This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LarryM04 View Post
    Took a chance, set the rip output to BD50 and... it was done fairly quick.

Is the compression that bad for BluRay? I've done lots and lots of DVDs, none of them took hours and hour to process.

Running the compression from HD - it currently says its going to take 5 hours. Really? 5 hours?
    Yes, Blu-Ray is much larger and takes lots of processing power.

Comment

The BD-50 to BD-25 ended up taking over 18 hours.

I don't understand why its sooo much worse than a DVD ???

This disk was 33G, if for round numbers I say that a DVD9 is 9G, then 33/9 = 3.7 I would guess that this disk would take 3.7 times as long to compress than a DVD9. Yet a DVD9 compresses in a few minutes not +18 hours.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of DVDFab, I'm baffled by this huge time difference.

Comment

You'd have to compare the uncompressed video information to get an idea of where the difference is. Here is a handy chart:

Comment

Originally posted by Complication View Post
          You'd have to compare the uncompressed video information to get an idea of where the difference is. Here is a handy chart:

http://www.alternatewars.com/BBOW/Co...o_Bitrates.htm
          I realize the HD picture has more information, that's why there is 33G of information instead of 9G.

I would be fine with the task taking 4x as long, even 8x as long. But 18hrs is about a 40x time difference. That just seems out-of-whack.

Is everyone seeing that kind of time?

Comment

Originally posted by LarryM04 View Post
            Is everyone seeing that kind of time?
            yes, but most of this time depends on your processor etc.

To put it simple, the video codecs are much more complex than dvd.

DVD has had plenty of time to prefect its compression scheme and PC's have come a long way since its beginning with better processors etc ...where as bluray .m2ts is basically just beginning. Quad core processor will do a way faster job compared to a pentium 4. But until quad core and beyond become standard, it will take a little longer than you might like.

You can't look at dvd ~5GB vs bluray ~30GB and say its X proportionate so the compression times should be X proportionate. Only in a perfect world!
            Last edited by crackinhedz; 05-18-2010, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X