              I will get the QA team to check if they could duplicate this free screen issue.
              Hello Mona,

Any progress on this? I know it has been only a few days and don't want to seem impatient, but didn't want it falling through the cracks with no solution as it did when other uses reported a similar issue with two other movies from the same Star Wars collection ("Star Wars Complete Saga" , includes Episodes I thru 6, released September 16, 2011).

I did notice that there are multiple camera angels (I believe 8) so wasn't sure if that could be what caused this, or some other issue. Btw, I still had DVDFab 11 install files so I tried with that as well (as I had with Ver. 12) and all same results with 11, 12 and 13. Just FYI.

Thank you again.

Comment

Hello Mona,

Any progress on this? I know it has been only a few days and don't want to seem impatient, but didn't want it falling through the cracks with no solution as it did when other uses reported a similar issue with two other movies from the same Star Wars collection ("Star Wars Complete Saga" , includes Episodes I thru 6, released September 16, 2011).

I did notice that there are multiple camera angels (I believe 8) so wasn't sure if that could be what caused this, or some other issue. Btw, I still had DVDFab 11 install files so I tried with that as well (as I had with Ver. 12) and all same results with 11, 12 and 13. Just FYI.

Thank you again.
                from what I've been able to find, disabling hardware acceleration should fix the green screen issue.
                or try updating or rolling back your graphics card drivers.

Comment

green screens are not just isolated to this video, home videos get green screens like that too... the way I have found to get rid of them in 12 and 13 was to set no GPU acceleration Just as october262 states or to set the decode to software and use hardware encode... Using hardware decode and software encode resulted in a spontaneous reboot... both hardware encode and decode was green screens if not a reboot...in the testing that I have done... biggest difference in the GPU hardware here is I ditched my GTX1050OC and I am now using an AMD RX6600, Both GPUs have the green screen issue.. but the green screens issue is not in any way new, I saw it way back in DVDFab 6... with it being less or more of an issue depending on which update was installed,

Comment

[QUOTE=october262;n432721]

from what I've been able to find, disabling hardware acceleration should fix the green screen issue.
                    or try updating or rolling back your graphics card drivers.[/QUOTE

Rolling back driver still did not fix the issue. However, using software only decode/encode eliminated the green screen issue. The downside is it took around 4 hours to do what normally only takes 20 minutes with hardware acceleration. Since the CPU was running close to full load for most of those 4 hours, it did get a bit warm at about 80C. I used my older i7-3770K based PC to do this since I didn't want my main PC's (i9-9900KF platform) CPU resources tired up for that long and since I don't use the older PC much anyway.

In over a decade of using DVDFab, this is the first time I have ever run into this issue. Apparently other users have experienced this with other titles as well, so if it is in fact a bug in DVDFab, then it likely wont get fixed since it hasn't up to now and since there seems to be limited user comments on this issue, they likely wont take the time to address this just for a handful of users. Too bad.

Thank you october262 for the reminder that this option exists.

Comment

Mona Any update on this? As noted above, I did a work-around by disabling GPU decoding/encoding, but it does not fix the underlying problem in DVDFab. Could you please provide an update as to the progress in fixing this long known issue? Thank you.

Comment

Mona Still waiting for a reply. A response would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comment

Mona Still waiting for a reply. A response would be appreciated. Thank you.
                          The developer said that they have done some update in the latest version of DVDFab and suggest that you use the latest version to try again, you may just copy 2 chapters to see the test result.

1. Please set it to use soft decode + hw encode.
                          2. Please also try hw decode + hw encode.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20231201-174227.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	433573

Please post the result for both tests along with the latest DVDFab13.log and fabcheck_internal.log, thank you. ​

Comment

Mona Using SOFT decode and HW encode ... NO green screen!

However, using HW decode and HW encode still results in green screen at the same precise location.

At least, using soft decode with hw encode is much faster than soft decode and encode, and CPU only gets to about 63 C. (i9-9700KF ... AIO water cooling ... not overclocked ... GTX 1660 XC).

Comment

Mona Using SOFT decode and HW encode ... NO green screen!

However, using HW decode and HW encode still results in green screen at the same precise location.

At least, using soft decode with hw encode is much faster than soft decode and encode, and CPU only gets to about 63 C. (i9-9700KF ... AIO water cooling ... not overclocked ... GTX 1660 XC).

Could you please provide the latest log file? Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X