Question about subtitles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about subtitles

Forgive me if this has been addressed before. What is the best way to set the subtitles. When I select movie only I pick the audio track I want (Dolby True HD) then should I select only english for the subtitles (it actually says subpicture, is there a difference?) When I copied Ratatouille the subtitles were always on and I know my bluray player is set correctly. I know people have had a hard time with Avatar. Is there something I'm doing wrong. I read the Avatar subtitles thread and I don't see the force subtitles tab either.

Thanks

Originally posted by jayt View Post
    Forgive me if this has been addressed before. What is the best way to set the subtitles. When I select movie only I pick the audio track I want (Dolby True HD) then should I select only english for the subtitles (it actually says subpicture, is there a difference?) When I copied Ratatouille the subtitles were always on and I know my bluray player is set correctly. I know people have had a hard time with Avatar. Is there something I'm doing wrong. I read the Avatar subtitles thread and I don't see the force subtitles tab either.

Thanks
    OK, one answer at a time.
    aa. Subpicture and subtitles is a same thing - no difference.
    bb. Forced (or hard) subtitles is a special kind of subtitles that are part of a picture (i.e. when in English WWII movie German Nazis start to talk to each other in German and we have no idea what are they talking about. There's comes a help with forced subtitles). Unlike soft subtitles, forced subtitles couldn't be turned off in menu.
    cc. if and when you selecting subtitles as a part of your rip, you should have them included in your AVCHD output structure as selectable, meaning when played on stand along BR player you can turn on and off through menu.
    However, you don't have to select them at all, or may select them all - it's up to you.

On a sidenotes: You are ripping to BD25 size, correct?
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the clarification. So what happened when I ripped the movie only to my hard drive. I only selected english, but when I play the movie on my stand alone player the subtitles appear all the time. The movie is in english so they shouldn't appear at all right?. I ripped with BD 50 no compression, the movie is 26 gb or so.

Comment

It not suppose to happen that way. You should be able turn subs on and off in your player. From what you saying, I can only guess that you accidentally set a "default flag" for this track. What you probably did is, you clicked not just at English sub box, but also little bit left of that, and little blue triangle appeared left of sub checkbox. This little blue triangle mean that "default flag" is set for this track. It not a disaster, but when player "sees" this flag it start to read and produce this track as a default. So, instead of turning subs "on" when it needed, you have to turn them "off" every time you start the movie. I hope my explanation simple and not confusing.
        Same thing with audio. You can select any number of audio tracks, but only one could be set as default. That one would play when movie starts. However, you can change those tracks through the menu.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. So what happened when I ripped the movie only to my hard drive. I only selected english, but when I play the movie on my stand alone player the subtitles appear all the time. The movie is in english so they shouldn't appear at all right?. I ripped with BD 50 no compression, the movie is 26 gb or so.
        sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Wow, I have never seen anything next to the subtiltle box like a blue triangle. Oh well it's not the end of the world I can just turn them off, However, if I need the subtitles for a language I do not understand (ie. Avatar, Pandorian language) that's another story.

Comment

jayt,
            things are much simpler than you think. Once you understand, you wouldn't see it in such a dramatic light. If you know that you would never use subs, why selecting them at all? Leave them along (outside). And if you'll ever need them, you can always find them on your original disc or on internet; either way - 3 clicks away.
            Pandorian language is a different story, those subs are "forced" or "hard" subs (in oppose to "soft" subs we're just talking about). And when selected, becoming part of the picture.

Wow, I have never seen anything next to the subtiltle box like a blue triangle. Oh well it's not the end of the world I can just turn them off, However, if I need the subtitles for a language I do not understand (ie. Avatar, Pandorian language) that's another story.
            sigpic

Comment

Wow, I have never seen anything next to the subtiltle box like a blue triangle.
              By the way, take a close look, it's a little, very little blue triangle on a left from checkbox. You will see one on a left from audio track too
              sigpic

Comment

previous post deleted as it said nothing that was any help to the thread starter.

Comment

Working...
                X