which is better? cpu or software for compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which is better? cpu or software for compression

Using dvd fab, which is better, the cpu/gpu or software if your compressing the 50 gig to 25 gig disks? if i use cpu/gpu, my cpu usage is 99%, which im sure running that long at 99% isnt good for the cpu...

studmonkey76
    99% load on your CPU isn't a problem. In fact, most of hardcore gamers overclocking their CPUs and running for days. Don't worry about your CPU, it designed for it, just keep it cool.
    Re. GPU accelerations, it's really on case-by-case basis. For example, I just finished my two-days long "dances with a drums" with The Blind Side. I tried all combination on v.6 and v.7. Finally, v.7 with CoreAVC without GPU acceleration gave me what I want.
    So, there is no conclusive answer on your question.

Originally posted by studmonkey76 View Post
    Using dvd fab, which is better, the cpu/gpu or software if your compressing the 50 gig to 25 gig disks? if i use cpu/gpu, my cpu usage is 99%, which im sure running that long at 99% isnt good for the cpu...
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

how do u change the gpu acceleration? i dont see an option for it...

heres what i get under codec info

Graphics Chipset :
      ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series

Supported Video Codecs :
      DXVA_MODE_H264
      DXVA_MODE_VC1

CoreAVC : cannot be detected.

Comment

Oh! you are ATI... Well, for you DXVA selected means GPU acceleration, Software - means GPU acceleration is off.
        I also would recommend to buy CoreAVC (about 10 bucks or so) and add to your menu. It's fastest codec available and does great job.
        Last edited by IPopov50; 04-23-2010, 08:23 PM.
        sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

so if i use software, would it be faster?

Comment

went ahead and got the CoreAVC and its automatically selected in the codec info...

Comment

Not likely.
              There are three possible levels of decoding/encoding speeds in DVDFab:
              slowest - software. All data processing burden is completely on CPU
              Mid - software, but fast, efficient codec CoreAVC (this applies only on AVC content)
              fastest - with GPU acceleration, where GPU also involved in data processing. Load distribution between CPU and GPU is very difficult to write (program, I mean). DVDFab isn't reached perfection yet, but we're getting there. I would say this feature is still in development, and it would take a time before we can fully enjoy it.
              sigpic

Comment

even with the coreavc, i still get 99% cpu usage, is this usual?

Comment

Originally posted by studmonkey76 View Post
                  even with the coreavc, i still get 99% cpu usage, is this usual?
                  Yes, Its normal. I'm upset if I'm not getting that much. CoreAVC is just more efficient codec, meaning produces chunks of information for CPU to process more efficiently. In result of it, faster processing. This is simplest way to put it... I can do any simpler, sorry.
                  sigpic

Comment

that explains it good...so using coreavc is the best way to go...

Comment

I agree with Ipopov50. I would also like to add to the 99% usage to the cpu. There isnt a program that can encode high def vid without taxing the cpu like crazy unless it ONLY uses the video card. I can say the new fab with gpu is effective. its saves on encode time. The version 6 to 7 to compare version 7 i save 20min on encode.

Cheers!

Comment

Hi, I am quite new to the forum and had pretty much the same question with regards to encoding/decoding performance with the 7.x versions of DVDFab.

Here is my quick specs:

Dell Precision 690 Workstation
                        2 - 3GHz Intel Xeon X5365 Quad Cores (8 cores total)
                        8 - 4GB DDR2-667 FBDIMMs for 32GB total
                        4 - OCZ Vertex Turbo SSD drives in RAID0 (channels 0:0,0:1,1:0,1:1) (Benchmarked average 650MB/s)
                        4 - Seagate 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM drives in RAID0 (channels 0:2,0:3,1:2,1:3) (Benchmarked average 400MB/s)
                        1 - Dell PERC6i eight channels
                        1 - EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 295 dual GPU with 1.8GB DDR3 RAM

Trying to use a BD ISO sitting on the RAID0 OCZ disk of WALL-E that I made using DVDFab 6.x to a XBOX 360 format that is targeted to write the file on a 20GB RAMDisk. I have started with just all defaults and then purchased the CoreAVC as a recommendation to increase performance for encoding/decoding. My system starts at over 125 FPS with all 8 cores running at about 70% average. After about a few seconds the job quickly drops down to an average of 20 FPS. Then after about 20-30 minutes it drops down to less than 5 FPS with all cores at idle and pretty much stays there for the remainder of the job.

Am I doing something wrong? I would think that my system has enough horsepower to tear right through the encoding/decoding process. Thoughts/ideas?
                        Last edited by CiscoKid; 04-24-2010, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Ciscokid

I have a couple question to ask in order for me to provide advice. Yes you should be able to tear through encodes faster then most who own this program. My first question is have you tried version 7 yet?(don't worry install for 7 leaves 6 still on) Second is have you tried the all of the outputs like ps3, mkv, ect. Third question what exactly are you trying to get from changing the containers?(Meaning are you trying to stream your media, copy to a disc, compress to save on storage device, play from pc)

I can tell you I have both a WDTV gen2 and a ps3 as far as external device to play my media. I have an xbox too but I perfer those two to run my back ups. I personally use Blu ray to bluray first to get my rip. Then I run my rip through Blu ray to Bluray again to compress to dvd 9. The reason for this is less wear and tear on the drive. That process(step 1 and 2) for me takes about 3 hours to finish give or take. So now that its all ready compressed I run blu ray to mobile container mkv on the passthrough setting. Takes less then 10 minutes. Now Im left with a mkv and idx/sub files that can fit on a dvd 9 that works on WDTV gen 2 including the subs.(opps i forget i also removed HD audio in backup the first step) The ps3 doesnt support mkv native but you can stream them.(which is what i do but .sub files are not supported in stream).

I can say if you try blu ray to blu ray and compress your backup to Dvd 9 you will be able to see your beast of computer do its thing. With your 295 with cuda enabled on version 7 you should see a good increase. I have i gtx120m weaksauce card(equal to 9500) and version 7 shaved about 20min off encode time.

Anyway I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                          X