This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD25 "Pitch Black" won't play on stand alone player

I ripped Pitch Black to hard drive with DVDFAB at the size of 30.3GB, then from that directory I compressed to BD25 1080p (Full Disc) to output to another directory on my drive at 22.2GB size. Then I tried burning the compressed files to BD25-RE disc and it won't play on my Panasonic DMP-BD80. Instead I get this when loading the disc:

Play Video (AVCHD)
    Play Pictures (JPEG)

I choose Play Video, then few seconds of player reading the disc, then player stops and nothing. Tried a Panasonic, TDK, and Memorex brand and all have same result.

I can play the disc on the pc with the Media Player Classic 64-bit version, but the disc starts not from the beginning, but I think a chapter or two into the movie.

My OS is Vista Ultimate 64 bit on a E8500 processor and 8GB Ram. Burning on LG GGW-H20L drive. I have attached logs from my last attempt.

All boxes are checked under Protection settings of Blu-Ray section. I set my player to write with ImgBurn at 1x speed. I had to adjust BD-25 size from 23700 to 23000 since initially I was getting write errors indicating not enough disc space. Video Decoder and Encoders all set to software (I have an ATI 4870 card). What am I forgetting?

I had a successful burn with Poltergeist (Full Disc) and it played no problems on the Panasonic, but then it as only around 20GB large and needed no compression.

Just started backing up BD's so I'm still learning, but getting frustrated as each try takes about 10 to 11 hrs in between.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by tsplano View Post

All boxes are checked under Protection settings of Blu-Ray section. I set my player to write with ImgBurn at 1x speed. I had to adjust BD-25 size from 23700 to 23000 since initially I was getting write errors indicating not enough disc space. Video Decoder and Encoders all set to software (I have an ATI 4870 card). What am I forgetting?
    Try to make sure that under "Blu-ray to Blu-ray" in "Common Settings" you have selected "Create Restrict compatible AVCHD...."
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

That was already selected, but isn't that just for burning to dvd?

Comment

Yes you right, my bad. You are not compressing to BD9 but BD25.
        When you output your BD25, what subfolders do you see in your movie folder? (i.e. BDMV, what else?)

That was already selected, but isn't that just for burning to dvd?
        sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

I have the following folders -

BDMV
          CERTIFICATE

Files exist in both folders.

Comment

This is not AVCHD format. This is BR format. Something isn't right with the way your player handles it.
            Also, when you were trying to play it with MPC, did you play off disc or off m2ts?

I have the following folders -

BDMV
            CERTIFICATE

Files exist in both folders.
            sigpic

Comment

Just thought I'd jump in here after reading the title and posts. Pilot57 and I are having the same no playing problem with the Panasonic DMP BD-60. I know his is a later version but still in the Panasonic BD family. Pilot57 said one of his discs was working after 7.0.7.9b. Also he tried using a SD card as I had read somewhere that our DMP BD series doesn't have on board storage and some discs need a SD card to offload files to it before the disc will play. He wasn't sure if it was the SD card or the new beta that worked. The SD card didn't work for me with my back up made from 7.0.7.8b and I haven't tried 7.0.7.9b backup yet as it brought back the video glitching I was getting in 7.0.7.7 and added the too big ISO output that the OP is reporting and I have not had the too big ISO output before 7.0.7.9b. I think the Panasonic DMP series is one of the few eft that DVDfab is having standalone compatibility issues with. Would like to hear from other Panasonic DMP owners to how their player are doing with DVDfab back-ups. I realize the sometimes the problem can be with a persons computer which is why I test on 2 different set-ups and multiple OS's. The chances of it being my hardware go down if I can reproduce the error on mutiple set-ups. At least it's harder to suggest it's my hardware if I try mutiplile set-ups
              Last edited by DharmaBummed69; 07-15-2010, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
                This is not AVCHD format. This is BR format. Something isn't right with the way your player handles it.
                Also, when you were trying to play it with MPC, did you play off disc or off m2ts?
                On my pc, I played it off the disc, but skipped ahead some chapters.

Originally posted by DharmaBummed69 View Post
                ... Also he tried using a SD card as I had read somewhere that our DMP BD series doesn't have on board storage and some discs need a SD card to offload files to it before the disc will play. He wasn't sure if it was the SD card or the new beta that worked.
                The original disc played fine on my BD-80. But, if the SD card was needed, wouldn't that have been queried by the player from the original disc?

I did read from another thread about replacing the certificate folder with the original after the compression. Decided to give that a try last night, burnt the disc and went to sleep. Tried the disc this morning and still got the Panasonic menu options -

Play Video (AVCHD)
                Play Pictures (JPEG)

This time though, when I selected to Play Video, the disc worked!

But I still want to figure out why I'm getting that menu. Just thinking now, I wonder if the "fast load" feature on the player, or whatever Panasonic calls it, has something to do with it.

Comment

The disc I read about the SD card was Starship Troopers. Do a google of DMP-BD60 and Starship Troopers something about BD profile 1.1 and 2.0. Pitch Black, Starship Troopers, and Star Trek S1 have 1.1 Bonus View and 2.0 BDLive. This is from the tech specs on Hi Def Digest. The OP in the thread did not report getting a prompt to insert a SD card, just that the movie wouldn't play. The first result has a explanation to why this is. Plus this was just a suggestion for trouble shooting not an established proven fix.
                  Last edited by DharmaBummed69; 07-15-2010, 02:11 PM.

Comment

This time though, when I selected to Play Video, the disc worked!

But I still want to figure out why I'm getting that menu. Just thinking now, I wonder if the "fast load" feature on the player, or whatever Panasonic calls it, has something to do with it.
                    As I said in my previous post, there seems nothing wrong with your content, but you player most likely a suspect. Please take a look if there is a new firmware for your model. Your player shows some instability in content handling, so usually it's easy to detect and cure with firmware update.
                    sigpic

Comment

I do remember BD live being one of the menu features on the disc when I tested it this morning. I pretty much keep my player updated on firmware so it is on the most recent release, but I'll double check. I also have updated the LG burner firware as well. I'm starting to think this is an issue specific to Panasonic players since others have noted problems on their Panasonic DMP BDxx line.

I'll have to go try both versions of the discs I burned on my old-man's Sony BDP-BX37 and see it handles them. I'll try the SD card too on the BD-80 when I get home from work.

Here's specs on BD-80 if anyone was curious -

Comment

I have Panasonic DMP BD605 of my own. NEVER had a single problem. Never updated firmware either Go figure....
                        sigpic

Comment

Yeah but isn't that like comparing the Ford Pinto to the Mustang? I will say the SD card did nothing from me but I figured I'd mention it cause you never know what might work. I'm wondering if it's because the 60 and 80 are earlier models. Some tech that comes out when the process is in it's infancy has more bugs than later generations after they've got it down a bit better. After reading up on the 605 it looks like it's not much older than the 60. One review said they think it is BD-60 redux.
                          Last edited by DharmaBummed69; 07-15-2010, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DharmaBummed69 View Post
                            Yeah but isn't that like comparing the Ford Pinto to the Mustang? I will say the SD card did nothing from me but I figured I'd mention it cause you never know what might work. I'm wondering if it's because the 60 and 80 are earlier models. Some tech that comes out when the process is in it's infancy has more bugs than later generations after they've got it down a bit better. After reading up on the 605 it looks like it's not much older than the 60. One review said they think it is BD-60 redux.
                            I really don't know what are you talking about. I seriously don't. Which one is Mustang? I only have one BD Player (Panasonic) that I randomly picked up in Costco long ago, and I have no idea is it good or bad. As you may notice, I'm (like GregiBoy) hard drive- mediaplayer guy and use BD player occasionally to verify BD9 rips. I know very little about stand-alongs and didn't spent much time on research.
                            sigpic

Comment

Sorry some american humor. The Ford Pinto is a car notoriously known for the gas tank exploding when hit from behind and considered to be the worst car Ford produced and the Mustang is considered by many to be the best car produced by Ford and a classic. Just becasue the both came from Ford didn't make them both good. i.e even a good company can lay a lemon. Also read in the article about the 605 that is was exclusive to Costco and Sam's Club.
                              Last edited by DharmaBummed69; 07-15-2010, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X