This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Objective - Load Blurays to External HD for Travel

This simple question is going to be painful, I know - but I've been searching this forum and can't make head-or-tails on how to proceed after sifting through posting after posting.

(Might be a good idea to put up some objective based, rather than category based stickies on various subjects "if you want to transfer DVDs to your Laptop do this...." etc.)

So, my wife has a billion movies (DVD Bluray) and wants to be able to watch them on the road (laptop or in-car player, or hotel TV, etc.). So I bought DVDfab to allow me to copy this movie library to an external HD (500 Gig or so), and then use that to feed the laptop for direct viewing or further output to a TV or monitor.

I've tried using Bluray to ISO, but ended up with a file I could do nothing with. I've tried Bluray to Bluray, Full Disk and end up a gazzilion files - what do I do with these?

Sorry guys, but I'm really out of my element here, any help would be great.

For the iso try using a virtual drive to mount it and then use something to play it on the laptop. You can use DVDFab virtual drive which is free and the download is located in link below

You can as well convert to a mobile format which takes some time but easier to play as well

Comment

Ok, that's great, so ISO or using one of the "mobile" conversions are the best options I guess. It sounds like mobile is probably the best choice for me.

I have already created a number of AVI files from DVDs but have had a bit of trouble doing so with Blurays (only 30-45 minutes of the movie appears in output file), but I'll update to the beta and see if that cures the problem.

Thanks

Comment

joeclarke
        speaking your language, you do have an objective, and it's about time think through strategy and tactics before jumping the gun.
        First of all, since average Blu-ray content about 30 GB, your 500 GB traveling drive will be able to carry 15 movies max. Since you have a "billion" movies, you wife should carry a suitcase of harddrives with her. I don't think it will work for her.
        Any advantages to have BRs on traveling drive - None!!! She will watch the movies on laptop, etc. with small screen, and as you should know, smaller screen = better picture. 500 MB - size movie on iPod will be as sharp and crisp as 50 GB movie on 56" plasma.
        So far, right strategy would be to go with DVD/BD to Mobile.

So, is her laptop is the only "player" that you having in mind??? You should ask yourself a question what other "players" you or anybody in your family will or potentially can use. Don't factor your laptop in as a determining factor - laptop with right player and codec pac will play anything. I.e. Let's say some of members of your family having iPhone/iPod and may potentially load up those movies and enjoy them watching on that iPod. In this case, without any doubt, your format of choice is mp4, and "DVD/BR to mobile", iPod/iPhone option is way to go....

However, if there's a hiccup on actual conversion, please go here, read and make post as recommended there: http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=542
        sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
          joeclarke
          speaking your language, you do have an objective, and it's about time think through strategy and tactics before jumping the gun.

However, if there's a hiccup on actual conversion, please go here, read and make post as recommended there: http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=542
          Very well said, thanks for the advice.

You are right, of course, Bluray or DVD to Mobile makes the most sense for my purposes. In terms of conversions, I am running the 7.0505 Beta and have changed the Path Player setting to "enable path player when necessary" in accordance with remarks on a thread here...

But I'm having the same problem as the OP, only about 30 minutes of a bluray appear in the AVI file after conversion using Bluray to Mobile. If I use Bluray to MP4, the entire Bluray will be included, but not with Bluray to AVI.

I have had similar results with The Fall, Ice Age 3, Journey to the Centre of the Earth and Mummy 3 - but Fanatastic Four 3 (Full screen version) converted from Bluray to AVI with success.

If there is another thread or other details upon which I should be reporting these problems please advise.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X