No announcement yet.

Having some fragmentation/pixelation when converting to dvd9 on some blurays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having some fragmentation/pixelation when converting to dvd9 on some blurays

So I have been using dvd fab for about a month. I have successfully convert like 7 blu ray rips with no fragmentation or pixels throughout the movies length.
    I have found both with version 6 and 7 have both produced some flawed compressions. I am curious to what may cause this. I would hate to have to go back an keep watching my movies all the way through to make sure. I am currently going through some trial and errors of my own to try to figure it out. I have used cuda enabled on all of my rips. I have a quad core from intel 2.66ghz and i have all the latest codecs and nvidia drivers. If anyone has some advice or any kind of idea to why this is happening please let me know. I will post my findings soon on my trials and errors to see if it pertains to the movies themselves with all the setting reconfigured. Ty in advance

Some blu-rays have imperfections when pressed and not noticable when you play back the original disc. But when you back the disc up it shows. I have the same issue with surrogates the original blu-ray reads great but the copy has pixel issues. I also heard on other blu-ray forums this can be due to any small scratch, piece of dust on the disc, or even a finger print on the original, or the media your using, even a slight bump of the desktop/laptop/or external burner can cause a pixel issue.
    Lancool K-56 case.
    OCZ 700watt PSU.
    MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 AM3+.
    AMD 8 core FX-8120 3.1ghz.
    ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX cooler.
    16gb G.skill 1600mhz memory.
    OCZ Agility 120gb SSD.
    WD 2TB.
    EVGA GTX Geforce 550Ti.
    LGWH12LS38 BD-RE

Comment

Originally posted by unknownbluray View Post
      this can be due to any small scratch, piece of dust on the disc, or even a finger print on the original, or the media your using, even a slight bump of the desktop/laptop/or external burner can cause a pixel issue.
      directeeccks,
      Although I agree with unknownbluray, IMO things are going far beyond dust and fingerprints. Process of video/audio encoding/decoding is very complicated with multiple components involved, where used codec is a major factor. As you might know there number of codecs claiming doing same thing. The fact that there's number of them shows that none of them perfect. However, each of those codecs have tens of variable, tweakable (is this a word? parameters. Applying different settings to every adjustable parameter within a codec will noticeable change output. DVDFab is a preset-based software with only two variables. This mean all other codec settings are set in a "golden middle" range. But again, codec settings in video encoding/decoding is not "one size fits all" kinda deal, but "hit or miss". So, on some outputs it's miss. When it happened to me, I take unfortunate content aside and deal with it using other tools.

On a side note. As I have pointed to developers before, codec settings for Blu-ray to Mobile mode, MKV option is completely out of reasonable range, which produces terrible quality content, and it makes this particular mode useless... I hope they are working on it and will fix it soon
      sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

I agree with IPovov50 the codec can be the issue as well.
        Lancool K-56 case.
        OCZ 700watt PSU.
        MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 AM3+.
        OCZ Agility 120gb SSD.
        WD 2TB.
        EVGA GTX Geforce 550Ti.
        LGWH12LS38 BD-RE

Comment

Ty for reply's. As I figured it may be codec issues. I have took one of the movies that had the random fragmentation and tried different settings. My first run last night was without cuda enabled. I found that the movie was good all the way through. I feel though it may be as random as the imperfections of the flawed rips. So I am now doing it again with cuda enabled to see.

Yea I am glad I am not the only one with this issue. It just bugs the heck out of me. The movie before(the very first time i ran it) was for the most part a good rip but only about 45 secs were the video look like it got ran through a blender. Now the 45 seconds worth was split into random places throughout the length.

I'm going to post back after I watch the cuda enabled copy. Just to let you folks know how it turned out. I think just to be sure though I will do both cuda enabled and software enabled both twice to be sure.

I hope its not just a random cause the codecs themselves encode randomly. That will mean me testing and trying out a mess of setting. I hope I can be able to watch this movie like 20 time. lol Ty folks again for quick response.

Comment

directeeccks,
            if you decided to do some testings (we all appreciate that) please keep your journal, document every step and setting along with BD information and logs, and submit it either to developers or here (that we all can see the results). These king of testings are very helpful and make software better. Also, please add to your report MediaInfo (preferably HTML format) of your outcome file.

On a sidenotes, for future, 2-pass processing usually a very good cure for this kind of defects.
            sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Okay I will do that. The only thing is how do 2 pass on blu ray to blu ray dvd 9 setting. I know the blu ray to mobile has it. Speaking of of the blu ray to mobile and the mkv settings I do not use it to compress just the blu ray to blu ray to compress. Then if I want to see .sub files on my WD TV gen 2 I just do a pass through. On my backups that are good I have done this without any issues as far as the random fragments. Well as long as the blu ray to blu ray compress to dvd 9 has no issues. The only steps currently that I am doing for the testing is cuda enabled and non cuda enabled compressions. anyway talk to you guys soon the cuda enabled is going on right now.

Comment

Originally posted by unknownbluray View Post
                Some blu-rays have imperfections when pressed and not noticable when you play back the original disc. But when you back the disc up it shows. I have the same issue with surrogates the original blu-ray reads great but the copy has pixel issues. I also heard on other blu-ray forums this can be due to any small scratch, piece of dust on the disc, or even a finger print on the original, or the media your using, even a slight bump of the desktop/laptop/or external burner can cause a pixel issue.

Unknown have you tried to back up without compression and watch the movie through entire length. Just a plain exact copy. It is better to do this way anyway. To back up from disc as an exact copy. Then to take the copy to compress. Less wear and tear on your drive. I have only really seen any issue when i compress the rip. any way good luck on surrogates.

Comment

Originally posted by directeeccks View Post
                  Okay I will do that. The only thing is how do 2 pass on blu ray to blu ray dvd 9 setting.
                  Yep, you right. My bad, there is no 2-pass option in that mode. I personally using DVDFab 6 for BD9 compression. It's slower, but better result. The problem is, that in DVDFab 7 for this mode, codec set for main@L5.0 format profile (along with few other mishaps) which result in terrible video quality. I pointed this out a while ago, and hope developers will fix it in a near future - they are busy to make CUDA work right.... Patience....
                  sigpic

Comment

directeeccks,
                    by the way, what is the size of your output BD?? I always getting smaller size than it should be. I'm wondering is it bitrate calculator problem?....
                    sigpic

Comment

Ty for reply's. As I figured it may be codec issues. I have took one of the movies that had the random fragmentation and tried different settings. My first run last night was without cuda enabled. I found that the movie was good all the way through. I feel though it may be as random as the imperfections of the flawed rips. So I am now doing it again with cuda enabled to see.

Yea I am glad I am not the only one with this issue. It just bugs the heck out of me. The movie before(the very first time i ran it) was for the most part a good rip but only about 45 secs were the video look like it got ran through a blender. Now the 45 seconds worth was split into random places throughout the length.

I'm going to post back after I watch the cuda enabled copy. Just to let you folks know how it turned out. I think just to be sure though I will do both cuda enabled and software enabled both twice to be sure.

I hope its not just a random cause the codecs themselves encode randomly. That will mean me testing and trying out a mess of setting. I hope I can be able to watch this movie like 20 time. lol Ty folks again for quick response.
                      I just scanned over this thread and thought I'd mention you should try beta 7035, if you already mentioned trying it then my apologies.

From 7035's change log: New: Improved CUDA H.264 encoder performance.

The beta may solve your issues, hopefully. (I'm interpreting 'performance' to include quality, not just speed).

Comment

Thanks W&B I will add the beta to my trial and error.

IPopov50 as far as random size output yes I have ran into that on many. Also I might add that blu ray to mkv from a dvd 9 compress pass through the size gets close to a gig smaller including the .sub and.idx file. Which i feel is kinda strange seeing that it for the most part is changing the container.

Yea again though on the dvd 9 setting it usually blu ray to blu ray shoots way under maxium file size. On most of mine it anywhere from 350 to 900 mb. Which i feel could be used to save more of the quality.

Okay well i have not watched the my second rip. Just got home and its 2 hours long. I just wanna give some info as far as time and size on both.
                        So the first non cuda enable on dvdfab7 had an encode time of 3hr and 4 min and the file size 7.60gb.(I have watched and there is no flaws) The cuda enabled for the decode and encode 3hr and 45min and the file size is 7.80gb.(I have not check for flaws yet)Will be working on it after post.

Now i must say my graphics card is not a great one. Its the g force 120m. Its comparable to the gt 9500 just with more memory. Im just trouble shooting what may be causing the issues.

I also made sure my system ran cool when i processed these.(Slapped an industrial fan right next to it with the side open and the air on) LOL max core temp of 45 C on full load. The graphics card reach a 59 c max.

I am still going to run both test again to ensure that it is not a random occurrence. I will also throughout the week run some other movies.
                        Anyway Ty again I am glad to get a lot of input on this.

Will post soon

Comment

Unknown have you tried to back up without compression and watch the movie through entire length. Just a plain exact copy. It is better to do this way anyway. To back up from disc as an exact copy. Then to take the copy to compress. Less wear and tear on your drive. I have only really seen any issue when i compress the rip. any way good luck on surrogates.
                          I did get a good rip of surrogates and I didnt do anything different than ran it through where the Burner was on a flat surface I dont know I dont remember bumping it the first time but anything is possible. Thanks for asking.
                          Lancool K-56 case.
                          OCZ 700watt PSU.
                          MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 AM3+.
                          OCZ Agility 120gb SSD.
                          WD 2TB.
                          EVGA GTX Geforce 550Ti.
                          LGWH12LS38 BD-RE

Comment

Unknown
                            So was it a compressed version of surrogates that ended up to be your final rip? Just curious. Yea I am pretty sure you didn't bump you burner or the original had issues. I have done my test and i watched both rips of the same movie.(dvd9 compression) They both are good. I just think its funny that the first time i ripped it with compression(before my trial and error runs) I had bad spots of frags and pixels bleeding or misplaced randomly and for different amounts of time. So since both of my rips were good. My findings are non conclusive this trial run.So I decided to do like a 5 min rips with and without cuda same 5 min of movie. The cuda had a half of second bleed of pixels. So at this point i am stumped as to why it is happening.

SO....I will continue to try out different things to pinpoint the area that is sensitive to rather a compression is flawless or not. I will not sweat it too much though. WD has HDD 2 tb for 150 U.S. at best buy. Which a safe estimate of 1800gigs free to use. So if most blu ray movies round out to around 25 gigs give or take. We are looking about 72 movies. With the price of the hdd would make our backups close to 2.08 a disc. I can deal with that to make sure my backups are in lossless quality, no encode time, and no worries of fragments and bleeding pixels. Also at that price is way cheaper then any bd media thats worth burning on. I will wait for the tech to progress and get better before I commit to compressing my entire blu ray collection. Just for my piece of mind. 42 blu ray and growing.

Anyway if anyone is interested I am thinking of getting a vent server going to chat with other Multi media junkies using dvdfab. I think it might be helpful to myself and others. Will post more test throughout the week as far as the dvd9 compression.

Comment

No compression just did the 25gb maini movie I still dont know about the DVD9 rip how do they look?
                              Lancool K-56 case.
                              OCZ 700watt PSU.
                              MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 AM3+.
                              OCZ Agility 120gb SSD.
                              WD 2TB.
                              EVGA GTX Geforce 550Ti.
                              LGWH12LS38 BD-RE

Comment

Working...