This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

compression times? is this normal?

when trying to compress a bluray down to copy just the main film from 30gb to fit on a 25 gb bdr it's taking me around 8 hours to compress? is that normal?

heres my set up and any advice or pointers you can give me for properly setting up dvdfab would be most appreciated

windows vista 64 bit
    pentium dual core e5300 @ 2.6 ghz
    4gb ram
    nvidia 9400gt gpu with 1gb onboard memory

Originally posted by brianjdc View Post
    when trying to compress a bluray down to copy just the main film from 30gb to fit on a 25 gb bdr it's taking me around 8 hours to compress? is that normal?
    My setup usually takes btween 1hr 15min and 2 hrs, with average at 1hr 35 or so ..

I have an i7 930
    6Gig Ram
    Sata3 1 TB HDD
    HTX260 vid

Mick

PS turning off CUDA takes about 30% longer for me.

Comment

brianjdc: Thats probably about right for your hardware, since shrinking blu rays is very processor intensive and you are using an older dual core. If your video card supports CUDA acceleration, you should be able to go into DVDFabs settings and use it, and that would speed it up for you, but it might already be turned on. Click the little green box in the top right corner of DVDFab then go to A/V codecs and tell us everything that it says.
      SPECS
      DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
      SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

hey guys thanks for all the help. i didnt realize how much more intensive compressing bluray vs dvd was. guess i'll just compress overnight.

heres my settings incase theres anything to tweek

video decoder
        h.264 cuda
        vc1 cuda
        mpeg2 software

video encoder
        h.264 software + cuda

codec information
        Graphics Chipset :
        NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT

Supported Video Codecs :
        CUDA_MODE_H264
        CUDA_MODE_VC1

CoreAVC : cannot be detected.

Comment

Yup thats about as good of a time as you're going to get then buddy. All your settings are right. You would probably have to upgrade your hardware if you wanted faster times.
          SPECS
          DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
          SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

i appreciate the speedy answers!

Comment

Try software instead of Cuda and see if it is faster as well. I found that on some of my builds software compressed faster than using Cuda support on my old Quad and Dual cores. CoreAVC worked even faster but I had a GTS 250 card so the CUDA conversions were slow. As mentioned when I went to Corei7 the times were dramatically cut in half except I upgraded to the GTX 480 and the 4 series are not supported yet for Cuda but between the new CPU and software only I'm still half the time at about 1 hour 30 minutes.

Dual core average was 5-6 hours.
              Quad core average 3-5 hours
              Corei7 quad core average 1 hour 30 min.

Comment

about right

from my limited experience with fab and now 2 rigs I would say that 8 hrs is about correct with your hardware. I was using an athlon 64 x2 4200+ which is a dual core and compressing 28gb to bd25 took about 7.5 hrs using same settings.

I am now using a 6 core amd processor and same file takes 3.5 hrs with same settings you have used. when I tried software settings on old rig it took 18 hrs with best quality and 11 hrs with normal quality..using nvidia 9500gt card...regards..
                PennsylvaniaRon
                \\\\|////
                ~ÖÖ~
                ----oOOo-(_)-oOOo----

Comment

Originally posted by brianjdc View Post
                  hey guys thanks for all the help. i didnt realize how much more intensive compressing bluray vs dvd was. guess i'll just compress overnight.
                  Compressing a Blu-Ray movie is very data intensive, and probably stresses your CPU more than you can imagine, but as I was reading everyone's comments here your times are long wow

I can rip a full Blu-Ray movie (never mind compress to 25GB, try DVD-DL in 1 hour 15 mins to 1.5 hours MAX...guess my hardware runs pretty damn good.
                  Windows 7 Ultimate x64
                  DVDFab 7.0.8.2 full

Comment

Working...
                  X