Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blu-ray to standard DVD disc player, possible?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blu-ray to standard DVD disc player, possible?

First, wow, what a great product you have. I am having so much fun backing up my Blu-Ray disc's so the kids can do what they want with them and I don't have to worry about it.

I know that the Blu-ray to Blu-ray option allows you to compress a Blu-Ray disc down to fit on a single sided DVD (4.7gbs)...but when you do this, it WON'T play on a standard, NON-Blu-ray DVD player...anyway to convert a Blu-Ray disc to play on a non-blu-ray drive with your software?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, this isn't doable.
    Many of us opt to use Blu-ray to Mobile rather than burn to Blu-ray or standard dvd9/dvd5.

This will involve the use of a media player, but has many advantages.
    I've just started to do this myself during the past couple months.
    Similarly, I also use DVD to Mobile.

I can't begin to tell you how much of an improvement this is as opposed to burning discs...which I still do sometimes
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

The Blu-ray to DVD is on the to do list and no time frame as to when it available. Check out the link below to see about that

Until it is available you could always buy the Blu-rays that are a combo pack with DVD or do what maineman mentioned above as that is probably what I will start doing soon since I am just starting to buy Blu-ray now

Comment

Thanks everyone...I look forward to it being in a future update.

In the other post a user asks why would you want to rip a blu-ray disc to play on a standare 480 dvd....well as others suggested, we have dvd players in the cars, rv's, laptops, and friends houses that do not have blu-ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Chase View Post
          Thanks everyone...I look forward to it being in a future update.

In the other post a user asks why would you want to rip a blu-ray disc to play on a standare 480 dvd....well as others suggested, we have dvd players in the cars, rv's, laptops, and friends houses that do not have blu-ray.
          Yes not everyone can afford to buy multiple Blu-ray players for every TV or vehicle equipped for it

Anyway your welcome and hopefully this will be a feature for DVDFab soon

Comment

In order to play on a standard DVD wouldn't the format have to be converted? Also isn't there the likely hood of picture degradation due to the compression and format of a standard DVD?

Asking out of ignorance of the technical issues involved.

P.S. Being able to back up to a DL/SL DVD is great! Money well spent.
            Last edited by Zontor; 06-26-2010, 01:04 PM. Reason: Added comment
            You guys are great!

Comment

Originally posted by Zontor View Post
              In order to play on a standard DVD wouldn't the format have to be converted? Also isn't there the likely hood of picture degradation due to the compression and format of a standard DVD?

Asking out of ignorance of the technical issues involved.

P.S. Being able to back up to a DL/SL DVD is great! Money well spent.
              Picture quality YES...you would be going from 720p or 1080p of the blu-ray down to 420p at best for standard DVD...

The software can already convert from blu-ray to ipod, ipad, mp4, etc, so it should just be a matter of adding a converter to the software to go from blu-ray to dvd....but than again I am just a user and not a programer.

Comment

We are working on "Blu-ray to DVD", please be patient, thanks.
                DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
                http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Originally posted by fengtao View Post
                  We are working on "Blu-ray to DVD", please be patient, thanks.
                  I know...I wasn't complaining

Comment

MaineMan questions

Originally posted by maineman View Post
                    Unfortunately, this isn't doable.
                    Many of us opt to use Blu-ray to Mobile rather than burn to Blu-ray or standard dvd9/dvd5.

This will involve the use of a media player, but has many advantages.
                    I've just started to do this myself during the past couple months.
                    Similarly, I also use DVD to Mobile.

I can't begin to tell you how much of an improvement this is as opposed to burning discs...which I still do sometimes
                    Do you use Blu-ray to Mobile to compress the files for serving from a Media Server? What file size do you set and what is the quality like? Are you compressing it small enough to also use in other mobile devices as well? I assume that there is a point of diminishing returns of compression vs picture quality and where have you found that to be?

Comment

Let's go through a couple of things here....

Both maineman and I are old farts (I am 60+, wear glasses and have had shithouse eyesight all my life) and I have only just converted him to the "Media Player" concept a few months ago and he is now a "Media Player" zealot...

As most of the forum knows, I have been for the last 8 years!!!

There are too many factors involved and subjective opinions to give a definitive answer. It really comes down to what YOU are happy with and the only way I established what I was happy with was by considerable testing with various equipment that I have available to me and by conducting random tests with friends/family when they were around.

I'll give you a synopsis of a discussion that my moderator colleague & good friend, IPopov50 had just recently via email about the subject,

Using a Samsung LA52A850 (52" HD TV with inbuilt media player) as the display, seated at 5 metres (~16 feet) using various media players, DVD Players and Blu-Ray Players and a test group of about 15 friends/family.

Test titles "Aeon Flux", "BladeRunner", "Alien", "Avatar" & a few others.

DVD ripped to HDD and converted to MKV & DVD Res @ 1400 bitrate audiocopy, ~1.3Gb
                      BR ripped to HDD & converted to MKV, DD5.1 @~6000 Bitrate, ~12Gb
                      BR ripped to HDD & converted to MKV, passthrough, ~25+Gb

All my test subjects agreed that the the original BR Player to the TV was the best by a factor of 10%

The test subjects could not pick the difference betwen the DVD & the MKV made from the DVD,

The test subjects could not differentiate between the original BR or either MKV's made from the BR.

Comparing the DVD MKV's Vs the BR MKV's, the MAXIMUM quality difference noted was 10%.

When all were asked whether they were asked would they pay between 10 and 25 times the price for the increase of 10% in quality, the unequivocal answer was "NO"

As I said, there is no definitive answer, you really have to determine this for yourself and your target audience,

Hope this helps and hope I haven't been too long winded.

Regards
                      GB

BTW: I hate this BR sh1t !!!
                      Last edited by GregiBoy; 07-16-2010, 08:17 AM.
                      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Gregiboy - thank you for your response. It is pretty much what I expected I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing an easier way to store the files. I bought a media server to store my ripped DVD's but then more movies became available in Blu-ray and now the misses complains when we watch 1080i video feed. So I suspect that too much compression is not going to fly here. We are also old enough that the thought of watching on a 2.5" or even a computer screen is not really going to fly. Though figuring out how to share kids movies to every available device in the House/Car etc.. is going to have to happen at some point, but that seems like mulptiple rips into different file sizes for differnt devices.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                        X