newbie blu-ray to blu-ray full disk copy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie blu-ray to blu-ray full disk copy

I copied a blu-ray disk using DVDFab 7.0.3.0, Blu-ray to Blu-ray, Full Disc to my hard drive. It created two main folders within the movie folder: BDMV and CERTIFICATE. In BDMV\Stream, I found several m2ts files that seem to be the main movie plus extras, previews etc. I'm wondering how I can get the same experience as I do with the original disk when I playback from the hard drive, specifically getting the menu where I can pick the main movie, special features i.e. outtakes, subtitles, etc. My player is PowerDVD 10.

Instead of folders, rip to an ISO and then mount it with Virtual Drive software. Fab has this in beta form for you to try at no cost. Just download it from links in this forum.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Good question,
      I'm wondering the same thing. I guess i don't know what "mount to virtual drive software" means?? Can you point me in the right direction? I'm backing up disc and wanting to play them back off the HDD. What is the best method? I'm currently backing full BD-50 back up to HDD but sometimes it will create multiple small files which don't play "seamlessly." I'm using VLC to play them. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by hoffhines View Post
        Good question,
        I'm wondering the same thing. I guess i don't know what "mount to virtual drive software" means?? Can you point me in the right direction? I'm backing up disc and wanting to play them back off the HDD. What is the best method? I'm currently backing full BD-50 back up to HDD but sometimes it will create multiple small files which don't play "seamlessly." I'm using VLC to play them. Thanks!
        hoffhines,
        first of all, as GregiBoy said back up your BD in .ISO format (this format is an image, or essentially a picture of your Blu-ray disc... if it make sense).
        Now, you would need a "virtual drive" that will look at the picture of your BD and interpret it into a "real disc".... Hopefully you are with me so far. DVDFab offering this kind of "drive" calling "DVDFab Virtual Drive". You can download it here: http://72.55.191.8/download/DVDFabVirtualDrive1109.exe
        and install on your computer. When installed, find your .iso, right-click on it and you will see a new option: Mount to D: with little DVDFab icon next to it. So, mount it. Now, you can go to VLC or any other player that you may use, select virtual drive (with mounted disc on it) as a source, and enjoy the movie
        Last edited by IPopov50; 04-16-2010, 04:27 PM.
        sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

I agree IPopov50 is right on the process. I would take note that VLC has issues still with bluray and its file system. Their are nightly builds of VLC that Im currently trying out that only work with the main movie rip and not the full disc one. They are so far still buggy. I would suggest your google what players are on the market. I personally use Total media theater and PowerDVD. Which are both premium players. I hope this helps if your running into problems with VLC.

CHEERS!

Comment

Thank you directeeccks,
            I'm not using VLC, and not intimately familiar with this player. My player is Media Player Classic Homecinema, which is working superbly for me.
            sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
            For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Blu Ray newbie

I'm in the same category of several of the posters in this thread, i.e., I'm a newbie to backing up in the Blu Ray format. I've used DVDfab for several years for backing up my dvd's and it has been pretty straightforward. That hasn't been the case thus far for my blu rays. I guess the first question is, is this simply the nuance of the blu ray format? In other words, for my dvd's, I simply set the target path for the dvd files to be backed up to, select the main movie option and the quality type, and after it's done, the vob files can be opened from my various media players seamlessly. It has not been that easy for the Blu Ray.

For the purposes of background, I have a Viewsonic VOT550 mini HTPC and am using the latest version of Dvdfab and backing up to my HDD. For Dvd playback, I've been using Windows Media Player with the MyMovies add-on. The computer comes with a built-in BR drive and defaults to Power DVD as the player.

Assuming the DVDfab Blu Ray program would be similar to the dvd program, I went through the same steps (backing up Dark Knight) and when I tried to open in WMP/MyMovies, I got the following error: "NO PLAYER, There were no players detected on your system capable of playing blu ray or HD DVD file structures." When I tried to open it with the WMP program without MyMovies interface, I got "NO IMAGE MOUNTER, There were no image mounters detected on your system capable of mounting disc images."

Now I've seen a couple of postings on this Forum about Virtual Drives which sounds like it may be related to the "image mounter" referenced above. However, I'd like to avoid doing "work-arounds" as I make copies. In other words, if I'm going to spend the time to make copies of my BR's, I want them in a format that will offer most flexibility in the future. To me, it seems that copying the actual native files would be consistent with this, versus making a back-up of just the .ISO image. Further, I'd really like to keep the integration with MyMovies and I'm not sure these formats are compatable.

Finally, after doing some trial and error, I was able to open the native .m2ts file in VLC, although it didn't have any time info and you couldn't skip chapter-to-chapter.

I've got a lot here so I will take a breath in hopes that some of you will have answers/suggestions. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
              X