X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fab aud stream menu 'all,' ddig,' 'lmpeg,' 'linear,' 'DTS' choices

Hey fabber's...,

I'm gathering the 'audio streamin.' specifics. I, like a number of
    others having inconsistencie's. I have included a couple screen shots to assist. My attempt to rip 'LOR' (fellowship of the rings) with 'DTS audi'o is unsuccessful and Disney's 'ponyo, are unsuccessful. I systematically went through each 'dvdfab' stream option 'dolby digital,' linear pcm' 'dts' 'mpeg2' each with 'none meets my criteria,' 'all tracks' and then, 'select first track.' all these attempts were 'unchecked' 'box,' of 'remove hd audio. (not checked) all results were no audio. I have wasted a great deal of time. Only once, before I got the bright idea, (questionable) to do the 'trial test' did the powerdvd play 'fellowship' with audio, but i hadn't been documenting properly, I wasn't paying attention and couldn't get it back. I do remember I had the 'streamed info 'pinned' to the cyberplayer when it played my 'test,' and it listed it as 'dolby digital 2.0' I never 'closed and reopened' dvdfab after making changes as IPopov50 suggests. So..........,

specs: dvdfab ver7.0.6.9
    player: cyberlink powerdvd7.3
    blu-ray:lg GBW-H20L
    player plays retail blu-rays fine
    ripped discs to HDD also play
    as long as not 'DTS-HD master.'

1. what dictates the audio 'choice' to make as shown in attached screen shot 1?

2. what is the purpose of remove
    HD audio (via the checkbox)?

3.what effect does it have as example on the audio in screen shot2?

4.If you select 'all tracks' why do they not show up on the 'fab menu of audio stream choices. why only for example dts-hd master 5.1 shows up to choose from when I had choose 'all tracks' in the 'common settings' dvd/blu-ray audio stream menu settings? screen shot 2.

so if another user who has insight can post a response, many will benefit. perhaps an adminisitrator will allow a 'stickey'!!

apollos68 [IMG]

Attached Files

Geez Apollos68, what a question!!!! OK lets nail it one by one. If I may, I will start with this one:

2. what is the purpose of remove HD audio (via the checkbox)?
    HD Audio is a very dense, very high bitrate audio stream, usually around 5-6 Mbps, that most of the players can't even handle. It's overkill. And when that happened, players usually conspiring against us curious users and produce no sound at all, leaving as wondering. Besides, because such intensity, HD sound takes up enormous amount of space - 5 Gig and more.
    HD overhead is built on a top of a "core", which is "normal", conventional 5.1 audio format with bitrate around 1500 Kbps and size around 1 Gig for the movie. So, when you check that box, DVDFab will remove HD overhead and will leave you and, which most important, your player happy. Needless to say that if you leaving HD sound in your rips, it ma be the cause of a silence when you try to play it.

1. what dictates the audio 'choice' to make as shown in attached screen shot 1?
    Lets continue with this one. By selecting "All tracks" you telling DVDFab to expose all audio tracks that are contained on BD. BTW, you have missed another option, right above that one, you can chose what languages to display. You will be surprised how many track you can get bu selecting everything. I have seen European BD with 8 Audio tracks and 27 subtitles. I would suggest to check "all tracks". Otherwise, if you select DTS, and your content coded in AC3, you will be really busy trying to figure out where is main movie soundtrack gone.
    I hope this make sense so far, and we can easily nail next one:
    3.what effect does it have as example on the audio in screen shot2?

4.If you select 'all tracks' why do they not show up on the 'fab menu of audio stream choices. why only for example dts-hd master 5.1 shows up to choose from when I had choose 'all tracks' in the 'common settings' dvd/blu-ray audio stream menu settings? screen shot 2.
    Effect is this, if you select all tracks, they all will show up on DVDFab Audio screen like the one you have pictured on your screenshot 2. And why only DTS-HD MA showed up to choose from?, because there's nothing else on that disc. But sometimes, especially if main track is in LPCM, another, more primitive format duplicates it. LPCM is one of a kind animal, raw audio. Only very few players can read and handle it, so studios duplicating it with something easier chewable for players. That's when you will exercise your rights to choose an audio track.

OK, now back to your saga. Here you've got me confused and send me to a guessing circle. However, I will try to answer your questions, and if I guessed wrong, please let me know.
    My guess number one: you calling rips of those titles "unsuccessful" because you have no audio.
    My guess number two: you made those rips with HD audio in them.

If both my guesses are correct, from my essay above you already figured out that you were pissed off your player with HD audio and player don't want to talk to you anymore.
    You actually came to a right conclusion on your own, and your observations are correct - removing HD audio will make your live much easier and more pleasurable.
    I do have one more suggestion for you however, please do yourself a favor, download and install one more, alternative player. The one you have (PowerDVD) isn't the best one when it comes to variety of formats and packages. I would suggest Media Player Classic Home Cinema. Please Google it, it's free. If you have 64 bit system, they have x64 version, and all codecs are built in, so you wouldn't need any codec packs or anything.

And again, if you have some more questions or if I miss something please let me know, or anybody on this forum.
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Working...
    X