ISO versus File Structure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISO versus File Structure?

Can somebody explain the rationale as well as the advantages/disadvantages of backing up Blu-Ray to ISO image versus file structure? I'm looking to back up my Blu Ray discs to my HTPC. For my dvd's, I simply used Dvdfab to back up the dvd to vob files. However, most of what I read about backing up blu-ray recommends ISO format, which seems like an extra step. My concern with ISO (and clearly I don't fully understand the concept) is that this seems like a "workaround" because some media players don't permit file structure playback. If that's sthe case, I would prefer to rip the files and wait for technology to "catch up." Sorry if this seems naive, but any input is appreciated.

An ISO is a "Disk Image" file and contains all the information that the folders would packaged in one disk image file.

It is not an extra step as you either choose a folder structure or an ISO file when ripping.

It does have the advantage of being one file only which makes management of your media easier and the original file structure can always be extracted from it by mounting it in a virtual drive like most of the software players do.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. I guess what I meant by the extra step is the fact that you have to have an additional software program loaded to "mount" the file, versus simply having the .m2ts files on your drive that are accessed by the media player (like DVD Vob files). I can definitely see the benefit of having one file but I'm concerned that not having the native files down the road may come back and haunt me. Is it safe to say that the ISO format is preferable because of its efficiency (one file) versus it being used because it's the best choice TODAY for playing off the hard drive? And if this is the case, why hasn't the ISO technology been incorporated into burning dvd's? Thanks again.

Comment

"I'm concerned that not having the native files down the road may come back and haunt me"

You should not be as all the native files are contained within the ISO and all you have to do is mount the disk image to retrieve them.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

an ISO is really the safest way to back up a disc. It essentially is the disc, and all the info is there.

But I understand your issue with particular software/media players not liking to directly play the iso format...But for back up purposes, ISO is more convenient in the long run, as Grgiboy mentioned you can always go back and extract the files from an ISO.

Comment

Thanks guys, this has been very helpful. I backed up my first ISO last night and I'll look to get it mounted using dvdfab's virtual drive tonight. Hopefully that will go smoothly. Thanks again for the input on my question.

Comment

Actually, a couple more questions as I start to understand this process better...

It sounds like you assign a drive to each ISO? So what happens when you have 50 Isos on your drive? Do you have to replace one of the previously assigned iso's/drive letter with the new iso? That kind of defeats the purpose of building a catalog of your movies on your hard drive.

Also, I've been using MyMovies within Windows Media Center to catalog and play my movies. They say that they support ISO playback but they require "installation of SlySoft Virtual CloneDrive, which My Movies uses to mount the ISO images. When playing back a title stored as an ISO image, My Movies will mount the file via. the ISO mounter software, and Media Center's autoplay feature will pick up the disc insert, just as if you inserted a disc into a drive." Does anybody know if MyMovies will work with the DVDfab Virtual Drive? And if not, will the SlySoft virtual drive be able to read the dvdfab ISO? Obviously I'd like to stick with all DVDfab, and I can certainly test whether or not dvdfab virtual drive works with Mymovies, but if anybody knows for sure, that would be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_NYC View Post
                It sounds like you assign a drive to each ISO? So what happens when you have 50 Isos on your drive? Do you have to replace one of the previously assigned iso's/drive letter with the new iso? That kind of defeats the purpose of building a catalog of your movies on your hard drive.
                When you "mount" an ISO image into a virtual drive, its the equivalent of putting a disc into a real disc drive. When you are done using the ISO you "unmount" it, or what you would think of as "eject".

Im not sure how DVDFab virtual drive works, but there are other virtual drives out there that allow you to mount more than one ISO at a time. But again, when you're done using the ISO you just simply un-mount it.

Also, I've been using MyMovies within Windows Media Center to catalog and play my movies. They say that they support ISO playback but they require "installation of SlySoft Virtual CloneDrive, which My Movies uses to mount the ISO images. When playing back a title stored as an ISO image, My Movies will mount the file via. the ISO mounter software, and Media Center's autoplay feature will pick up the disc insert, just as if you inserted a disc into a drive." Does anybody know if MyMovies will work with the DVDfab Virtual Drive? And if not, will the SlySoft virtual drive be able to read the dvdfab ISO? Obviously I'd like to stick with all DVDfab, and I can certainly test whether or not dvdfab virtual drive works with Mymovies, but if anybody knows for sure, that would be helpful.
                Ive never used Windows Media Center, but I find it highly unlikely that the only software you can use is from Slysoft. I would imagine anything that can mount an ISO would be sufficient. You may have to change this in the settings/options area??

Comment

Thanks again, that's helpful in understanding the technology behind the virtual drive. Unfortunately, it's also the reason why I'm struggling with going that route. If the ISO files only show up when they are "mounted", I assume that any movie catalguing software, ie. MyMovies, won't show any of the movies that are not currently mounted. That takes away of a lot of the "coolness" factor of backing up your movies to hard drive. Am I missing something? Do you use any kind of catalog software that will recognize non-mounted ISO's? Or as I type this, I'm thinking that it may show the ISO, but maybe you just can't play directly out of the catalog software. That may not be a fatal problem. I guess I'm going to have to play around this some more but if anybody has input on how to put this all together, i.e., DVD/BR media player and management program, that would be helpful. I'm also posting in the MyMovies forum and will comment here on any solutions I hear about.

Comment

Rob, I convert my movies to .mkv and play them through the WDTV Live media streamer. So Im not very familiar with Windows Media Center as a player. I have WMP12 and Media Center on my Windows 7 64 bit OS, but I never use them.

Comment

Thanks again, that's helpful in understanding the technology behind the virtual drive. Unfortunately, it's also the reason why I'm struggling with going that route. If the ISO files only show up when they are "mounted", I assume that any movie catalguing software, ie. MyMovies, won't show any of the movies that are not currently mounted. That takes away of a lot of the "coolness" factor of backing up your movies to hard drive. Am I missing something? Do you use any kind of catalog software that will recognize non-mounted ISO's? Or as I type this, I'm thinking that it may show the ISO, but maybe you just can't play directly out of the catalog software. That may not be a fatal problem. I guess I'm going to have to play around this some more but if anybody has input on how to put this all together, i.e., DVD/BR media player and management program, that would be helpful. I'm also posting in the MyMovies forum and will comment here on any solutions I hear about.

Give this link below a read and try what is suggested as it would probably work for you

I have not tried it with mymovies but it just might work but have to try to find out

Comment

Thanks, this sounds like what I need. I will try tonight and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by crackinhedz View Post
                          Rob, I convert my movies to .mkv and play them through the WDTV Live media streamer. So Im not very familiar with Windows Media Center as a player. I have WMP12 and Media Center on my Windows 7 64 bit OS, but I never use them.
                          Crackinghedz, I assume you're converting to the .mkv from an ISO file? Or are you ripping directly to .mkv? DVDFab allows for that, which I've actually just come across and am intrigued. Before I take the plunge into backing up my blu-rays, I want to make sure I'm doing it the best way. What's your thoughts on ISO versus .mkv, or are they really two different things? I assume your WD doesn't play iso's? Thanks.

Comment

Crackinghedz, I assume you're converting to the .mkv from an ISO file? Or are you ripping directly to .mkv? DVDFab allows for that, which I've actually just come across and am intrigued. Before I take the plunge into backing up my blu-rays, I want to make sure I'm doing it the best way. What's your thoughts on ISO versus .mkv, or are they really two different things? I assume your WD doesn't play iso's? Thanks.
                            I rip my blurays to file, .m2ts.

I convert to mkv mainly because I can compress without the loss of much quality using x264 64 bit encoder. Although, I use another program other than fab to convert to mkv.

As for the WDTV, I believe it plays ISO...but I always strip out extras and menus anyways (main movie only) so ISO doesn't benefit me much.

Comment

Interesting, I would have thought that from your earlier comments in this thread that you'd be ripping to ISO. I think you had mentioned it was the "safest" and "most convenient" method. Why don't you go that route? I was actually under the impression that you could create an ISO for just the Main Movie. I seem to think Dvdfab enables that but maybe I'm wrong.

As I mentioned when I started this thread, before I dig in to backing up my Blu Rays to my hard drive I want to make sure I'm doing it in a way that will create the least amount of work now and in the future, i.e., I'd rather not have to extract the .m2ts files from ISO down the road if I can just go ahead and do it now. My main purpose is to get my movies on the hard drive so I can watch them from it, as well as serving as a back-up.

I'm still leaning towards ISO, but I'm still torn about ripping to file structure, i.e., .m2ts, and now mkv. Although it sounds like mkv compresses, even modestly, and I don't want to do that.

Comment

Working...
                              X