Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Main Movie Scan -- File Size Not Accurate.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main Movie Scan -- File Size Not Accurate.

I have been running into a lot of inaccurate file size scans when ripping a main movie only to fit on a BD-R 25 (w/no compression). Even though DVD Fab says the main movie will fit on a BD-R 25 (less than 23.125 GB) it in fact does not thus I have wasted a number of blank BD-R 25 disks.

Here is my latest failed BluRay Rip:

The Love Guru:
    Main Movie Scanned with no subtitles and English AC-3 True HD soundtrack only.
    DVD Fab Scan file size: 22.951 GB
    Actual Files Size in Temp/Main Movie Directory: 23.9 GB (25,745,910,988 bytes)

Here are some other movies I have run into issues with over the last month that DVD Fab says will fit on a BD-R 25 without compression:

Flight Plan
    Gone Baby Gone.
    The House Bunny
    The Grudge

And a few others.

This problem has existed for a while now (not just with version 7.0.7.0). Any insight as to why this is happening and if there might be a fix coming soon?

Thanks!

Using Windows 7 x64
    LG WH10LS30K BluRay Burner
    LG LS20 BluRay Burner
    DVDFab ver. 7.0.7.0 using VSO or Image Burn

No one? Has anyone else encountered this?

Comment

Originally posted by pnapp1 View Post
      No one? Has anyone else encountered this?
      Nope. Because everybody uses ImgBurn as burning engine. You should too. Try and post your result.
      You can find details of setting up here: http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=12
      sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Try copying the Main Movie to the hard drive as an ISO. Then use DVDFab Virtual Drive to mount it and make sure it plays. Then use the Write Data function in DVDFab or ImgBurn as Ipopov50 suggested to burn the ISO to disc. This way you can verify file size and playability before you use a physical disc.

Comment

I do use Image Burn. But I also tried VSO. Same result. When I scan the movies (before burning, ripping or imaging) it says it will fit on a BD-R 25 with no compression. Same exact thing happens no mater what burning engine used. DVD tells me one thing but the actual file size is too big to fit on the BD-R 25.

I have tried these particular movies on two different PC's with the same result.

I always rip to the hard drive first now before committing to a BD-R 25 or 50.

Just to clarify, all my burns work it's just a mater of committing to a BD-R 25 or 50. When the app tells my it will fit on a BD-R 25 I expect it to fit. I never had this problem before version 7.0.4.

Comment

I do use Image Burn. But I also tried VSO. Same result. When I scan the movies (before burning, ripping or imaging) it says it will fit on a BD-R 25 with no compression. Same exact thing happens no mater what burning engine used. DVD tells me one thing but the actual file size is too big to fit on the BD-R 25.

I have tried these particular movies on two different PC's with the same result.

I always rip to the hard drive first now before committing to a BD-R 25 or 50.

Just to clarify, all my burns work it's just a mater of committing to a BD-R 25 or 50. When the app tells my it will fit on a BD-R 25 I expect it to fit. I never had this problem before version 7.0.4.
            Just for sake of experiment. What would happen if you select "Remove HD Audio"? Thx.
            sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

I think I might of stumbled upon the issue. Even though I tell DVDFab to exclude certain soundtracks and subtitles it is still ripping them. I'm going to put me theory to the test and get back to you guys tomorrow with screen shots and results. Since I have the other movies that I had issues with I will test one of those as well.

Comment

Hi pnapp1,

We will check this issue asap.

Best Regards,
                Fengtao
                DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
                http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

So I put my theory to the test and have come up with the following:

Here is the full disk ripped to my HDD (The Love Guru) File Size: 34.895 GB

Here is the info for main movie only (nothing unchecked) File Size: 23.978 GB

Here is the main movie with custom selection to fit on BD-R 25 (AC-3 True HD soundtrack only -- all others unchecked) File Size: 22.951 GB

Here is the rip of the main movie on my HDD that I just did to verify my theory . File Size: 23.9 GB via Windows Explorer.

Continued Below...

Comment

... Continued From Above

Here is the full disk info of the main movie rip I just did. File Size: 23.9 GB (should be 22.951 GB.)

Here is the main movie rip viewed in the main movie only menu after rip. File Size: 22.951 GB.

As you can see there is nothing to chose from other than the AC-3 soundtrack but if you look above at the full disk screen shot (2 above) it says the file size is 23.9 GB. They should be the same file size but aren't. If you look closer, the file size is exactly the same as the original main move scan with nothing unchecked. 23.9 GB

What you can see from the above screen shots is that even thou I have unchecked all soundtracks and subtitles (with the exception of the AC-3 True HD soundtrack) so it would fit on a BD-R 25, it is in fact still ripping the unchecked content even thou it does not show up after the rip. This is confirmed by the match in file size.

I have also confirmed this with Gone Baby Gone but the difference in file size was much more significant. If you would like to see screen shots of this one too, just ask. If you need me to clarify anything I would be happy to explain further.

Thanks again for the help and look forward to a fix.

Comment

pnapp1
                      I have a favor to ask.
                      So, you have rip that suppose to be 23 gig, yet it's 25 gig, and theory is that DVDFab is still ripping unchecked streams and adding them to a rip.
                      However, it could be miscalculation, and simple test will help.
                      Please open that 25 gig rip with BDInfo and we'll see how many streams is in there. If there's more than one audio stream - your theory is correct, if there is one audio - we would know that it's DVDFab miscalculation . This will help developers to identify problem.

Please google for BDInfo, it's a small, handy, free utility.
                      sigpic

Comment

NP! I will do this as soon as I get home.

Comment

Here you go. Looks like they are still there.

To confirm this is the main movie rip with only the AC-3 HD soundtrack selected (all other soundtracks and subtitles not selected) that was supposed to be 22.951 GB. As you can see by the BD Info screen shot it is really 23.9 GB or 25,745,823,744 bytes and the two other soundtracks are still there even thou I did not select them.

Hope this helps.
                          Last edited by pnapp1; 06-23-2010, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Here you go. Looks like they are still there.

To confirm this is the main movie rip with only the AC-3 HD soundtrack selected (all other soundtracks and subtitles not selected) that was supposed to be 22.951 GB. As you can see by the BD Info screen shot it is really 23.9 GB or 25,745,823,744 bytes and the two other soundtracks are still there even thou I did not select them.

Hope this helps.
                            pnapp1,
                            Excellent, now we know that's not calculation issue but glitch in selection.
                            If I may ask you for one more thing. It will help to narrow the glitch even further down.
                            (1) Please open DVDFab without loading any files.
                            (2) Go to "Setting" ->Streams ->Audio -> Deselect all streams except English (in rightmost window you will see only English); Then continue to -> Subpicture and tick option "Do not preselect any subpicture track"
                            click OK, exit setup and restart DVDFab.
                            Try to rip again and see what happened. Please post back your results. Thx.
                            sigpic

Comment

pnapp1, thanks for all your work.

Comment

Working...
                              X