This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Streaks Across the Screen

I am a certified PC technician. I have been backing up my standard dvd collection over the past year with no problems with software other than dvdfab. I then started buying blu-ray movies and thought it would be as easy (but longer) to back them up. I've been using fab v.7.0.8.0 (and earlier releases) and it seems no matter what I try I get splotchy color backups if Fab has to do compression. without compression, there seems to be no problems (but still a work in progress).

My latest failure is The Mask Of Zorro. I only backup the main movie. After selecting only the DTS sound and english subtitle it came out to be approx a 28gb file to a bd25. The backup takes about 7 hrs on my system. the results are splotchy bands of slight color streaks across the entire screen, horizontally.

I have tried the slow (better quality) and enable full scan and results are exactly the same. I have an athlon x2 64 (4200+) w/ 2gb ram. A 1 GB pci-e card and a pioneer 205 burner (brand new, latest firmware). My video equip. is top notch pioneer elite plasma with all elite audio and players.

This is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. I truly believe I should get a refund from the lifetime subscription. Its one thing if I was having this problem on a 30 minute burn, but experimenting over 7 hours is becoming a waste of time. FIX THE DARN SOFTWARE!
    PennsylvaniaRon
    \\\\|////
    ~ÖÖ~
    ----oOOo-(_)-oOOo----

Well not much the forum staff here can do about refunds and by the way DVDFab is shareware which means you try before you buy as they give you a 30 day fully functional program to try and test to see if it what you want and need.

If you want refund contact DVDFab sales support from the DVDFab website or if you want this problem figured out post your logs and someone on the forum here will try and get it to work for you

Comment

Go to Common Settings ->General ->A/V Codec -> set everything to "software" and try again.
      Your problem is not a DVDFab, but inability of you hardware to perform GPU acceleration. Please send your complaint to AMD/ATI.
      sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Even if your not impressed with the compression part the real value is in the Decrypting. That is the tricky part. Many ways to compress. Give us more info about your system and settings. the mods and members will get it up and working correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by pennsylvaniaron View Post
          I am a certified PC technician. I have been backing up my standard dvd collection over the past year with no problems with software other than dvdfab. I then started buying blu-ray movies and thought it would be as easy (but longer) to back them up. I've been using fab v.7.0.8.0 (and earlier releases) and it seems no matter what I try I get splotchy color backups if Fab has to do compression. without compression, there seems to be no problems (but still a work in progress).

My latest failure is The Mask Of Zorro. I only backup the main movie. After selecting only the DTS sound and english subtitle it came out to be approx a 28gb file to a bd25. The backup takes about 7 hrs on my system. the results are splotchy bands of slight color streaks across the entire screen, horizontally.

I have tried the slow (better quality) and enable full scan and results are exactly the same. I have an athlon x2 64 (4200+) w/ 2gb ram. A 1 GB pci-e card and a pioneer 205 burner (brand new, latest firmware). My video equip. is top notch pioneer elite plasma with all elite audio and players.

This is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. I truly believe I should get a refund from the lifetime subscription. Its one thing if I was having this problem on a 30 minute burn, but experimenting over 7 hours is becoming a waste of time. FIX THE DARN SOFTWARE!
          being a certified PC technician you should know what to do.
          I am not a certified PC technician but I read and learn and able
          to back up my blu-ray movie.Yes at first backing up a BD movie
          would take up to 5hr after some upgrades now with my setting
          21/2hr 3hr even less if I change to (fast/normal quality) about
          2hr to compress 32GB to BD25.problem not with DVDfab check
          for pc upgrades.BD is not like DVD.
          Windows 7 64bit ultimate
          CPU: i7 4770K @4.5 vcore@1.28v temps 27c/67c
          RAM: 16GB DDR3 @2133
          GPU: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB
          SSD: 2 X 60GB OCZ vertex 3 RAID 0 (boot drive)
          HHD: 1 TB WD BLK (storage and back up)
          PSU: 760W ,Fans 1x200mm and 2x120mm

Comment

Ok, calm down. Did it ever occur to you that your problems may be a function of trying to scrunch a BD-50 down to a BD-25 rather than some shortcoming of the software?? Think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
              Well not much the forum staff here can do about refunds and by the way DVDFab is shareware which means you try before you buy as they give you a 30 day fully functional program to try and test to see if it what you want and need.

If you want refund contact DVDFab sales support from the DVDFab website or if you want this problem figured out post your logs and someone on the forum here will try and get it to work for you
              Mr. moderator. The reason for my subject title was to get attention and I thank those who have responded. Apparently if others are not having a problem with compression it has to be my system or the Fab settings. I believe I'm using all defaults. Again its hard to experiment because it takes so long to decode/decrypt. It's just so frustrating. I realize this system is getting a little older now but an Athlon 4200+ with 2gb ram and a dedicated pci-e card with 1gb memory is not powerful enough?? I'm also using ritek blank media from Meritline but have tried burning the file to a TDK BDRW with the same results. I use Imgburn.

I cant remember exactly what fab says after the initial scan. but its something like gpu acceleration or whatever the better setting is supposed to be, thats what starts, relating to my video card. Sorry to be vague but its late and I'll be away this week. I'll try the ALL software settings and see if that makes a difference. I built an Intel i5 machine for my wife and can put the pioneer blu ray burner in it and download the trial version. That will eliminate my computer from the mix. But she has built-in graphics. Dont know if that will make a difference either. I will have email service all week if anyone wishes to comment. Regards...

ps. I'm going to try changing the setting in common setting ALL to software as the moderator suggested overnight. here is what it my settings are for my hardware in the av/codec for my computer:
              Graphics Chipset :
              NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

Supported Video Codecs :
              CUDA_MODE_H264
              CUDA_MODE_VC1
              DXVA_MODE_H264

CoreAVC : is detected.
              Last edited by pennsylvaniaron; 07-19-2010, 04:07 AM. Reason: additional info
              PennsylvaniaRon
              \\\\|////
              ~ÖÖ~
              ----oOOo-(_)-oOOo----

Comment

try all software like IPopov50 mentioned and if you install on your wife's computer do the same change to all software to try.

Your computer looks like it meets the basic system requirements for DVDFab Blu-ray to Blu-ray and below is the system requirements that are needed for DVDFab to do Blu-ray to Blu-ray

System Requirements

Basic:
                Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000 (32-bit/64-bit)
                Pentium II 500 MHz
                512 MB of RAM
                A Blu-ray Drive
                Internet Connection

Recommended:
                Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000 (32-bit/64-bit)
                Core 2 Quad and above
                2 GB of RAM
                nVidia GeForce GTX 260 and above
                A Blu-ray Drive
                Internet Connection

Comment

Title updated to be more informative.

Comment

ps. I'm going to try changing the setting in common setting ALL to software as the moderator suggested overnight. here is what it my settings are for my hardware in the av/codec for my computer:
                    Graphics Chipset :
                    NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

Supported Video Codecs :
                    CUDA_MODE_H264
                    CUDA_MODE_VC1
                    DXVA_MODE_H264

Well, knowing more details of your machine, etc. I want to slightly edit my previous recommendations.
                    First of all, it seems either you multitasking computer while processing or you have background process running without you knowing that. Please check that and disable background processes. From my own experience, AV, Firewall, Task Manager, update checkers, and some CPU/GPU monitors are very harmful for video processing.
                    In terms of A/V Codec settings, I would recommend following:
                    Decoder:
                    H264 - CoreAVC
                    VC1 - CUDA
                    MPEG2 - Software

Encoder - Software+CUDA

If problems persist, change VC1 Decoder and Encoder to "Software". CoreAVC however proven as one the best codecs out there.
                    sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
                      Well, knowing more details of your machine, etc. I want to slightly edit my previous recommendations.
                      First of all, it seems either you multitasking computer while processing or you have background process running without you knowing that. Please check that and disable background processes. From my own experience, AV, Firewall, Task Manager, update checkers, and some CPU/GPU monitors are very harmful for video processing.
                      In terms of A/V Codec settings, I would recommend following:
                      Decoder:
                      H264 - CoreAVC
                      VC1 - CUDA
                      MPEG2 - Software

Encoder - Software+CUDA

If problems persist, change VC1 Decoder and Encoder to "Software". CoreAVC however proven as one the best codecs out there.
                      thanks all for the very good information I am getting. let me say that on Sunday night I changed all the settings to SOFTWARE but the decoding will now take some 18 hours. I had to leave for vacation so I left it running monday morning and set DVDFAB to shut off the machine automatically. I will not have an answer till I return this Sunday.

If it does work I will be happy but disappointed in making 18hr backups. I have AVG 9 running in the background and nothing much else that is memory instensive but I'll disable that. I'm not sure but the settings you suggested is what I believe I'm using. again wont know till I return.

If this should happen to work in my wife's machine I will definitely build myself a top of the line AMD rig (6 core, 8gb ram, DDR 5 video etc)
                      regards...
                      PennsylvaniaRon
                      \\\\|////
                      ~ÖÖ~
                      ----oOOo-(_)-oOOo----

Comment

Set to software worked!!

Hello again:

I'm back from vacation. I found my machine powered off and the dvd tray extended out (thank you Fab) with the Mask Of Zorro in its tray. I got out my TDK BDRW and used Imgburn on the newly encoded file which I used Software as the encoding settings. I'll admit I wasn't confident that the streaking would be eliminated.

But guess what. Yes all streaking gone. I watched 1/2 the movie and checked other chapters and its a perfect backup. Well of course I'm extremely happy but using this method probably took 18+ hrs. I don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face but IMHO that is just too long to do a backup. Again this only seems to happen when compression is needed, but most movies seem to be 25GB+. And thanks to all who pointed out using this method to eliminate (to a large extent) my machine and/or Fab being the culprit.

I will try decoding this movie in a more updated machine (my wife's i5 with ddr3 memory etc.) But does anyone know why in my machine I seem to have to set everything to SOFTWARE in the a/v codec section to eliminate this streaking when my hardware is:
                        Graphics Chipset :
                        NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

Supported Video Codecs :
                        CUDA_MODE_H264
                        CUDA_MODE_VC1
                        DXVA_MODE_H264

regards!!!
                        PennsylvaniaRon
                        \\\\|////
                        ~ÖÖ~
                        ----oOOo-(_)-oOOo----

Comment

pennsylvaniaron,
                          you seems ignored my suggestion in post #10:
                          "In terms of A/V Codec settings, I would recommend following:
                          Decoder:
                          H264 - CoreAVC
                          VC1 - CUDA
                          MPEG2 - Software
                          Encoder - Software+CUDA"

However, please try it. In response to your question why, there are few reasons why it might happen, most common are two:
                          (1) background processes and/or computer multitasking while processing. AV, Firewall, Task Manager, some system monitors are particularly harmful (i.e. every time invasive CPU/GPU monitor reads info, it interrupt process and creates artifacts)
                          (2) CPU is not powerful enough to keep up with CUDA management.
                          If (2) is a cause, turning off CUDA (switching all to software) usually helps... so you can take from here...
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
                            pennsylvaniaron,
                            you seems ignored my suggestion in post #10:
                            "In terms of A/V Codec settings, I would recommend following:
                            Decoder:
                            H264 - CoreAVC
                            VC1 - CUDA
                            MPEG2 - Software
                            Encoder - Software+CUDA"

However, please try it. In response to your question why, there are few reasons why it might happen, most common are two:
                            (1) background processes and/or computer multitasking while processing. AV, Firewall, Task Manager, some system monitors are particularly harmful (i.e. every time invasive CPU/GPU monitor reads info, it interrupt process and creates artifacts)
                            (2) CPU is not powerful enough to keep up with CUDA management.
                            If (2) is a cause, turning off CUDA (switching all to software) usually helps... so you can take from here...
                            Right now I am trying all SOFTWARE again but changed the setting from slow higher quaility to the fast setting. According to the time clock it looks like a 12 hour decode (better than 18 hours). I'm 9 hours into and when it finishes I will try your settings and let it decode overnight. I will report back tomorrow. also will try all the defaults tomorrow in my wifes more powerful machine. regards...
                            PennsylvaniaRon
                            \\\\|////
                            ~ÖÖ~
                            ----oOOo-(_)-oOOo----

Comment

Right now I am trying all SOFTWARE again but changed the setting from slow higher quaility to the fast setting. According to the time clock it looks like a 12 hour decode (better than 18 hours). I'm 9 hours into and when it finishes I will try your settings and let it decode overnight. I will report back tomorrow. also will try all the defaults tomorrow in my wifes more powerful machine. regards...
                              Using the all SOFTWARE settings in the a/v codec section but changing it to FAST Speed/Normal quality gives me a perfect backup, but it took 11+ hours. (better than 18 hours with the slow setting).

I will now decode the movie using the default settings as per the moderators suggestion. I will report back tomorrow on how that backup comes out.
                              regards...
                              PennsylvaniaRon
                              \\\\|////
                              ~ÖÖ~
                              ----oOOo-(_)-oOOo----

Comment

Working...
                              X