• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Poisoned Drives

In the latest version of DVD Fab, changelog, it says:

"drives which were poisoned by MKB v17"

what does this mean?

Thanks

That for Bluray and you posted in DVD to DVD section so does not matter if you not have Bluray. Also do not know what that means but I think maybe a rootkit or something

Comment

sorry for posting in the wrong topic; my autologin took me to the DVD section & I forgot to change to bluray section before posting. I was just interested in the phrase - was MKB v17 (a bluray protection) actually installing a rootkit? Not Sony again?

Comment

Originally posted by NigelS View Post
        sorry for posting in the wrong topic; my autologin took me to the DVD section & I forgot to change to bluray section before posting. I was just interested in the phrase - was MKB v17 (a bluray protection) actually installing a rootkit? Not Sony again?

No...no rootkits here... the previous coding for the MKB v17 protection removal was flawed, and caused drive problems... the note in that changelog was to let people know, who had a problem with a previous version, that it was fixed. Don't know if this will affect you or not... either way, nothing to worry about.

DC

Last edited by DarthCopier; 04-17-2010, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Ah, OK. Thanks for the explanation.

Comment

Dear all,

MKB files from each version have a list of revoked HostIDs, therefore a drive that have "seen" a MKBv17 will not work with any player that use a HostID from that list. In other words: the drive has been poisoned up to v17.

Poisoning has nothing to do with DVDFab, it's the Blu-ray players that send the MKB list to the drive, therefore poisoning it.

If the user uses only DVDFab to rip the disc, and use player to play only the ripped content, no poisoning will happen.

Best Regards,
            Fengtao
            DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
            http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Working...
            X