This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speeding Up Burning Process

Blu-ray to Blu-ray w/ Blu-ray PC Build ; Intel core 2 Duo 3Ghz, 2 Gb 1066 memory , GeForce GT 240 DDR5 , XP PRO 3Bit , LG GGW H20L burner .. Seeking Experience & Skilled Advisor ! Help ? Every Blu-ray Burn plays back well .. I'm wondering what I should ( if anything ) do to speed up burn time of Blu-ray Movies .. For now I'm using BD-R 25Gb to Burn Movie Only Copies .

I'm not sure what you mean by "speed up burn time"... if you mean actual burning already converted content, I wouldn't recommend speeding up, but rather going with half of rated speed. Remember, slower burning speed = better quality (less coasters). If you mean conversion process in whole, engaging GPU in your process will speed up significantly. You have very good CUDA-enabled videocard, so you can use GPU acceleration option in DVDFab.Your CPU isn't most powerful however, so you might need to set you card to single-GPU to make sure CPU have enough juice to manage the process.

Originally posted by MERX2006 View Post
    Blu-ray to Blu-ray w/ Blu-ray PC Build ; Intel core 2 Duo 3Ghz, 2 Gb 1066 memory , GeForce GT 240 DDR5 , XP PRO 3Bit , LG GGW H20L burner .. Seeking Experience & Skilled Advisor ! Help ? Every Blu-ray Burn plays back well .. I'm wondering what I should ( if anything ) do to speed up burn time of Blu-ray Movies .. For now I'm using BD-R 25Gb to Burn Movie Only Copies .
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

It's the Conversion Process I wish I could improve .. The GPU Acceleration is enabled .. Are you saying CPU isn't fast enough ? (what Ghz. do you recommend & what results can I expect ) Are you suggesting Quad Core is faster . ( If that's the case what Ghz. in Quad?) Bare w/ me .. I'll get it straight after your reply .

Comment

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying - i7 Quad is a great piece hardware for what we trying to do. CUDA process requires a lot of processing power for proper, seamless process management. Any of i7 chips will do the job for you. You can look at my post #65 here: http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.p...4316#post44316
        it will give some idea.
        IMO, for your GPU something like this:

or this:

will be a very good match.
        I have i7 920 with my GTX295 card, and it little bit short on power, but OK with me, it giving me on BD to Mobile (MKV) conversion around 45-50 fps (about half of the length of the movie in time).
        More memory wouldn't hurt either. I figured 1 gig system memory per thread + 1 gig of system memory per GPU (you have two of them) is a bare minimum (for you is 4+2=6 gig or more).
        I hope this will help, and you always free to ask more questions...

It's the Conversion Process I wish I could improve .. The GPU Acceleration is enabled .. Are you saying CPU isn't fast enough ? (what Ghz. do you recommend & what results can I expect ) Are you suggesting Quad Core is faster . ( If that's the case what Ghz. in Quad?) Bare w/ me .. I'll get it straight after your reply .
        Last edited by IPopov50; 07-12-2010, 03:39 PM. Reason: adding
        sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

THE COST OF THE NEW BOARD & RECOMMENDED CPU ISN'T FINACIALLY POSSIBLE . THANKS .. My needs for Blu to Blu are Movie Copy Only .. I believe you have been most helpful .. I've been laid-off since 01/'10 w/ my department closing .. No great job in forseeable future .. I feel uncomfortable thinking about a new Build .. My MoBo will support Q9650 .

Comment

I understand!!! What is your current performance levels?? What speed are you getting for Main Movie conversion? Try to set your card to single GPU and disable PhysX, see if that helps. Pls let me know.

THE COST OF THE NEW BOARD & RECOMMENDED CPU ISN'T FINACIALLY POSSIBLE . THANKS .. My needs for Blu to Blu are Movie Copy Only .. I believe you have been most helpful .. I've been laid-off since 01/'10 w/ my department closing .. No great job in forseeable future .. I feel uncomfortable thinking about a new Build .. My MoBo will support Q9650 .
            sigpic

Comment

setting card to single gpu or not is moot as dvdfab only uses one gpu anyways.

Comment

thisizbrian,
                I can't agree with you on this. DVDFab does, in fact uses both GPUs (my GPU monitor shows activity on both GPUs), but CPU can't effectively maintain adequate workload on both GPUs and run CUDA script at the same time. i7 (starts about 875) perfectly capable and up to task. My machine with new i7 920 and GTX295 card proving it.
                BTW, I owe you response, sorry for delay... you know..

Originally posted by thisizbrian View Post
                setting card to single gpu or not is moot as dvdfab only uses one gpu anyways.
                sigpic

Comment

I hear you MERX2006. I'm in the same boat. At around $400-500 for MB, RAM, and CPU I'll be waiting till tax time for my meager return to put towards a i7 system. I bumped up to Q9300 not the best I know but I picked it up for $135 and performs better than my E7500 2.93 GHZ C2D. Not i7 performance but it brought me up to 1.5 to 2.0Mb average and dropped my encode times from 9-12 hours to 5-8 for Full Disc BD-25. Only bummer is that using CUDA from my 8500 GT actually slows down the process. Using CoreAVC to decode can also shave 1/2 to 1 hour off your time usually.

Comment

If your current system is upgradable to quad core you will see some improvement. I went from duo to quad and saw noticeable gains. But eventually I hit my patience wall again and upgraded to corei7 and saw a huge improvement. GPU stuff works and helps but I found DVDFab to still use a lot of CPU power. I haven't had anything even cause a blip on my GTX 480. Waiting for eveyone to catch up on support I guess.

Comment

Fermi-based cards aren't working just yet because CUDA 3.0 isn't supported by DVDFab. As far as I know, devs are working on it.

Originally posted by irishgrunt View Post
                      If your current system is upgradable to quad core you will see some improvement. I went from duo to quad and saw noticeable gains. But eventually I hit my patience wall again and upgraded to corei7 and saw a huge improvement. GPU stuff works and helps but I found DVDFab to still use a lot of CPU power. I haven't had anything even cause a blip on my GTX 480. Waiting for eveyone to catch up on support I guess.
                      sigpic

Comment

I've lost a link to the experienced ripper who listed all Blu-ray Movies that'll burn in " Movie Only ' Mode to 25Gb bd-r .. Can you help me find list ? I'm not searching for " Blu-raystats.com " .. Thanks .

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
                          I understand!!! What is your current performance levels?? What speed are you getting for Main Movie conversion? Try to set your card to single GPU and disable PhysX, see if that helps. Pls let me know.
                          " Inglorious Bastars " start to finish 90 mins & "Iron Man" 120 mins. .. Both Complete Movie Copies on 50Gb 2x BD-r .. I wish I could afford thw 9650 .. You really got me wondering about i7. WOW!

Comment

Working...
                          X