This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compression over 6 hrs.! Normal?

I compressed "The Patriot" (main movie with only English track, down to 25 GB) and it took more than 6 hours. Is it normal, or is my PC too weak?

Thanks.

ACER M3800 (CPU: Intel Core 2, Quad CPU Q8200 @2.33 GHz, 6,0 GB RAM)

ATI Radeon HD 4650 1024 MB

Writer: LG BH10LS30

Originally posted by loutriju View Post
    I compressed "The Patriot" (main movie with only English track, down to 25 GB) and it took more than 6 hours. Is it normal, or is my PC too weak?

Thanks.
    On your machine it's normal. If you would have CUDA-enabled card, it would of been better. Do you use DXVA acceleration?
    Anyway, here is my machine's performance. You can take a tour of this thread to get the picture:

sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Thanks for your prompt answer.

I used to use DXVA acceleration, but you advised me to use the "software" option because my backups were jerky. With "software" they work fine though.

Or has v7.0.7.0 fixed the "jerky" problem?

ACER M3800 (CPU: Intel Core 2, Quad CPU Q8200 @2.33 GHz, 6,0 GB RAM)

ATI Radeon HD 4650 1024 MB

Writer: LG BH10LS30

Comment

Originally posted by loutriju View Post
        Thanks for your prompt answer.

I used to use DXVA acceleration, but you advised me to use the "software" option because my backups were jerky. With "software" they work fine though.

Or has v7.0.7.0 fixed the "jerky" problem?
        To be honest with you, I have no idea. I'm fan of nVIDIA CUDA technology; I don't have ATI card, but seems less and less complaints related to DXVA, and I'm not sure why - is it because all bugs were fixed, or because people gave up. If software is good, keep this way. I would suggest you to try acceleration with new releases to make sure if it works or not. Just try little fragment to see...
        sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

The "jerky" problem is caused by DXVA itself on certain PCs, DVDFab cannot fix it.

We strongly suggest to get a high end nVidia card with CUDA, it can speed up a lot.
          DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
          http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Is it possible to put a "Recommended Hardware Configuration" on the Blu-Ray to Blu-Ray section on the main website? A minimum and recommended setup? Most games do this when setup affects performance. I know this ins't a game but setup does determine results and time spent to compress. Right now anybody trying the Blu-Ray to BD-25 with the requirements for the program that are posted is going to be sorely disappointent.

Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000 (32-bit/64-bit)
            Pentium II 500 MHz
            512 MB of RAM
            A Blu-ray Drive

As far as I can tell those requirements are fine for the DVD to DVD, but not anywhere adequate for Blu-Ray compression to BD-25. If you posted a suggested setup for best results people won't have as much as a beef to post as it would clearly be posted on the main website what you recommend for optimal results. I had to do some digging before I saw a post of yours saying that you use the GTX 275 as a reference card. Had I seen that sooner I probably would have bought at least a GTX 260 instead of the ATI Raedeon 5770 I chose to get.
            Last edited by DharmaBummed69; 06-12-2010, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DharmaBummed69 View Post
              Is it possible to put a "Recommended Hardware Configuration" on the Blu-Ray to Blu-Ray section on the main website? A minimum and recommended setup? Most games do this when setup affects performance. I know this ins't a game but setup does determine results and time spent to compress. Right now anybody trying the Blu-Ray to BD-25 with the requirements for the program that are posted is going to be sorely disappointent.

Pentium II 500 MHz
              512 MB of RAM
              A Blu-ray Drive

As far as I can tell those requirements are fine for the DVD to DVD, but not anywhere adequate for Blu-Ray compression to BD-25. If you posted a suggested setup for best results people won't have as much as a beef to post as it would clearly be posted on the main website what you recommend for optimal results. I had to do some digging before I saw a post of yours saying that you use the GTX 275 as a reference card. Had I seen that sooner I probably would have bought at least a GTX 260 instead of the ATI Raedeon 5770 I chose to get.
              I agree, and we are working on it.
              sigpic

Comment

for video encoder i use software, for decoder i use whatever is defaulted. in my case i have coreavc for h264, cuda for vc1 and software for mpeg2. so far i have had no problems with these settings.

Comment

I use ati cards all the time and no movie takes me 6 hrs. I have an AMD Phenom II X4 3.2ghz B.E (not overclocked) and only 2gbs memory. I was running a ATI HD 2400 Xt.
                  Lancool K-56 case.
                  OCZ 700watt PSU.
                  MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 AM3+.
                  AMD 8 core FX-8120 3.1ghz.
                  ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX cooler.
                  16gb G.skill 1600mhz memory.
                  OCZ Agility 120gb SSD.
                  WD 2TB.
                  EVGA GTX Geforce 550Ti.
                  LGWH12LS38 BD-RE

Comment

Originally posted by unknownbluray View Post
                    I use ati cards all the time and no movie takes me 6 hrs. I have an AMD Phenom II X4 3.2ghz B.E (not overclocked) and only 2gbs memory. I was running a ATI HD 2400 Xt.
                    He uses Processor only for conversions, 6hrs is about right.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
                      He uses Processor only for conversions, 6hrs is about right.
                      ahhh I should read things more carefully.
                      Lancool K-56 case.
                      OCZ 700watt PSU.
                      MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 AM3+.
                      AMD 8 core FX-8120 3.1ghz.
                      ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX cooler.
                      16gb G.skill 1600mhz memory.
                      OCZ Agility 120gb SSD.
                      WD 2TB.
                      EVGA GTX Geforce 550Ti.
                      LGWH12LS38 BD-RE

Comment

Originally posted by DharmaBummed69 View Post

Pentium II 500 MHz
                        512 MB of RAM
                        A Blu-ray Drive

I have the same graphics card and have not experienced your problems.

My configuration:

Dell XPS 435T/9000
                        Intel Core i7 CU 920 @ 2.67 GHz
                        8GB DDR3 SDRAM @ 1066 MHz
                        ATI Radeon HD 5770 w/ 1 GB GDDR5 Video RAM
                        1TB Serial ATA 2 HDD

I don't think it would be in anyones best interest to stipulate that DVDFab requires a nVidia card. There are many things that can affect the results. Nor do I think it should be designed for a specific graphics card.

Another point I would like to make is that I try to avoid compression whenever possible by backing up main movie only on BD25 disc. I don't understand why many on this forum are backing up Blu-ray discs on DVD media. If you don't care about audio and video quality or you don't want to pay $1.50 to $2.00 for a BD25, then why do you care about BD in the first place?

Comment

Not to be off topic but, maybe the people are happy with BD9 now but know in the future as tv's get bigger they might reback it up to BD25 where you can see a difference. On my 46" BD9 is good enough. Better than DVD but hard to tell the difference between that and the original. On my 100" 1080P DLP projector I can tell a diff between BD9 and BD25. Rather than buy a movie like Avatar now on DVD then two years from now buy it on Blu Ray but it now and back it up as a BD9.

Comment

I thought I would I post this for the developers. I saw here that Feng Tao said that DXVA caused jerkiness in the film on some computers. I think this needs to be refined to some computers running Windows 7 as yesterday I tried using Windows 7 for the first time to see if I got different results from my other tries on other Microsoft OS's. The disc in question is Weeds Season 4 Disc 1. I have made copies of this disc using XP Pro 32-bit, Vista Home Premium 32-bit, and Vista Ultimate 64-bit with DXVA and none of those copies have jerky video when playing on either of the computers I've been using for testing. This is the first video I've tried to compress in Windows 7 and I used DVXA specifically because Feng Tao mentioned the jerky video using it and I had never experienced this in PowerDVD with copies I've made until this disc on this operating system.

I figured I mention this as this is a problem I did not see until I specifically used Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit with DXVA in the A/V settings.

Comment

Sailormon. We were talking about for CUDA acceleration. Of course you don't have the same problems as I do with the same video card. You have a Intel i7 920 and I have a Core 2 Duo E7500. As far as I know from what I've read on here what CPU you have seems more important than what video card you have. CPU does the main load and any GPU accleration just helps cut down the time. I know that's why you don't have the same problems with slow compression I do. Go back and compress a Blu-Ray to 25BG with Pentium II 500Mhz processor and come back an tell us how close the total times were together. When I say the recommended specs would be helpful I mean an upgrade to a GTX 260 or 275 would be cheaper than an upgrade to a i7 system as for me the would mean a new motherboard, RAM, and CPU and if I actually get a i7 cpu would be a minimum of $450 dollars and thats being generous breaking down to $100 for a mobo, $100 for the RAM and at least $250 for an i7 cpu. I wish I have unlimited funds to burn like many on here seem to do but I don't. I can upgrade my system or I can pay my rent. I don't know about you but it would be awfully tough to compress my blu-rays living on the street.
                              Last edited by DharmaBummed69; 06-14-2010, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X